New 2018 GT overheats on the way to dealership - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

New 2018 GT overheats on the way to dealership

So Friday I picked up a brand new 2018 GT and drove it home. I'd purchased the Mustang via a friend at a dealership a couple of hours from my house. On the way home the emissions light came on. Since it was late and I thought it was a glitch I decided to get it addressed in the morning.

I called a local dealer Saturday to look at what I thought was some sort of "glitch", on the way to the dealer first a message pops up to get my battery serviced and then a few miles later I get an overheated engine message popping up. I coasted of the expressway (about 1-2 miles) and into a local gas station to call for a tow. If I tried to apply the gas at all the engine seemed to be using only some of the cylinders.

After getting it towed to the dealer, they were able to pull out two belts by simply reaching in and pulling and one of the belts was chewed up. Seems that they worked loose somehow and caused the issues that came up. I have it at the dealership now to replace the belts and check things over.

I have two questions if anyone can provide their opinion..

1- Should this have been identified and corrected at the dealership before delivering the car?
2 - I had the engine running HOT for maybe 3-4 minutes while coasting or at a slow speed until I was able to park the car. Obviously this isn't the best situation but what's the likelihood of any engine damage?

Not the best way to start a new car experience that's for sure!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
BOSS Member

In short, maybe, maybe not...….depends on the cause......could have been a defective belt(s), pulley, etc.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It does seem like the dealer should have noticed the bad belts in their "prep" but like Beechkid said, who knows what might have happened. Plus I don't think they really do any "prep" these days, other than a quick hose-down if you're lucky (or not lucky, if you'd rather was your car yourself)

The engine has "limp mode" to protect it from damage due to overheating (or other issues) so hopefully no damage done . . . but make sure it is noted in the dealer's service records and on your receipt just in case.
Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
So Friday I picked up a brand new 2018 GT and drove it home. I'd purchased the Mustang via a friend at a dealership a couple of hours from my house. On the way home the emissions light came on. Since it was late and I thought it was a glitch I decided to get it addressed in the morning.

I called a local dealer Saturday to look at what I thought was some sort of "glitch", on the way to the dealer first a message pops up to get my battery serviced and then a few miles later I get an overheated engine message popping up. I coasted of the expressway (about 1-2 miles) and into a local gas station to call for a tow. If I tried to apply the gas at all the engine seemed to be using only some of the cylinders.

After getting it towed to the dealer, they were able to pull out two belts by simply reaching in and pulling and one of the belts was chewed up. Seems that they worked loose somehow and caused the issues that came up. I have it at the dealership now to replace the belts and check things over.

I have two questions if anyone can provide their opinion..

1- Should this have been identified and corrected at the dealership before delivering the car?
2 - I had the engine running HOT for maybe 3-4 minutes while coasting or at a slow speed until I was able to park the car. Obviously this isn't the best situation but what's the likelihood of any engine damage?

Not the best way to start a new car experience that's for sure!

Thanks in advance for any input!
I agree with your statement as this definitely "Not the best way to start a new car experience that's for sure!"!

Well a couple thoughts from me:

1. Just by the chain of events you laid out I don't think they could have noticed this... I mean lets walk through it. Did you not test drive the car? Sounds like you were almost home before any sign of issue arrived. Then near the dealer when all went to hell. So it took some miles and time for it all to happen. So short of them spending that time in the car it would be hard to find the issue. Also that much time in every car they sell would be a lot. Plus personally I hate getting into a NEW car that has more than a handful of miles on it to be honest.

2. I wouldn't sweat this to much. I mean sure it sucks as you bought this car and already have a worry. Good news is that it happened early and will be addressed early. Therefore you have pretty much the full warranties left. Motor is covered for 5yr/60,000 miles so any issues should arise in that timeframe. I wouldn't worry about it more than a few thoughts here and there. Now if this happened at 4yrs/50,000 miles or so sure I would be worrying and trying to get them to provide some kind of extended warranty to cover any issues that could be related to this, but in your position don't sweat it.

**Edit: I see the post didn't post before I closed my laptop and when I opened came back it posted and instead of 1st I am 3rd reply. So some of what I say has been said now, but figured I typed it out I might as well let it post since I can't delete it... ** haha
Beechkid and Old Goat Ninja like this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018
Rookie

