Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BCFDT-10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

2015 GT PP: Daily driver April-November. Responsibly aggressive on the street, tracked on a road course a few times each year, but not on my daily tires.
I needed to replace the factory Pirelli P-zeros, and was looking for a great all around daily driver tire that won't see winter driving. I was never a fan of the Pirellis. They would wheel hop, (even after extensive rear end stiffening), were quite twitchy and had violent correction characteristics at their limits, and additionally, they were noisy and rough. I got 17,000 miles out of the rears which were completely bald, and started with premature center wear at 12,000 miles, despite being inflated to only 28 psi.
I am aware I'm comparing a Max Performance to an Ultra High Performance tire, but strictly for the purpose of driving and enjoying this car daily and a bit more economically.
I decide to give these Firestones a try, mainly due to price and a treadwear rating of 340 vs 220 of the Pirellis. The following is my street tire, daily driver review of them. I would feel confident taking them to a track day, but I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track days on a track dedicated tire/wheel and brake set-up. So, again STREET TIRE/DAILY DRIVER REVIEW ONLY.
It took me a couple of weeks of experimentation to get the air pressure correct. 34 front, 29 rear cold PSI is perfect for me. That puts 100% of the contact patch down without rolling to the sidewall, gives a comfortable ride, and hopefully...wont't wear out the centers of the rear prematurely.
The first thing I noticed was that noise and ride quality were greatly improved. Steering feel is great under load, but immediate and borderline twitchy when initiating steering input from on center. Not a bad thing, just different. They track straight and true without transferring road surface imperfections into directional changes.
After I got the pressure dialed in I started pushing them. Hard. They have very good grip. Straight line is equivalent to Pirellis, but without violent wheel hop. I feel that they have about 95% of the Pirellis overall grip, but transmit better feedback when approaching their limits. And, corrections are much more smooth, fluid, and uneventful than the Pirellis "snap back" characteristics. I have about 3000K on them and have shed 1/32" off of the rear evenly across the tread. So, simple math shows that I should get 30k out of them since they had 10/32s new.
Wet weather traction is also very good, and surprisingly confidence inspiring considering the width and profile of them.
Final thoughts: While these are probably not the best tire in any one category, they are certainly one of the best average overall, and I have not found a single compromise. Especially for around $700/set. Perhaps these are the BFG KO2 All Terrain Tire of performance cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

fourdegrees11 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
I wanted to get those for my front tires, but tirerack was back-ordered for over a month, so I ended up with the HTRZ III. Just a quick note on your treadwear guesstimate, you really dont want to keep a tire once you get below 3-4/32"s of tread, so that puts you closer to 20k miles.

12 GT Brembo, MT82, 3.73 rear
Wheels/Tires - 19x10/11 SVE S350 w/ 285/35 Sumitomo HTR Z III & 305/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Suspension - Strange Adj Shocks/Struts - FRPP K-Spring front, Eibach Sportline rear - J&M CC Plates - BMR LCA/Relo - Steeda Adj UCA - BMR Adj Panhard - FRPP Sway Bars - FRPP Jounce/Bump Kit
Drivetrain - Blowfish Racing Bracket - Spec Stage2 Clutch/Steel Flywheel - SVE Clutch Cable - ShaftMasters Aluminum Driveshaft
Exhaust - DNA T-304 1-7/8 Shorty Headers - Solo Mach Full Catback
Engine - Stock, for now...

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I run them to slicks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page