Convertible top smells - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Convertible top smells

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. The interior of my 2016 convertible has an odd smell. Seems to be coming from the top itself. Kind of like burnt canvas or chemical smell. It's been consistently bad since I purchased it used a year ago. I've steam cleaned the fabric seats, carpets and headliner twice with no improvement. I also ran an Ozone machine, giving temporary relief. I've searched for animal nests - under the front and rear seats, under the dash, in between the canvas top and headliner, - but no sign of infestation. No sign of water leaks, mildew or mold either. Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018
Apprentice

Did you check the hydraulic pump for the top? It should have some type of fluid to run the top up and down. Mine uses ATF and I had to top it off frequently in my Cobra but it can give off an odor. It's supposed to be a sealed system but even a slight leak would cause what may be construed as a "chemical" smell. Good luck on finding the source.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018
PONY Member

Unfortunately, that's one of the bad things about the clothtop cars. A brand new top smells of vinyl offgassing and an old top smells of mildew, dry canvass or ATF.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Belated thanks for the responses. Does anyone know where the hydraulic pump is located on a 2016? Its not behind the rear seat back.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018
PONY Member
2.3L Member

According to this article: Ford improves top design on its 2015 Mustang convertible | Autoweek it's an electromechanical drive system

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

.....ah ha! Thanks...... seats out, trunk apart, thought I was overlooking something! Back to square one trying to locate source of the odor.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018
PONY Member

Are you sure it's the top? Carpet with mildew is a nasty smell. Years ago my son spilled a Slurpee on the carpet in the back seat area of my truck but didn't say anything. I tell you what, my truck smelled nasty after awhile. Almost to the point of unable to drive it. Maybe something spilled or water leaked onto carpet somewhere? Under carpet is some jute style insulation is some places, and that stuff has a chemical smell when wet (we have hundreds of rolls of it here at work). I've never had a convertible Mustang, but I have had other cars with soft tops, and I've never had one smell like you're describing.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks….. certainly could be an old spill. It’s been like this since I bought it a year ago. It was a rental, so God knows what had happened. I had a tbird a few years back that had mice nesting in the hardtop – between the outer shell and the headliner. Horrible smell, I had to replace the headliner. With that in mind, I spent a good hour in the Mustang the other day looking in every crevice under the seats, under the dash, in the vents, between the canvas top and the headliner. Also replaced the cabin filter. No indication of rodents. So I’m back to fabric seats and/or rug. I bought a nice portable rug cleaner – I’ll scrub the interior again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page