really small dent on hood/deep paint scratch. any suggestions on repair? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

really small dent on hood/deep paint scratch. any suggestions on repair?

I washed my mustang today, I noticed a white streak I couldn't wash off. I realized it was a deep scratch, but on closer inspection, whatever scratched the hood made a very small dent where it scratched. any ideas on repairs? we're talking really small but still noticeable if you're looking for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Photo would be helpful.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

A few pictures from earlier. Tried to get an angle where you could see the small dimple
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_164335_1516693104034.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	844.5 KB
ID:	588274   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_164409_1516693138205.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	721.1 KB
ID:	588290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_164345_1516693153640.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	956.7 KB
ID:	588298  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018
PONY Member

Garage
That's a tough one. I would try to build up the area, using several coats of touch up paint. Buff it after the coats are dry, and finish with some clear coat. Try to restrict all your efforts to the affected area. Otherwise, you will only make the area worse.

You can also get an estimate from a dentless repair service.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018
BOSS Member

I will take some exception to the above advise.......

1st, if you can see a deviation in the body panel, I would contact a paintless dent repair person who can easily massage the panel back where it belongs eliminating all visual defects.

then, with the panel raised back to original height/plane, engage in paint repair which might only require a polish or if the scratch has penetrated below the clear coat or the through the base coat (color), then apply paint correction procedures....it will come out flawlessly!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
I would contact a paintless dent repair person who can easily massage the panel back where it belongs eliminating all visual defects.
Depends on where the dent is on the hood. I had a similar situation from a rock thrown by another car hitting my hood (but the dent was more pronounced). The paintless dent company could not get their tools to the dent since it was where the upper and lower skins were sandwiched together. If the dent had been 2” to the right they could have repaired it. Wound up having to have the dent filled and the hood repainted.

2006 GT 5-sp Premium Convertible
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Let us know what you decided to do.

With my lack of auto body repair skills, my general approach for my daily drivers is to mask these one-off defects until I need a full panel repair and repaint.

A couple months ago I had a minor brush with a deer that did minor damage to the corner of the hood in addition to breaking the headlight and buckling the front corner of the fender too. The repair required the hood be repainted so I paid out of pocket to remove some hood rot on the leading edge and repair some dents and scratches like you have. The extra out of pocket for labor amounted to $350.

I have a 2012 in black, so its relatively easy to mask very minor rock and sand nicks using a Black Sharpie. Especially on the front bumper cover. The point is, be creative if you don't have the resources or skills to handle the damage right away.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page