Thanks for posting this. I was ready t0 get a 2018 GT Premium but after hearing now many stories like this and the MT-82 transmission defect and TSB that was issued I'm heading elsewhere. Even in 2018 they just don't know how to build a good car. Shame. If I had been in your shoes and the car crapped out like that after picking it up I would have driven it through the showroom window.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was ready t0 get a 2018 GT Premium but after hearing now many stories like this and the MT-82 transmission defect and TSB that was issued I'm heading elsewhere. Even in 2018 they just don't know how to build a good car. Shame. If I had been in your shoes and the car crapped out like that after picking it up I would have driven it through the showroom window.
Understandable, but keep in mind this is not the norm. Most buy new 2018's and have zero issues. On a forum like this, for any car, you're going to see posts like this because that's what people need help with, answers for, etc. You're not going to see very many posting "Hey I bought a new 2018 and had zero issues so far" on forums. If you go to other forums for other cars you're looking at, I'd be surprised if there were no posts with people having problems.
huberoy123 and my89foxbody like this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing View Post
Psshhhh I am sorry, but I take posts like these as nothing more than a funny joke to give me a good laugh... Every brand has issues. Hell I know I will be banned for my next statement, but I just bought a Honda Civic Type R and that is Honda's pride and joy icon car at the moment and it in the start sold for up to or more than 15K over sticker so 50K+ and currently sells still at a lot of places for 5-10K above sticker so 45K+ car. (I was one of the "lucky" people to find and buy at MSRP so a 35K car.) It has issues. 1 of the issues being transmission issues. Grids in 2nd gear was very common early on and hopefully fixed as the complaints have slowed down from owners. It has some noises I noticed form mile 18 when I picked it up and it has same and a coupe other odd noises. It is a sports car not your grandma's Buick it is going to have noises and quirks as it is just part of the experience of owning a performance/sportscar. I learned that all to well with my 2013 Boss 302 and the transmission and rear end noises it had. Not to mention the gear lock out and clutch stick issues that I had the day I got it... People in WRX's have head gasket issues among others, corvettes have their issues, the Cadillac CTS-V had real end issues, and I could go on for probably ever brand and model if I thought abut it and google searched. Good luck finding a car that doesn't have reported issues...

Don't mean this in a harsh way, but it bugs me when people bash any make or model for a BS reason that every make and model has similar issues.
my89foxbody likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Psshhhh I am sorry, but I take posts like these as nothing more than a funny joke to give me a good laugh... Every brand has issues. Hell I know I will be banned for my next statement, but I just bought a Honda Civic Type R and that is Honda's pride and joy icon car at the moment and it in the start sold for up to or more than 15K over sticker so 50K+ and currently sells still at a lot of places for 5-10K above sticker so 45K+ car. (I was one of the "lucky" people to find and buy at MSRP so a 35K car.) It has issues. 1 of the issues being transmission issues. Grids in 2nd gear was very common early on and hopefully fixed as the complaints have slowed down from owners. It has some noises I noticed form mile 18 when I picked it up and it has same and a coupe other odd noises. It is a sports car not your grandma's Buick it is going to have noises and quirks as it is just part of the experience of owning a performance/sportscar. I learned that all to well with my 2013 Boss 302 and the transmission and rear end noises it had. Not to mention the gear lock out and clutch stick issues that I had the day I got it... People in WRX's have head gasket issues among others, corvettes have their issues, the Cadillac CTS-V had real end issues, and I could go on for probably ever brand and model if I thought abut it and google searched. Good luck finding a car that doesn't have reported issues...

Don't mean this in a harsh way, but it bugs me when people bash any make or model for a BS reason that every make and model has similar issues.

Sorry but I just can't buy that. Not every car/manufacture has problems of this magnitude and other issues on a regular basis. My wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5 has 36,00 miles on it and its as tight and right as the day it was born. It'll probably make it to 100,000 miles with 10 oil changes and nothing more. It's a 30k car/suv. I've owned every thing from Nissan Maxima's to 911GT's and dozens in between,( almost all foreign brands even though I'm from Detroit) and I never had more than an airbag recall or a truck latch replaced. Some of them were high performance sports cars and they were driven as intended for 10's of thousands of miles with no real issues. Ironically the only car(s) that were problematic were the two GMC SUV's I had in the mid 2000's. Good news was they were company cars so I didn't care. Take a look at the consumer reports ratings and you'll find the Ford products down in the mid teens and that's where they stay. My neighbor is a retired big shot from Ford and when I told him what they did with that transmission he just rolled his eyes and said " not again". Not sure what he was referring to.

I also agree that there are going to be far more negative posters on line than positive although I have to say as a potential buyer I have seen a lot of positive reviews for this car so those people do chime in. I find the real world direct consumer reviews to be very helpful. The people who are having these issues aren't making them up. The guy isn't driving a dealer loaner for 2 months because he wants to. They are happening and on a major component like this its an issue for someone like me who really wants to buy the car. I had my checkbook in hand and was ready to go but the brakes have been applied until I find out more. For instance I'd like to know when exactly the Ford dudes huddled up and said " we have to modify/change this part on new production" and when that went into effect. I have to believe they are not shipping 2019 Bullitt's with a known "possibly" faulty gear box and a TSB but I could be wrong. I'm not bashing the car at all. I think it's the best looking and possibly best performing car of it's type right now and if it stays screwed together competes with cars like BMW's M2. But shredding the linkage while shifting into 3rd probably is not going to happen on that car.

Just my .02
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
Apprentice

Of the 27 cars I've owned since I was 16, 15 of them were brand new. Sorry to say that only a few of them came with no immediate issues. From defective trim, to engine noises, they all seem to have a problem, some easily fixed, one spent weeks in the shop. They're assembly-line built, imperfect machines, unfortunately.

