Engine and exhaust noise over speakers? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Engine and exhaust noise over speakers?

I've seen this posted several times, (maybe always by the same person?) The statement that FORD pipes exhaust notes and engine noise over the speaker system even when the radio is off, in order to enhance the "Feel" of the car. Can anyone confirm or deny this for sure? I know some of the models had a "SOUND TUBE" that transmitted intake noise to the compartment, but this was simply a hollow tube that lead from the engine to the passenger compartment right under the instrument cluster. The fact was the new chassis was so stiff that engine noise was not being transmitted to the driver, marketing thought it was a great idea! However, every aftermarket cold air kit, intercooler, turbo swap, blower kit deletes the tube first off!

So can someone cut and paste from a shop manual or owners manual or even a FORD print add somewhere that the sound comes over the speakers!

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018
PONY Member

Only the Ecoboost engine has sound pumped through the speakers. The 5.0 has the tube.

I could do a search and find documentation on this but I am leaving that for you to do.

Dave

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Only the Ecoboost engine has sound pumped through the speakers. The 5.0 has the tube.
That's what they say. However, it's becoming apparent that even the GT350 has some degree of "electronically enhanced" engine sounds too. If that is in fact the case then it wouldn't be surprising of the 5.0 has it as well.

It's not just Ford either.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:

I could do a search and find documentation on this but I am leaving that for you to do.

Dave
Yeah I don't know where this info is coming from but my 16 does not. If it was coming through the speakers it would be louder the closer you are to the actual speakers and I can attest that it is not. Don't know about other years, models etc but my Eco does not.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018
PONY Member

Where it comes from is every magazine article published when the S550 Mustang came out talked about the engine noise coming through the speakers on the Ecoboost Mustang. It is called the sound Symposer by Ford.

Everytime one of these threads come out there are a few folks that say they can here it but the vast majority say you have to pull the stereo fuse to kill the system before you can actually tell what the car sounds like without it. I doubt you are going to hear anything by getting closer to the speakers since it really on adds sound under load while you accelerate.

I have never been motivated to pull the fuse and I certainly could not distinguish the sounds on either my 15 or 17 Ecoboosts. On the 17 I have the FP tune which I have seen it reported that the tune turns of the Symposer but I didn't hear a difference.

Much the same with the noise cancellation that comes through the speakers. Some folks say they can tell. I have disconnected the microphone in the head liner that feeds the system and I can only tell the absence of a very low level sound when going down the road when the interior is otherwise very quiet.

Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018
Rookie

Sounds like you need an upgraded exhaust system if you can even hear the radio. Lol just saying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Where it comes from is every magazine article published when the S550 Mustang came out talked about the engine noise coming through the speakers on the Ecoboost Mustang. It is called the sound Symposer by Ford.

Everytime one of these threads come out there are a few folks that say they can here it but the vast majority say you have to pull the stereo fuse to kill the system before you can actually tell what the car sounds like without it. I doubt you are going to hear anything by getting closer to the speakers since it really on adds sound under load while you accelerate.

I have never been motivated to pull the fuse and I certainly could not distinguish the sounds on either my 15 or 17 Ecoboosts. On the 17 I have the FP tune which I have seen it reported that the tune turns of the Symposer but I didn't hear a difference.

Much the same with the noise cancellation that comes through the speakers. Some folks say they can tell. I have disconnected the microphone in the head liner that feeds the system and I can only tell the absence of a very low level sound when going down the road when the interior is otherwise very quiet.

Dave
I don't know about how or where these magazine articles got their info. I do know that the sound isn't pumped into the non existent speakers in my foyer where I use the remote start on my key chain to start my vehicle every morning. It surely isn't somehow wired to the picture frame on my wall that vibrates when I remote start my car sitting in the driveway out front with the windows on the house all closed. I could list plenty of scenarios that I can physically prove the sound coming from the engine is not amplified or manufactured by the car speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page