Ford Mustang Forum banner

What engine would you choose if you were forced to buy a 2015 Mustang

If You Were Forced To Buy A 2015 Which Engine Would You Get

43K views 177 replies 115 participants last post by  iseeu1001 
#1 ·
Not to steal any thunder from the 3.7 vs EB 2.3 thread that we have here I just wanted to get a poll count for all 3 engines.

The premise of the poll question is this:

If for some reason we all had to turn in our Mustangs and buy 2015's whether we wanted to or not, which engine would you choose, keeping in mind the price differences, trim differences (etc). Remember, you are going to have to buy one so you might as well be happy with whatever engine you purchase, so choose wisely, lol.

This is a for fun thread, not a "I'm not buying one, period!" or "But I want to wait until later to see if they......" thread.

So get your checkbooks out, and tell us what engine you are choosing!

#153 ·
Good thing for the Mustang is the Camaro SS is almost $10k more! And for the performance enthusiast the Challenger RT is fat and under powered.

Honestly for me it came down to which RWD V8 coupe was I going to buy, and the Mustang ended up being the best value out of them all. I couldnt look at new because frankly those prices are not what I'm willing to pay. But hey my 12 is paid for!

#154 ·
Last I checked, the base price on a '16 Mustang GT was around $33K. The base price on a '16 Camaro SS was around $38K. So there's about $5k difference between the two. However, the Challenger Scat Pack has rebates right now that make it's base price only $37K. So price wise it fits comfortably in between the two...but it's got far more usable interior room, a larger trunk, real seating for 5, and 485 horsepower. It'll outrun the Mustang in the quarter mile, and finishes fender to fender with the Camaro SS.

Considering all that, if I was buying another new car today, the Challenger Scat Pack would be in my garage. I had a '14 SXT with the 305 HP V6 and it was a very nice car but the 6 second 0-60 time wasn't enough for me. If I had gotten the Hemi I'd probably still have that car.

#156 ·
Id pick the V6. Only so much power you could get with the 2.3 and it's already boosted and squeezing ponies out of it. I'd rather boost a V6 for the price difference of the ecoboost and I think (In my opinion) would be more reliable to the 500hp mark.

They also don't sell 93 in a lot of places in CA. So it's probably making about the same power or less than the V6 with 91. And the V6 takes 87 to get almost the same power out of it. The EB doesn't make much sense to me. IMO

#160 ·
Thanks! I've been planning on making it to the Nov 5th cruise. Was just going to show up with this car but then decided to post here when I remembered this thread.
The ride / handling on this car is so much better than my modded GT was. Haven't pushed it too much but did go for a ride on some twisty roads Sunday and was quite impressed. Also the 29 mpg for the trip was nice.

#161 ·
Wow! Nice ride Kevin. Can't wait to check it out!!!

#162 ·
Would get the v6 as that is the one i have and I love it. Would not get a 4 cylinder no matter how powerful it is. Dont need a v8 the v6 is just right and the 4 cylinder has to work harder to make power which will more than likely cause problems some of which I have read about already. JMHO

#164 ·
The Mustang isn't and never was a muscle car. The Mustang, Cougar, Barracuda, Challenger, Camaro, Firebird and Javelin we're classified as Pony cars. The S550 has evolved into more of a European GT car where the engine configuration is not really important as long as it is fast and comfortable. Any of the offered engines meet the requirement for fast and comfortable. Also, since the first Mustang in 1964 the 4cyl and 6cyl variants have far outsold the v8 versions.

When I went shopping for a new year round daily driver the requirements were good looking, comfortable, fast and economical. The v6 was not considered because you can't get the amenities that are available on the Ecoboost and GT. The GT was not considered because I didn't need the power (have a v8 Barracuda in the garage for the weekends), the GT doesn't get the mileage the Ecoboost does and it cost about $7k more.

I purchased in Jan 15 an Ecoboost Premium with the performance package and have not regretted it for a second. The car was totaled and I liked it so much I will be taking delivery of a 17 Ecoboost Premium with the Performance Package in Grabber Blue this week.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#165 ·
The Mustang isn't and never was a muscle car. The Mustang, Cougar, Barracuda, Challenger, Camaro, Firebird and Javelin we're classified as Pony cars.

