2015 Mustang vs. Z28 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
2015 Mustang vs. Z28

i hope im in the right spot. according to the GM website they are bringing back the Camaro Z28 with a LS7 (7.0 non aspirated) supposed to have over 600 HP my buddy from work who was always loyal to GM is now rubbing it in my face. whats Ford gonna offer? only thing i can find on Fords website is the Shelby GT 500

1990 Ford Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed AKA Stacy-Dynomax Ultra-flo catback exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

you get the new euro style mustang haha

Base performance package:1/4 window louvers,k&n drop in filter,barton shifter,3:73 ford racing gears and diff cover,royal purple gear oil,spohn del sphere uca and mounting bracket.red & black leather seats.20%tint BBK Shorty Headers. tokico d spec adjustable shocks and struts, boss rear seat delete (red) future mods:driveshaft safety loop,clutch and flywheel
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Rumors flying! The LS7 makes 505...not sure where people are getting these ridiculous numbers.

However- the z28 comes with four way shocks and R-comp tires from the factory, so it will of course be faster on a track than any stock Mustang, if for no other reason than tires alone. It will still weigh 3800 pounds though.

If you want to go faster than a z28, you take a GT and put 10 grand in it in tires, wheels, brakes, coilovers, and boltons, and then you go get your point-by.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You need to "fact check" your friend. The new Z28 will have a 505hp engine similar to the C6 Z06. Also, comparing the Z28 to the Mustang GT is not a comparison. The z28 will probably cost $60K. The Z28 is a track beast, think Boss 302 with 500hp. The next gen mustang won't have a Z28 equivalent for a year or so after it's introduced.

So, your friend is comparing cars that aren't even available to the public, final specs aren't available and the cars aren't even comparable. Your friend needs to be educated, to put it kindly.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013
old_goat

For those who buy the Z/28 with 500-505 hp, air conditioning is an option, radio only has one speaker, no automatic, minimal sound deadening, etc.

For $60,000 I can buy a automatic Mustang GT, put some bolt ons and good tune on it to equal or better the quarter mile speed and still have enough money left over to get a loaded out Mustang.

By the way, if the MSRP is $60,000 the first owners will be paying around $65,000-$75,000. I'll take the Shelby GT500 instead.

Mustang GT vs. this Camaro Z/28 = apples to oranges.
Mustang GT vs. Camaro SS = apples to apples.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
thanks for the info guys i did debate with him the 2 car are not on the same level but he still went on..now i got some arguments to bring to the table i told him i would rather have a Mustang and he started showing me all these car memes about Mustangs are chick muscle cars skep.gif

1990 Ford Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed AKA Stacy-Dynomax Ultra-flo catback exhaust
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangIIfan View Post
thanks for the info guys i did debate with him the 2 car are not on the same level but he still went on..now i got some arguments to bring to the table i told him i would rather have a Mustang and he started showing me all these car memes about Mustangs are chick muscle cars skep.gif
My wife would tend to agree with your friend there

And I am quite sure she would enjoy dusting off a "dudes muscle car" or 2 on her way to getting her nails done, she's got it like that.

Gotta' love this new age we live in...if ya can't beat 'em, post memes!

While I am at it, since we are discussing the future cars, I'm moving this to the S550 section

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

MIIFan, just so you don't get surprised by your friend again, he's not comparing the GT to the Z/28. He's comparing the best factory 2015 Mustang to the best factory 2015 Camaro. I think he's got you beat on that one. For now. Ford will put out sub models that will dust the Z, be sure of that. And as stated above, the Z is a track car that will only sell a very few, just to say they're faster than the Mustang. You won't want to drive it to work every day. What Mustang can you say that about?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013
PONY Member

i think ford will come up with a mustang that will cut the z28 in half!! it just needs a little bit of time. chevy owners can get happy for a short amount of time, but later on, mustang owners will be the ones with the huge smile on theyr faces

Supercharged 2013 mustang 5.0 (race red) BBK LTH, BBK off road X, GT500 axle back, Koni Orange shocks and struts, bmr red panhard bar, steeda lowering springs, custom tune
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The 11-14 GT500s can/Will still be able to take it at the strip and on the streets. Its only superior on the track. For that benefit you are stuck in a car with poor ergonomics/poor visibility, a joke of a trunk and no useful luxuries. The Boss302 killer for sure, but a" no thanks" to everyone else. I'd take a loaded late model shelby with all the creature comforts, and useful features that make it a car I could live with every day instead.

Can you guess what 50% of my reason for passing on a Boss was yet???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
old_goat

Last night I visited camaro5.com and most didn't even want to discuss the Z/28 quarter mile times. They claim it's made for road racing, not quarter mile.

