how do you tell if your rear bumper is loose? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

how do you tell if your rear bumper is loose?

my 15 mustang recently got hit while I was parked and seemed to only damaged the sidemarker a bit and put a deep scratch above the sidemarker, all occurring on the passenger rear side. I had a body shop do an estimate, it looks like only minor surface damage. today I was washing and waxing the car, I was buffing on the rear bumper towards where it meets the quarter panel, it seemed a bit bouncy like a bit loose. I might just be imagining things, and the body shop didn't seem to notice any bumper damage besides minor cosmetics. So i was wondering, how would I know if the bumper was loose besides the obvious visual clues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I'd look for another '15 Mustang and ask the owner if they would mind you comparing them (there is probably one on a local car lot). Damage to the rubber bumpers is hard to see.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I thought about that. I think thats a good idea. I noticed the left side matched the right in feel, could a low speed impact effect the opposite side where the impact took place?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ecoblack View Post
I thought about that. I think thats a good idea. I noticed the left side matched the right in feel, could a low speed impact effect the opposite side where the impact took place?
I don't know other than to opine that damage on newer cars is harder to see...that said, if your body shop did not alert on anything other than cosmetic you are likely in good shape---they are in the business to repair cars, seems unlikely they'd pass a chance to do repairs if you needed them. Keep smiling.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017
Apprentice

Just because the outside damage doesn't look bad doesn't mean the inner parts like brackets and compression foam hasn't been damaged. Get another estimate from a/different Ford dealer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017
Apprentice

You can definitely tell if its loose. Ive been rear ended 3 times so far. The bumper should fit tight and firm at all seems. If youre not sure, just go by a ford dealership and check out the bumpers on the cars they have on the lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page