worried about everything on my 15 ecoboost. Opened driver door a bit too wide... - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgc333

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

worried about everything on my 15 ecoboost. Opened driver door a bit too wide...

I am paranoid about everything on my 2015 Mustang. Its the nicest car I have ever owned, and I aim to keep it that way. Today, I opened the driver door a bit too wide. I didn't hear any cracks or creeks, should I be worried about any damage to hinges or springs, or did I get lucky? The door opens and shuts normal, it was dark already, so I'll check in the morning to see if the door is still sitting straight, I'm pretty sure everything is okay, I just worry too much when I have nice things. Thank you guys for your continuing advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017
PONY Member

You can't open it to wide, there are stops built into the hinges. I suppose if you slammed the door against the stops you could bend the hinges.

MustangLife likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ecoblack View Post
I am paranoid about everything on my 2015 Mustang. Its the nicest car I have ever owned, and I aim to keep it that way. Today, I opened the driver door a bit too wide. I didn't hear any cracks or creeks, should I be worried about any damage to hinges or springs, or did I get lucky? The door opens and shuts normal, it was dark already, so I'll check in the morning to see if the door is still sitting straight, I'm pretty sure everything is okay, I just worry too much when I have nice things. Thank you guys for your continuing advice.

Are you joking with the post or nah? Unless you slam the door or basically open it and keep pushing it past where it wants to stop I don't think you can do damage to it. I mean I guess if you open it into a nearby object that would do some damage, but what your described, which I am not sure I know completely, you didn't and can't do any damage that way...

Don't worry so much you still have a bumper to bumper warranty and then an even longer powertrain warranty that covers all the major stuff. So enjoy the car!

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

No I just opened it just a hair more than I think would be acceptable. But I didn't hear any funny noises.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Wait until you have kids! They will show you how much abuse the hinges (and window mechanisms) can really take...and then you will have grandkids and not care

I think you're good. Door hinges can take a bit of overextension on occasion without damage. What you want to avoid is placing so much pressure on the door hinges that they bend, or the mount pads are set askew (but they are really tough).

I know a guy who had a passenger door hanging open (on his wife's nearly new car) in the garage and kicked the car out of gear causing it to roll backwards...the door scooping up tool cabinet and lawnmower before coming to rest against the garage door jamb. THAT took considerable adjustment and bending the hinges to realign the door...a minor accident on right front a month or two later got it all fixed good as new. I forget how long I was on double top secret probation for that one

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017
Apprentice

I think most door opening damage is done in high wind conditions. Driver goes to get out of car not remembering the high wind direction. Wind grabs door and rips it from drivers hand and the damage is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page