2015 Mustang vs. Z28 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
But drag strip performance is way more comparable to having a little fun on the streets then the race track. Stomping on the gas at a stop light and driving to the speed limit is one thing but there is almost nothing you can do on a track that mirrors auto cross.........well EXCEPT driving those switch backs in the NC mountains on the dragons tail but even THAT is still fun in a Shelby.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
What's real awesome is seeing a golf cart stomp the crap out of everything ( including the 5.0) on a drag strip!

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
Yeah a kill in the quarter. But not a road course or auto-x. (That's where the real fun is, btw.) I don't know if you've noticed, but drag strips aren't doing very well these days. Many are struggling to keep the gates open. Road courses on the other hand are doing much better. Struggling a little, yes, but still doing much better than drag strips.
It's no different than saying one guy likes a blonde lady in her 30's with a big bust while another guy likes a 19 year old redhead with a cute rear end.

Different strokes for different folks, but even though the quarter mile is my thing, I don't have any problems with those who's thing is road racing. Live and let live.

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
What's real awesome is seeing a golf cart stomp the crap out of everything ( including the 5.0) on a drag strip!

Ha ha ha.....I needed that. Maybe a smart car or yugo or something. Talk about your sleeper!!

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack

PONY Member

I saw a new Camaro convertible on the road. The body style changes are horrible! They ruined a cool looking car!

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
LercinStang

hey how come the new z-28 is faster than the ss?? i thought before the SS was the better edition??
GT Member

Around where I live nobody road races. If you ask people with Mustangs which they have done. A few will say 1/4 mile and almost none will say road race. Again this is just where I live, where a heavily modified Mustang usually means it has catback and a CAI.

Example of Atlantic City NJ area:
Me: Hey nice Stang. Whats it run in the 1/4?

Stang owner: I never took it, but with my CAI and exhaust it should run 11's...What R you running?

Me: Low 12s so far, hope to do better.Ok have a nice day....

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja6009 View Post
Around where I live nobody road races. If you ask people with Mustangs which they have done. A few will say 1/4 mile and almost none will say road race. Again this is just where I live, where a heavily modified Mustang usually means it has catback and a CAI.

Example of Atlantic City NJ area:
Me: Hey nice Stang. Whats it run in the 1/4?

Stang owner: I never took it, but with my CAI and exhaust it should run 11's...What R you running?

Me: Low 12s so far, hope to do better.Ok have a nice day....

Facepalm

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LercinStang View Post
hey how come the new z-28 is faster than the ss?? i thought before the SS was the better edition??
The Z/28 has around 505 hp vs. the 430 or so hp for the manual SS, plus it should be lighter.
GT Member

Quote:
Facepalm

????? No idea what this means.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja6009 View Post
????? No idea what this means.

Sorry, that was my response to the" with cai and tune it should run in the 11s" couch racing.

GT Member
S197 Member

Getting back to where the thread started ... Chevrolet has announced that the Z/28 will cost $75,000, will be offered in only five colors, and will have just one option which apparently comprises A/C plus a speaker package.

Wow. Seems to me you gotta want that Z/28 badge awfully bad to pay $75K for a Camaro. And that's not a Ford vs Chevy comment ... I'm thinking of all the other cars that kind of money will buy.

The New Camaro Z/28 Pricing - News - Road & Track

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It I were looking that hard for an oem track car there Is no way in hell I would chose a z28 over what ever track version Ford puts out on a 2015 model.

3400lbs, IRS, around 440hp, fords modest upgrade model (brakes and a stiffer suspension/ cooling) Will literally stomp the meanest most stripped down camaro pig Chevy can produce.

Ford has figured out that high 400s in these cars is about all you need and the rest of the performance improvements is going to come from weight reductions and suspension. Yea, a Shelby got round a track faster than a Boss for a few laps. Make that boss another 200lbs lighter and give it irs and see what happens....neither the zl1 nor the z28 will touch it.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
It I were looking that hard for an oem track car there Is no way in hell I would chose a z28 over what ever track version Ford puts out on a 2015 model.

3400lbs, IRS, around 440hp, fords modest upgrade model (brakes and a stiffer suspension/ cooling) Will literally stomp the meanest most stripped down camaro pig Chevy can produce.

Ford has figured out that high 400s in these cars is about all you need and the rest of the performance improvements is going to come from weight reductions and suspension. Yea, a Shelby got round a track faster than a Boss for a few laps. Make that boss another 200lbs lighter and give it irs and see what happens....neither the zl1 nor the z28 will touch it.

The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to pay Shelby prices point for a Track ready Mustang equal to the Z28. I'm only saying this because Ford compromised a lot on the Boss. It was a streetcar that worked pretty good on the track. Same could be said of a Track Pack GT since it's not very far off from a Boss. The Z28 is a track car that can be driven on the street.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I'm probably going to go 2016 if the GT gets the upgrade to 500 HP. I'm saying it right now, that car will be a world beater. Stock.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah a kill in the quarter. But not a road course or auto-x. (That's where the real fun is, btw.) I don't know if you've noticed, but drag strips aren't doing very well these days. Many are struggling to keep the gates open. Road courses on the other hand are doing much better. Struggling a little, yes, but still doing much better than drag strips.

Difference though is there are drag strips everywhere road courses aren't. Lets be truthful street racing either from a dig or roll is most popular and involves a straight lines. Why do you think drag racing at an actual track is down? Straight line performance is way more important to us Americans still. After seeing the price of the z28 and then reading all the camaro guys say its at a good price made me laugh. They were even happy about the thought of paying 75k plus taxes and dealer mark ups for around 100k. Come on now that is a pipe dream if you think the people that will buy that car actually race and drive them. I'd bet 90% will go straight to a garage and sit in a collection. If they are driven at all will be to only car shows or cruises.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page