Any quarter mile times yet? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

I call BS. Also, understand I'm not a Camaro or General Motors hater, not at all, but right now I feel the Mustang GT compares better than the Camaro SS and Camaro 1LE, and the Shelby GT500 compares better to the Z/28.

I prefer my cars with automatic, air conditioning and multiple speakers, thank you very much.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
Last night I visited camaro5.com and most didn't even want to discuss the Z/28 quarter mile times. They claim it's made for road racing, not quarter mile.

Any quarter mile times yet? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

I call BS. Also, understand I'm not a Camaro or General Motors hater, not at all, but right now I feel the Mustang GT compares better than the Camaro SS and Camaro 1LE, and the Shelby GT500 compares better to the Z/28.

I prefer my cars with automatic, air conditioning and multiple speakers, thank you very much.
For me, the less creature comforts, the less to go wrong and less weight to lug around, the better.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
For me, the less creature comforts, the less to go wrong and less weight to lug around, the better.

OK, let's look at it like this.

The cost of a none premium auto Mustang GT is around $30,000, and if I spend around $2500 worth of bolt ons and tune, then add around $500 worth of drag radials, I get me a Z/28 kill in the quarter mile.

..........and I still have my air conditioning and a killer radio.

This is also why the quarter mile performance of the supercharged Camaro ZL1 wasn't 'that' impressive. My bolt on Pontiac G8 GXP (ARH headers, high flow cats, CAI, 3200 Yank torque converter, and a killer tune, plus drag radials) was an 11.9 second car in good weather, which was faster the the 12.1 times is advertized.

Again, I'm surely not anti GM or anti Chevy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm all about bang for the buck. Given the prices of the Z/28 and ZL1 Camaros, there is so much more that a person could do to match the performance, yet save $20,000 real dollars.

It's like saying that I would rather have a base Vette, versus the Shelby GT500.

A lot of people are looking for power to weight ratio, but I look for performance to dollar ratio. Also with my wife having diabetic neuropathy, it makes it almost impossible for her to drive a manual, so (like in the case of the Shelby GT and the Camaro Z/28) I have to have an automatic.

Not kissing Ford's a**, but right now, for a performance automatic, there is nothing on the market that can come anywhere near a Mustang GT (for spending $30,000-$35,000), and if I were looking to spend near the $50,000 level, the Vette is the best buy on the market at that level.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
OK, let's look at it like this.

The cost of a none premium auto Mustang GT is around $30,000, and if I spend around $2500 worth of bolt ons and tune, then add around $500 worth of drag radials, I get me a Z/28 kill in the quarter mile.

..........and I still have my air conditioning and a killer radio.

This is also why the quarter mile performance of the supercharged Camaro ZL1 wasn't 'that' impressive. My bolt on Pontiac G8 GXP (ARH headers, high flow cats, CAI, 3200 Yank torque converter, and a killer tune, plus drag radials) was an 11.9 second car in good weather, which was faster the the 12.1 times is advertized.

Again, I'm surely not anti GM or anti Chevy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm all about bang for the buck. Given the prices of the Z/28 and ZL1 Camaros, there is so much more that a person could do to match the performance, yet save $20,000 real dollars.

It's like saying that I would rather have a base Vette, versus the Shelby GT500.

A lot of people are looking for power to weight ratio, but I look for performance to dollar ratio. Also with my wife having diabetic neuropathy, it makes it almost impossible for her to drive a manual, so (like in the case of the Shelby GT and the Camaro Z/28) I have to have an automatic.

Not kissing Ford's a**, but right now, for a performance automatic, there is nothing on the market that can come anywhere near a Mustang GT (for spending $30,000-$35,000), and if I were looking to spend near the $50,000 level, the Vette is the best buy on the market at that level.
Yeah a kill in the quarter. But not a road course or auto-x. (That's where the real fun is, btw.) I don't know if you've noticed, but drag strips aren't doing very well these days. Many are struggling to keep the gates open. Road courses on the other hand are doing much better. Struggling a little, yes, but still doing much better than drag strips.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
Yeah a kill in the quarter. But not a road course or auto-x. (That's where the real fun is, btw.) I don't know if you've noticed, but drag strips aren't doing very well these days. Many are struggling to keep the gates open. Road courses on the other hand are doing much better. Struggling a little, yes, but still doing much better than drag strips.

But drag strip performance is way more comparable to having a little fun on the streets then the race track. Stomping on the gas at a stop light and driving to the speed limit is one thing but there is almost nothing you can do on a track that mirrors auto cross.........well EXCEPT driving those switch backs in the NC mountains on the dragons tail but even THAT is still fun in a Shelby.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page