paint fading already on 2015 ecoboost, any suggestions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

paint fading already on 2015 ecoboost, any suggestions?

My car is black, and I noticed some spots on the trunk lid area turning brown. is this a wax build up or fading paint? The car is not even 3 years old yet, is fading paint normal on these cars or what ? Wonder what is causing it. how do you fix that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017
Rookie

paint fading already on 2015 ecoboost, any suggestions?

Fading is not normal after 3 years. Production car shouldn’t fade even if neglected for a good 7-10 years. What state do you live in? I ask because if Florida or anywhere the sun is always out and hot fading is accelerated but not in 3 years. Depending on the coating or your protection regiment, I’d wash it with Regular Dawn Dish soap first as that will strip off all waxes/sealants, etc. then take a look at it. Any pictures?

Check out some of my step by step install videos if you like to watch them, and leave me suggestions as I like to install what people would like to see with full reviews! www.youtube.com/c/christopherayresfrs2

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ecoblack View Post
My car is black, and I noticed some spots on the trunk lid area turning brown. is this a wax build up or fading paint? The car is not even 3 years old yet, is fading paint normal on these cars or what ? Wonder what is causing it. how do you fix that?
I was looking at a couple 2015-2016 Ecoboost's at a local dealer the other day and thought something looked odd with the paint and the trunk lid is what really stood out to me. I brushed it off as maybe just dirty as we just had a little rain and it has been very humid lately... So I do find it funny/odd you mention it as I am reading it now as I am wondering if there is a issue in the making with them?!

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I would take a picture, but it might be hard to see in the sunshine, as I said its noticeable in low light. say if you had a flashlight pointed at in the dark, you would see a long brown streak in the trunk lid area. I live in Nevada. plenty of sunshine even in the dead of winter, it is bugging me. I noticed a lot of imperfections in the paint, swirls, scratches and last night i noticed a browning fade in the trunk area. I've been good about washing it and keeping it out of direct sunlight, I use the drive-thru car washes, that apply the protective coats and conditioning. I'm wondering if that could cause a build up of wax in areas. I won't hurt anything if I wash the car with dawn soap? I was thinking I would have it professionally detailed, you know hand wash and waxed for best results?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
Do you live in or near a big city? Smog and oxidation can be hell on paint and clearcoat.

Detail and polish the car. It will probably clean up.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I live 30 minutes from the nearest metro area. I live in a small city of about 20K people. I was thinking of having it professionally detailed I dont trust myself near cars when it comes to wax or paint.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

But I did buy the car from a ford dealer in the city as my town doesn't have a Ford dealership. And like most car dealers the car was sitting in the sun when I looked at and before I test drove it
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017
PONY Member

Garage
I've starting to wonder the same thing about mine. My mustang is white and even when I first got it I noticed a few brown specs randomly on the car. A few I repaired by sanding and a paint pen when I first bought it. Others since then I have removed with some elbow grease when washing and in some cases with a scratch remover compound. There are some spots now that I've had the car for a year that just won't come out. I originally thought these were being caused by the crape mertyl trees over my driveway but I cut them down months ago. I park in a garage at work so no other trees dripping sap anywhere. Then I noticed this last time washing that in the trunk well some larger brown spots forming more then likely from the water that build up in there. So I'm really starting to think it is rust starting and the car is only 1.5 years old.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017
PONY Member

Well, bad paint isn't going to turn brown. Bad clear coat can turn a yellowish color, but odds are something is building up there.

Don't use dish doap on paint. It'll speed up oxidation. Just, no.

Swirls and scratches are not from bad paint either, they're from bad washing (no offense). Drive through car washes are likely the cause of those.

Professional detail would probably do wonders for your car.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

That's why I wanted to get it professionally detailed. I don't trust car washes nor do I trust my skill level and I only have access to unfiltered hard tap water
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
Well, bad paint isn't going to turn brown. Bad clear coat can turn a yellowish color, but odds are something is building up there.
My thoughts as well. So what is the brown they all seem to be talking about?

What I saw just looked like faded paint on the ones I was looking at. I will say I didn't look super close so maybe was some brown, but I don't for sure...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
PONY Member

Oh, oh, I just had a light bulb moment. I hand wash this car (don't know why, previous owner wasn't so kind), but car just before this I drove through the car wash every car wash. I had brown on the back. It was worse when I got the car. Anyways, I was wondering was the brown was too, and then one day after a car wash, I dried it right there at the place, and the brown was from the car wash. I don't know if a combination of all the colorful suds made brown, or if it was something else, but I had the brown. After that I started drying it right then and there and the brown area slowly got smaller, but never fully went away. Scrubbing it would of burned the clear coat.

Anyways, if it's the same thing I had, it's from the car wash, and a professional should have no problems getting rid of it.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
Oh, oh, I just had a light bulb moment. I hand wash this car (don't know why, previous owner wasn't so kind), but car just before this I drove through the car wash every car wash. I had brown on the back. It was worse when I got the car. Anyways, I was wondering was the brown was too, and then one day after a car wash, I dried it right there at the place, and the brown was from the car wash. I don't know if a combination of all the colorful suds made brown, or if it was something else, but I had the brown. After that I started drying it right then and there and the brown area slowly got smaller, but never fully went away. Scrubbing it would of burned the clear coat.

Anyways, if it's the same thing I had, it's from the car wash, and a professional should have no problems getting rid of it.
Interesting! If I remember right the new Mustang trunks seem to collect water as they slope down toward the back window, but just before getting to the edge it slopes back up leaving a nice place for water and the like to collect... hmmm this would make a good place for dirt and whatnot to collect causing the look.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post

Interesting! If I remember right the new Mustang trunks seem to collect water as they slope down toward the back window, but just before getting to the edge it slopes back up leaving a nice place for water and the like to collect... hmmm this would make a good place for dirt and whatnot to collect causing the look.
This is definitely a bad design. I clean the area every time I was my car which is at least twice a month but it's too a point that it's starting to permanently stain. Luckily it's hidden but still bugs me. Not sure what Ford was thinking when they designed the trunk. I'll snap a photo tomorrow if I remember.

Interesting thought about the car wash causing the brown spots. When I first got the car I thought it was specs of brown paint. I do occasionally use a touchless Lazer wash by my house. Helps keep the crud down in between washes and no scratchy brushes. Might have to rethink that now if that's what's causing the brown specs. I'm curious if there OP had his from the same culprit.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Would love to see some pics of this brown everybody is discussing.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page