Tail of the Dragon - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber Blue 17

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Tail of the Dragon

For those not familiar with the Tail of the Dragon, its an 11 mile stretch of mountain road on the NC and TN boarder that has 311 turns, with no other connecting roads, intersections, lights, or homes. Very popular destination for auto and motorcycle clubs. Many extreme turns with 15mph speed limits. Went there last weekend for the first time and it was great, they have photographers along the route that take pictures which you can then go online and purchase, attached is one of the shots.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.03.2018 Dragons Tail .jpg
Views:	140
Size:	999.4 KB
ID:	604759  
HuntingKy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018
Rookie

Garage
First time I went there I was going to ride my KLR650 on it. Got to the dragon motel and couldn't find the key to unlock the indestructible cable lock. No one had a hacksaw or anything else to cut it (most likely thought I stole the trailer with the cycle on it). The second time my dad insisted on going along and he ended up puking after a dozen or so corners and 2 stops for false alarms. My 11 year old son was in the back and saw him and puked too. Thank goodness for the little quarter windows on the convertible because I was able to get his head out in time. I think the TOTD has it out for me. Awesome road though. Wish there was one like it in WI.

2009 GT Vista Blue convertible auto
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member

It is a popular spot...sometimes bumper to bumper on weekends and holidays--but hit it when not busy and it is fun. Note, the photographers and video makers are making a buck, but really waiting on the unfortunates riding/driving beyond their abilities---lots of videos of folks dropping over the edge. Enjoy.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

how many speed traps would you expect?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
how many speed traps would you expect?
That's the funny part. I did not see one trap. In fact I only saw on police cruiser the whole day. Its hard to go fast due to the constant turns, maybe I hit 40 a couple of times, most of the time you are probably under 30mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page