Luckily enough, my '17 3.7 Mustang was one of the good ones, although I didn't have it very long, the experience was uneventful. I used this car to talk my sister-in-law into buying a Mustang, although she went with a '17 2.3 in an effort to eek out that all-important 2 mpg on her long commute to work.

The day after she bought it, she got an airbag light, and it was in the shop for a week. She began her ownership experience with discouragement, and I felt kind-of bad, having worked on her for weeks, persuading her to buy it. It's the nature of the beast.

Something irregular happened while your car was being built. Rough pulley, bad belt....who knows. Same goes for my sister-in-law. A hastily-assembled, likely Chinese-built sensor was put in her car and failed after 18 hours of ownership. So we trudge back to the dealership and wait..... Considering how many components go into a modern car, I think we're lucky we don't all spend a lot more time in the waiting room.

Don't let it color your feelings for the car. Believe me, I've been there...many times.
GT Member

Garage
I agree with Mustang Life and others, that say all brands have issues. For example, the Mazda CX5 has had 4 recalls. Mazda also issued a recall covering every 2014-2016 Mazda CX-5 crossover. In the US, this amounts to nearly 265,000 vehicles. They also issued a stop-sale on every unsold CX-5 at the dealership at the time of the recall.

Brand loyalty is one thing, but looking at facts is another. Unless you are a proponent of "alternative facts."

Refer to the NHTSA website for recalls and complaints by brand and model.
MustangLife and SirWatson like this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
I agree with Mustang Life and others, that say all brands have issues. For example, the Mazda CX5 has had 4 recalls. Mazda also issued a recall covering every 2014-2016 Mazda CX-5 crossover. In the US, this amounts to nearly 265,000 vehicles. They also issued a stop-sale on every unsold CX-5 at the dealership at the time of the recall.

Brand loyalty is one thing, but looking at facts is another. Unless you are a proponent of "alternative facts."

Knowing the trie facts is very important, BUT these days it seems like nobody has the time or care to look up facts. Majority of people spew off on the first BS line or article they read and run with it. haha pshh EVERY car brand including the top german brands have there issues. Hell I know someone who bought a $200K+ 911 Turbo S and in the first few months of owning some of the exterior trim starting popping off. That is what dealer warranties are for... Right? We live in a world where quality is becoming impossible to find. Perfection is very rare today...
huberoy123 likes this.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post

I'm not loyal to any brand. I just want to know I'm buying a quality product whether its a washing machine or a sports car. We got a CX-5 because it was the best ( in my opinion ) in that class of car not because it was a Mazda. The 4 recalls were replace lift gate struts, windshield for cars with smart brake,replace fuel filler tube ( that was the stop sell for a minute) and check lower mounting bolts. Minor items. I had 3 of them done at once in an hour. Not 2 months like some of the affected are dealing with. And as hard as it is for me to watch these guys making video's of themselves talking about their miserable experience I'm glad they are sharing it. Too bad they are dealing with it. Not sure how patient I would be in their shoes.

I have 3 choices:

1) Don't get the car. Get something else or save the money.
2) Get the 10 speed automatic and live with the fact that its not perfect.( although technically it is faster!)
3) Get the manual, drive it like I stole it and if it craps out take it in and drop it off. They already have replacement
parts.
PONY Member

Most dealers do not have time machines they can put the car into to see future problems.
Any time you have an overheating problem, crank on the heater on maximum, it's not a fix, but it can get you a couple miles more sometimes. Then pull over and let it cool before going a couple miles more.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Of the 27 cars I've owned since I was 16, 15 of them were brand new. Sorry to say that only a few of them came with no immediate issues. From defective trim, to engine noises, they all seem to have a problem, some easily fixed, one spent weeks in the shop. They're assembly-line built, imperfect machines, unfortunately.

Luckily enough, my '17 3.7 Mustang was one of the good ones, although I didn't have it very long, the experience was uneventful. I used this car to talk my sister-in-law into buying a Mustang, although she went with a '17 2.3 in an effort to eek out that all-important 2 mpg on her long commute to work.

The day after she bought it, she got an airbag light, and it was in the shop for a week. She began her ownership experience with discouragement, and I felt kind-of bad, having worked on her for weeks, persuading her to buy it. It's the nature of the beast.

Something irregular happened while your car was being built. Rough pulley, bad belt....who knows. Same goes for my sister-in-law. A hastily-assembled, likely Chinese-built sensor was put in her car and failed after 18 hours of ownership. So we trudge back to the dealership and wait..... Considering how many components go into a modern car, I think we're lucky we don't all spend a lot more time in the waiting room.

Don't let it color your feelings for the car. Believe me, I've been there...many times.
For the price of that many cars, you should have just bought a Rolls and made the payments for those years.
Apprentice

Hell, I wish I had the money I've spent on taxes and tags.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page