285's on 18x10's in the rear? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

285's on 18x10's in the rear?

As I look around online for how I'd like to fix up a 2018 Mustang, I asked OE Wheels about whether or not their 18x9/10 wheel set fits on a 2018 Mustang.... They said yes.

Anyway, I'm not all that interested in ordering a new Mustang with a P-Pack, because the 2015 I tested with it had a pretty noticeable harsh ride. The P-Pack springs were quite tight, and the 19" rims made for a tighter ride as well. So, my idea was to stick to an 18" diameter rim profile like we see on the 2018 base model GT, yet get a wider set for some wider rubber to get a little more traction to the rear for acceleration. A friend of mine drove an older 2015 base model with the stock 18's and 235 tires, and he said whenever he would give it a bit on the on ramps to the highway, it became pretty easy to light those puppies up way too early for what would be expected from a V8 Mustang. Hence, my idea.

Has anyone tried such a setup?

Front - 18x9 with 255/45R-18

Rear - 18x10 with 285/40R-18

The difference in sidewall between the 275's on the P-Pack and 285's on 18" rims is as follows 275/40R19 - 4.3", and the 285/40R18 is 4.5". I'm thinking that extra ~1/4" sidewall might help a smidge. Since total diameter is 27", I could potentially lower the car a half inch for profile. I found that Michelin makes the Sport A/S 3+ in these sizes, and that would be perfect for living here in the Pacific NW, with all the rain and black ice we get in the winter. Yet the 285's in the rear should provide plenty of fun in the summer.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on this, let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017
PONY Member

as long as the offsets on the wheels are good you will have no issues with those tires. I run 275/40/20 and 315/35/20 no issues.

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017
Rookie

Keep in mind if you go for the magna ride option with the performance pack on the 18s you get what feels like a COMPLETELY different car. the change in side for each mode with the magnetic dampeners is not slight. It goes from super smooth to feeling the date on a dime in track mode, which is a good thing.

From everything i have looked at on the net, finding videos that talk about the magna ride are very few and far between. It is the suspension from the GT350 which is different in most aspects, its not just the dampeners, there are a number of different components.

2018 Ruby Red GT PP with all the goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page