Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 06GTYellow
  • 1 Post By GregS550

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

CAI/Tune Worth it?

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a CAI/Tune for my 2017 Shelby GT350. I know the benefits and have put CAIs on every other mustang I've had ('85 GT, '97 GT, '11 GT). I have 2 dilemmas about doing it on the Shelby, though. The first is does it really "need" any mods? Before anyone says anything, I know....the answer is YES cars always need mods, but this thing is already stupid fast. The second concern I have is with the tune. Every decent CAI I've seen for this thing requires a new tune. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I keep remembering about the "Cylinder 8" issues from tunes back on the original Coyote motors and them voiding the warranty. I'd hate to cause an issue and void my warranty on a $60,000 car for a mod that it didn't really "need."

So, I guess my question for you guys is 2 fold:

1. Is there really a risk associated with the CAI/Tunes (from reputable manufacturers like K&N, JLT, BBK, etc.).
2. If not, does anyone have any recommendations on which one to go with?

Thanks in advance, guys.

P.S. I've attached some pics of the car, along with some aesthetic mods that my wife got me for my birthday.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	569769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3048.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	569777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922 (1).JPG
Views:	200
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	569785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2921 (1).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	569793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917 (1).JPG
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	569801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3050 (1).JPG
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	569809  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017
Apprentice

My jealousy over your ride has me unable to impartially comment on your question

HuntingKy likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
Rookie

Garage
Don't think any aftermarket CAI will show a gain over the 'stock' Shelby setup. It's already a very efficient.
Beechkid likes this.

17' Mustang GT, row your own 6-speed, Grabber Blue

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
PONY Member

The GT350 comes with the CAI that Ford Performance sells as part of the power pack for GTs and Ecoboosts. There may better CAIs but I wouldn't think there would be enough difference in power for even the most sensitive butt dyno to feel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Aftermarket CIA kits are all about the "look". all bark, no bite. Bling without cajones. The laughable power gains they may provide are worth 500 bucks and up? Nope.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, that was the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks guys! She'll be staying stock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017
Rookie

Garage
x2

2015 V6
K&N Intake CAI
Ported TB and Intake
Custom Magnaflow cat back system with H Pipe
SCT X4 Tuner
93 Octane MPT PRX Tune
SR Performance Coil Over w/ adjustable Dampener
19" Wheels w/ Hankook Tires
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechoh1 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a CAI/Tune for my 2017 Shelby GT350. I know the benefits and have put CAIs on every other mustang I've had ('85 GT, '97 GT, '11 GT). I have 2 dilemmas about doing it on the Shelby, though. The first is does it really "need" any mods? Before anyone says anything, I know....the answer is YES cars always need mods, but this thing is already stupid fast. The second concern I have is with the tune. Every decent CAI I've seen for this thing requires a new tune. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I keep remembering about the "Cylinder 8" issues from tunes back on the original Coyote motors and them voiding the warranty. I'd hate to cause an issue and void my warranty on a $60,000 car for a mod that it didn't really "need."

So, I guess my question for you guys is 2 fold:

1. Is there really a risk associated with the CAI/Tunes (from reputable manufacturers like K&N, JLT, BBK, etc.).
2. If not, does anyone have any recommendations on which one to go with?

Thanks in advance, guys.

P.S. I've attached some pics of the car, along with some aesthetic mods that my wife got me for my birthday.
I heard gt 350s can use a k&n cai without a tune. Though if tuned you'd get better results... I myself would end up tuning it anyways... Even if I had 800 hp...
https://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-se...1517gt350.html
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017
Apprentice

absolutely i love mine.
Apprentice

any one have experience with the performance pack in the ecoboost mustang? As far as aftermarket installation? I want to know how much Ford would charge for labor on something like that. I can get the pack for $600, but I'm wondering about the labor costs if Ford puts it in. I want to get the tune and CAI for the car, but don't want to do anything without a warranty, so would need Ford to install their parts. Thanks.
PONY Member

I have the FP Performance kit. I am very happy with it. You don't need to have Ford install it for the warranty. If you read the warranty document on the FP site it tells you any ASE certified tech can do it.

I did mine at my son's shop, he printed me a work order. I emailed it, the receipt for the kit and a picture of the rack with all his ASE techs certifications to FP, I had a confirmation back in less than two hours confirming my warranty.

You should not have to pay more than an hour labor for the install. Also, if you shop around you can get the kit for close to $500, mine was $509 from Levitton Ford.
Apprentice

I have the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 on my 17 s550 and love it.

2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special
Performance - Roush Axle Back | X-Pipe | GT350 Throttle Body w/ Spacer | GT350 CAI | BBK Oil Separator | Tune |
Suspension - CJ Lowering Springs [F:-1.5"/R:-1.0") | 20mm Spacers | MGP Red Caliper Covers |
Aesthetic - CF Roof Spoiler | GT350 side flare & rocker winglets | Diode Dynamics LED's throughout |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page