Ford Mustang Forum banner

Help on buying a Mustang

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  2012bigredstang 
#1 ·
Hi. I am 16 years old, and I currently drive a jeep, but am selling it due to issues with fitting, as I’m 6’5. The leg room is a little tight, and with research I found that the mustang has a couple more inches of leg room. My dad isn’t fond of me having a sports car because of its size, but apparently it’s one of the safest sports cars. I need help convincing him this is a good, safe car to get despite it being a “sports car”. Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

At 16 I can say the GT (V8) is going to kill whoever is paying your insurance be that you or your parents for at least your first 2 years. They don't make the V6 new anymore, but that would be a good option if you pick one up used for insurance. I wonder if the 4 cylinder ecoboost is good on insurance for younger people? I mean high potential modded, but small engine from a insurance standpoint so should be good, right? hmmmm

#5 ·
Yeah I don't really care for the S550 V6 to be honest as Ford didn't care about it very much and you can only get with base options so pretty much no options... Who does your insurance you or your parents? If your parents no need to be ashamed to say that as well your only 16 in HS so it is ok. haha I ask because you should have who ever handles your insurance call and talk to your agent and discuss insuring options (yes there are different ways they can do it to lower rates for everybody on the policy) and how much of a difference it would be for a V6 or 4cyl ecoboost. To be honest you might be surprised which is cheaper and if the 4cyl ecoboost is cheaper then it is the way to go between the v6 and 4cyl ecoboost in my opinion. The 4cyl ecoboost you can get with about every option under the sun and man the aftermarket potential they have is just insane.

An important thing to note is the V6 is no longer produced so that might effect parts availability down the road as the S550 V6 was cut short and never liked by Ford anyway... Also resale who knows what that will be like down the road...

#6 ·
what climate do you live in? A RWD is not a good all season car even with snow tires. Get something cheap to begin with. Heck I started a 2001 camry when I was 16 and then I owned a 2003 camry then an acura tsx then Lexus is 250 then toyota venza+now mustang 2015 ecoboost and I am only 24. I have a feeling you may not be responsible enough since you have to ask on forums on advice to tell your parents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.