2017 Mustang GT C Pillar Leaking on Passenger Side - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MustangLife

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

2017 Mustang GT C Pillar Leaking on Passenger Side

I noticed today after a hard rain that there was a small amount of water leaking into the interior of my mustang at the passenger side C pillar between the seams of the plastic panels. The water streamed down the interior plastic panels and ended up dampening the fabric portion of the passenger side rear seat bottom (between the plastic panel and the seat).

Has anyone heard of this issue happening before and know of any possible causes? My only guess is that water is leaking under the rear window due to a bad seal while setting in the rear window.

The car is only 9 months old and this is the first time I noticed the leak (so it may have been leaking the whole time.)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner View Post
I noticed today after a hard rain that there was a small amount of water leaking into the interior of my mustang at the passenger side C pillar between the seams of the plastic panels. The water streamed down the interior plastic panels and ended up dampening the fabric portion of the passenger side rear seat bottom (between the plastic panel and the seat).

Has anyone heard of this issue happening before and know of any possible causes? My only guess is that water is leaking under the rear window due to a bad seal while setting in the rear window.

The car is only 9 months old and this is the first time I noticed the leak (so it may have been leaking the whole time.)

Thanks.
Honestly on such new cars I am not sure why people worry themselves with the problems. This is what the BUMPER TO BUMPER Warranty is for. This is the dealerships problem to diagnose and fix at their expense.

With that said I think you assumption is correct, but take to the dealer and let them do the work for no cost to you.

huberoy123 likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017
Rookie

Bad urethane process on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Honestly on such new cars I am not sure why people worry themselves with the problems. . . . .
well, it does give us something to talk about on these boards! ha ha

Hopefully this is a fairly simple / easy fix of the window seal and the dealer can take care of it quickly

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017
Rookie

I am very surprised things like these are happening on the very new cars. Torque News reports that the 2018 Mustang is arriving to dealerships this week. Perhaps it's better if they start fixing the issues with the 2017 Stang.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/arriv...ig-sales-surge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
well, it does give us something to talk about on these boards! ha ha

Hopefully this is a fairly simple / easy fix of the window seal and the dealer can take care of it quickly
I mean there is plenty other things to worry about in life. Also plenty of other things to talk about on the boards as well. For something this simple though no need to worry just shoot by the dealer and have them fix at no cost.

Now if dealer toys giving the run around come to the board to learn all you can and then fire back at them with what was learned.

Right?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is a final update on this issue. I also had a squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger side as well that was look at. The squeak would only happen in the cold weather and I though it might have been in the rear suspension.

Summary:
I took my mustang back to the dealership I bought it from one year ago. They addressed both issues.
-The leak was caused by a bad seal in the urethane on the rear window. They ended up ordering a whole new rear window from the factory and had a third party install the glass at their shop. No more issues.
-The squeak was being cause by the rear passenger seat latch. An adjustment was made (not sure what) and the noise has stopped.

Details:
I took the car into the dealership on November 30th, 2017. I did not get my car back until December 31st, 2017. I was upset that these two issues took so long to get fixed, however I did have a loaner car the whole time and nothing was charged to me in the end.

My car had been at Ford for five days before they even started to look at it. They blamed that it was right after Thanksgiving and they were backed up. On that fifth day, the technician who would be working on my car asked if I would come in and drive him around to show him the squeak. We drove around for 10 minutes with little luck of making the noise sound off. Of course, on this day, it had warmed up (about 60F) and the squeak went away. However, I had an audio recording of the noise on my phone that I showed to the technician and Service Manager.

After that day, they first began to fix the leak. Another individual in the shop (not my technician) had "made an adjustment" to the glass. They water tested it with air and soapy water and found that the leak stopped. They called me and told me that it was fixed and now they would start on the squeak.

Next, my technician began to find the squeak. The tech re-torqued all fasteners in the rear passenger side suspension with no luck of making the noise go away. He and the manager then spent two weeks trying to find the noise (making adjustments, driving, more adjustments, driving, etc...). Eventually they caught on that the squeak would stop when the rear passenger seat was down or if someone was sat in the seat. After this, they figured out that the noise was coming from the seat latch. They told me they adjustments to the latch and it stopped. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask the most important question of "What adjustments were made to the latch exactly?". But, 1000 miles later and the noise has in fact stopped.

BACK TO THE REAR GLASS!! I was called by the service manager after 3 weeks and he told me that the glass had began to leak again. Whooo. I get to drive a loaner car for longer. The manager said they would order a new rear glass from Ford and install it. Christmas time now. The glass took 4 days to get to the dealership. Then a third party was called to install the glass. While installing the glass, the company chipped the paint on the upper driver side crown/ridge of the window channel. I can't win. No worries though, I have rock chips on the front of the car that were bigger. Glass finally installed, and they even remembered to hook up the rear window defroster.

At the end of this month long adventure I gathered the technician, Shop Manager, and Service Manager to talk about exactly what had been done to the car so that everyone was on the same page and we could close this event out. I mainly did this because the communication between the dealership and me was not great. I had to call the dealership 95% of the time to get an update on my car.

Attached you will find photos of the leak that I took beforehand to show to the dealership (otherwise they probably would have doubted me and done nothing; it was hard to get it to leak since it was so small). Also attached is a sound clip of the noise that I showed the technician.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	587378   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	587386   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	587394   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	587402  
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Rear Passenger Seat Latch Noise.mp3 (66.1 KB, 164 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018
Rookie

same issue

I have had the same issue. I have a 2017 Mustang GT Premium. Triple Yellow with all blacked out. It was on the showroom floor inside when I bought it and garaged for about a year when not driving. I then had to park it outside a few months ago and when my daughter got in after a rain the passenger rear seat belt was soaked. You could pull the whole belt out and soaked with water. The seat was wet as well. It leaked the same spot you described. The water also went into the spare tire area and would fill with water. I took it to dealership and couldn't get it to leak. Went home and leaked again. Took back and still couldn't find leak after testing. Went home leaked again. This time I got it on video. So they thought it was a seal above door and tried to fix it by replacing that. Didn't work. Leaked again and brought in 30 minutes after I picked it up. Now I called the Ford people and car back in shop for almost 2 weeks and still cant get it to leak. They see water spots inside where water was. Now the Ford Rep at headquarters wont let me have it back yet because I think they almost at the buy back stage. Also both puddle lamps have been replaced 3 times. Love the car but this is crazy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018
Apprentice

If it was only 9 months old you could take it back to ford and let them find out what is causing it as I am sure new cars have some sort of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page