That may be true, but things have changed drastically from that time period. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all that is left when you look for American RWD 2dr coupe with a very high horsepower V8 as optional, along with the option to have bare minimum luxury features and a manual transmission. The Camaro and Challenger can feature much bigger engines, but the Mustang still competes in horsepower from a N/A V8, making them all natural competitors. The traditional muscle car basically died in the mid 70s. This is what we have now.

#166 ·
When I bought my 17' GT 5.0.. fuel economy didn't even cross my mind. Nor should it.
I bought it for the xtream fun factor. Year down the road, supercharging isn't outta the
question.

This is my buddies Camaro, got him twice times lol. Gotta love Coyote power! :)

Attachments

#167 ·
The Ecoboost engine break in period is 10,000 miles for the engine and the turbo! My 2016 dynos at 306rwhp with the cold side of the intercooler disconnected! Connected it dynos at 506rwhp. 20psi of boost is equal too 400rwhp! I'm only claiming 200rwhp of that, for the sake of argument! The real number is 306twhp + 400rwhp ,@ 20psi which is 706rwhp! But I'm going too claim the lesser if the two which is the 506rwhp!

Goto the Introductions Forum to read more!

#168 · (Edited)
I have 6817 miles on my car! At 10,000 miles, the car will dyno close to 400rwhp with the intercooler coldside disconnected!

The turbo will start to whistle once its broke in properly!

Big mistake buying the Coyote or 3.7 over the Ecoboost! The engine and advanced computer system in the Ecoboost is worth $30,000 dollars, like a Nissan GTR, or Porsche! Piston oil squirters? That's Porsche technology! The 2013 GT500 doesn't even have that!

I'm really sad to see people paying $49-54,000 for a Normally aspirated GT Coyote, only putting down 382rwhp! I know motor sounds good, but unless you invest in forced induction, it's really scary to race out there! Get a Vortech V3 Air to Air kit! The Hellion is way too expensive!

#171 ·
To be honest, I was banned for 30 days from a Mustang website called the Mustang Collective, cause I posted a kill of a brand new Dodge SRT Challenger, big block 392 Hemi! Got him from a 30 roll in 3rd gear! Stretched out 6 car lengths! I told the moderators I would never back down from a race, and hurt Ford's reputation! A guy named Rygen that I had a 12+ year relationship ruled against me and banned me for 30 days! I'll never go back! This is my new home!

#175 ·
Haha...this was post five of six in a row for this guy. Now banned. Wonder where he ended up? Maybe a Dodge forum?

I think they forgot to put in the obvious fourth choice in the poll. I think a few
people might have voted for the FRPP/Roush supercharged option for the 5.0
that the dealerships around here make sure they offer new buyers.

I would have voted for that. Who else would have, I wonder?

All the best.

#172 ·
Hey GregS550, nice car! I've never seen a Grabber Blue S550! Good job!

Can you tell me how to post pictures here? Thanks!

Hey Greg, your car is 382rwhp! Be kinda tough to beat a 392 Hemi! Their rated at 485 Flywheel HP. One that is a 6spd is close to 500+ Flywheel HP. So if you see one, don't even entertain the thought! Ignore him! Wait till you get a Vortech V3 Centrifugal supercharger kit, or a Hellion twin turbo kit!

Just friendly advice! The Vortech V3 Air to Air intercooled kit is only ,$5459.95!
At American Muscle! Just Google it!

That's ridiculously cheap! And it will keep up with the Hellion kit. Up to a point! The Hellion kit is good for 1400rwhp, but who needs that? The Vortech is more reasonable for the 1/4 mile and a road course like LAGUNA SECA!

Trust me best fun you will ever have is racing other cars on a road course! That's what the Performance Package is designed for! Strut tower brace, 3.55 gears, and more! Damn Ford is awesome!

#173 ·
I am a happy modified 2015 v6 owner. I basically bought my v6 cause i was to cheap to spend the money on the GT. If I could do it all over again I would at least test drive the GT and knowing me I would of bought the GT. However if there was a twin turbo v6 I would jump on that in a heart beat.

#174 ·
For those who like turbos, that's great. Plenty of power on tap.

But there's something magical about a hot N/A motor, too. Instant throttle response, no lag. And before you hair-dryer fans start howling about how little lag there is, sure, things are better with matched parts, variable inlets, etc. But there's still a delay. When you stomp it in a N/A or positive-displacement supercharger car, you instantly have all the power that your engine can bring to the table. It's not a gentle ramp-up to freight-train power, it's a savage kick in the pants.

Maybe that doesn't matter to everyone! But I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.