engine air filter recommendations? aftermarket or stock replacement? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

engine air filter recommendations? aftermarket or stock replacement?

What do you guys recommend to replace engine air filter on an ecoboost? stock or aftermarket? I'm getting my oil changed soon, and am going to see if my air filter needs changing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ecoblack View Post
What do you guys recommend to replace engine air filter on an ecoboost? stock or aftermarket? I'm getting my oil changed soon, and am going to see if my air filter needs changing.
Nothing wrong with a stock replacement filter. If you are willing to get involved in periodically cleaning the filter the after market drop in filters from K&N, Green, Airaid, etc will cost more but it will last the life of the car.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

are aftermarket filters good or bad for Turbos? I heard different things

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017
BOSS Member

The OE’s have an excellent air intake/filter system....andI would avoid oil impregnatedfilters. While they have their purposein off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins wherethe oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video forthe techs on this (flatratetech.com). If you look at the flow data, WIXHP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plusexcellent filtering, for a fraction of the price!

Testand Corporation conducted anISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link:

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet-diesel-tech-articles/16611-duramax-air-filter-testing.html.

“After only 24 minutes the K&Nhad accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, theK&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt andcaptured 37% less dirt.”

A Ford MasterTech made this videowhich talks directly about the aftermarket CAI’s....and although you are just looking at a replacement filter, he talks about oil contamination as well.

Specific to K&N's million mile warranty...that is a joke and here is my own personal OASIS documented experience with K&N....
I installed an oemreplacement unit on our new 1997 Cougar Sport (1 week old, factory specialorder), the filter was purchased directly from K&N. For those who may notknow, the Cougar Sport is essentially a mustang GT with 4-wheel independentsuspension except it is built on the MN12 chassis (LSC Coupe) which gives extrastiffness. Within 90 days, multiple intake location specific sensors(paraphrasing here) went bad...throwing codes. After Ford verified and replacedunder warranty twice the sensors during this period, when they analyized theparts, they determined oil residue from the K&N caused the componentfailure. Ford recommended the filter (K&N) be removed...and there has beenno other failures to date (2017) on these components (21 years later).

I called K&N andadvised them (very nicely) of the issue....back then the K&N filter wasaround $60 iirr......they stated if you are not happy with the filter and havethe original box we will take it back and refund the $. Even with fulldocumentation, K&N never (including multiple visits with theirstaff at their offices and at conference meetings) would ever takeany action and just kept insisting there must be another cause for this withthe car...there wasn't. K&N has made repeated references throughout theyears on multiple chat sites that this situation has never occurred, yet theoasis documentation is very well established.

IMHO...for filters....Napa Gold, Wix,, etc are excellent! and yes, you let that fine dirt in....it will certainly impact the longetivity of the turbo impellors.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

what about a dry flow filter like from AEM?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ecoblack View Post
what about a dry flow filter like from AEM?
I haven't seen any specific data on them, but they are a typical cotton gauze type filter IIRR...... so, I really would not recommend..

As far as general flow goes, you can see by this basic flow test, there is little difference in cotton vs paper (except the paper is a much better filter)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017
PONY Member

Contrary to all the tests my experience with oiland gauze filters has been very different.

Back in the 70's I raced motorcycle enduros. With a paper filter I could not complete a 100 mile Enduro in in dry dusty conditions without stopping to knock off dirt on the filter because it was plugged to the point the engine would barely run. Also, after one of these runs the intake track from the filter to the carb would have a coating of fine dust like dirt.

K&N was relatively new to the market and I decided to try one. Never had a K&N plug up and even more important there was never a coating of dirt on the intake track, which tells me they do a better job.

The other big advantage in Enduro racing was if a paper filter got wet it would not flow air and you would have to remove it for the remainder of the race. Even after it was dry it would be restrictive enough to not be useable again. The oiled gauze wasn't effected by being wet.

Based on that experience I have been using drop in oiled gauze filters on all my vehicles since the 70s when they were available. I have put mid 200,000s of miles on a number of vehicles with no I'll effects. I have also transfered filters between cars and have accumulated close to 400,000 miles on a single filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page