Simple Poll: 2013/14 GT500 or 2016 GT? - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: 2013/14 GT500 or 2016 GT?
2013/14 GT500 64 67.37%
2016 GT 31 32.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Simple Poll: 2013/14 GT500 or 2016 GT?

As the title states. I'm getting one or the other in 2-3 years. I hate buying used cars but want a GT500. At the same time, the 2015 GT looks amazing. Don't worry about posting why you hate either car. What would you choose?

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013
Rookie

in 2-3 years.?? why ask now the 2017 or 2018 may be better, BUT if I were to buy one myself, would be the 2007 GT500

HOWEVER,.. for investing reasons.. 2013 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 is the last Mustang that Carroll Shelby helped design before his passing

But the 2007 was the returning year of the car.. the 2013 has more power

But tossing in a OEM GT 20whatever against a gt500?? GT500 will win every heart..

Lets not forget however there is a 20something Eco-boost motor rumored in the Shelby

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/artic...red-1441.shtml

07 GT Premium
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The 500. I smile every time I see one. I'd be in heaven if I owned one. I have no emotions when I see newer 5.0s. There's no way I'd go with a 16 over a Shelby.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

I say 2-3 years because that's my budget plan. Have some stuff paid off and a few more merit increases at work. We have this insurance thing in the works so I may be able to get it sooner rather than later too, but no idea how much our settlement is going to be.

I love the GT500, my top choice of course. But I hate used cars. The last 4 cars I've had are used and they all have had issues with them. Minor stuff but they're always there. A new 2016+ would be amazing for the new car feel. I had an 05 GT new off the lot and never had a problem with it.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013
Rookie

Shelby > Gt
For many reasons, such as performance and resale value for one.
Also the fact that as time passes by, the gt will become outdated and it will just be another GT, which will leave you thirsty for more power or a newer model. I think the special feeling will be lost somewhere along the way.
The Shelby on the other hand will always feel special and you will gain much respect for driving one.
But this is just my opinion so just take it for a grain of salt.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznprydeyo View Post
Shelby > Gt
For many reasons, such as performance and resale value for one.
Also the fact that as time passes by, the gt will become outdated and it will just be another GT, which will leave you thirsty for more power or a newer model. I think the special feeling will be lost somewhere along the way.
The Shelby on the other hand will always feel special and you will gain much respect for driving one.
But this is just my opinion so just take it for a grain of salt.
+1. You're saying what I'm thinking.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have to say that if you can get a 2013/2014 GT500, go for it. I went from a 2012 GT to a 2014 GT500. The 2012 was a great car. I could have gone on enjoying it. Fortunately I had the opportunity to order a 2014 GT500 from the dealership that has treated me very well over the years. The dealerships don't get allocation for more than a few per year. I had saved enough money to do the deal, the timing was right and I don't regret it.

The great thing about buying a used GT500 is that most owners (not me!) don't drive them much. They worry too much about putting miles on the car for "investment" purposes whatever that means. You will probably be able to buy a 2013 next year with about 4000 miles on it. I put 5000 miles on mine in four months.

I don't hate the 2015. It is a different car. The beauty of dealing with muscle cars is that there is a difference when they change the setup from the factory with new models whether it be a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, etc. Some aspect of performance is going to improve or be refined. It's all good.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Like I said when the question was posed once before (assuming you can foot the bill either way):

The Shelby. Why? Because its a Shelby. No smiley's or extra punctuation needed.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think I was the one who took a poll on this last month, you can see from my Sig what I did. (Car had 10,000 on it but I found a couple with less than 5,000 and one with less than 1,000 did not buy those over color, options, price or some combo but the point is they are out there)

The 13s and 14s are in a whole other class price wise however presently. Will they drop as much as the 11s and 12s......I kinda doubt it since they are the final years shelby signed off on which will likely make them HIGHLY collectable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

662 HP,thats the one I would take.but the price is out of my range.hopefully in two years from now you should be able to pick one up low miles,less money.
PONY Member

Are you seriously asking this right now?

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
Rookie

2-3 years from now just buy a new GT500 if that's what you really want.
GT Member

The GT500.

I am in a similar place right now. I love the new Mustang GT. But I also love the 13/14 GT500.
If I got a 15 GT I would want to add a blower to it and then there goes my warranty.

If I want to take my blown 05 any further it will need a built motor and supporting mods and with my Saleen blower 600rwhp is about the max its gonna get me.

The GT500 will get me 11 second timeslips bone stock and have a warranty. But they cost so much It would take me a while to save up cash to get the payment to a comfortable level.

For now I will continue to race my 05 GT and save up money for the future when I will decide what route to take. All three options will get me around 550-600rwhp but only one will get me 600rwhp with a full warranty. But I will have to pay out the butt for it.

And the GT500 would possibly be the first Mustang I would not modify. I think its close to perfect from the factory.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I admire the hell out of the 13 and 14s but below is some food for thought for those agonizing over the 13 and 14 who could prob get an 11 or 12 today.

FWIW the rwhp difference between a bolt on 11-12 and a stock 13-14 is about 50hp (540-550rwhp (average on 2011-2012 w bolt ons) vs 580r 590rwhp on stock 2013-2014s). I got these numbers directly from vmp tuning on the GT500 forums and they have dynoed enough to know.

Given that the 11s and 12s go for 20k less than the used 13 and 14s.

I have heard the super tall gearing in the 13 and 14s kinda sucks, can't idle around in a parking lot without constantly slipping the clutch and can't use 6th unless you are goin over 70+. Along with this comes my dislike for need to run without a grill and the addition of even more maintenance parts ( weight adding diff cooler, a tranny cooler, and larger 4 stg intercooler, extra fans etc.) On top of all this motortrend got a better slalom time and a lateral g out of the cheaper 11 and 12s.....I assume due to being lighter and or being a little easier to manage with the shorter gears and lower power (remember the tires and wheel sizes are unchanged)

That fact that Ford used the same aluminum block and thinned out the walls to go from 5.4 to 5.8l and then declared the car" at its max" also gives me pause about its long term potential. ..especially if modded to get more thsn that 590wrhp.

The things I WISH I had was the adjustable epas (available on the 12),the adjustable shock dampeners (to make the ride more livable on the streets!- available on the 13 and 14s) and the launch control (because I'm a poor example of a drag racer-available on the 13 and 14s) and the upgraded 8 piston Brembos with better cooling vents-available on the 13 and 14s, but not needed for a DD)

Given my above concerns and cost, I were a full on performance guy looking for the" ultimate" shelby I would probably CHOOSE a 12 GT500 svt, change the blower to the 2.3 TVS, add a heat exchanger, McLeod xrt clutch, tri'-ax or MGW shifter, one piece carbon fiber drive shaft, upgrade the brakes, wheels and tires, swap out the rear diff for the torsion model and go BACK to the 3.55s, get an exhaust and call it a day.

Way cheaper and faster than a 13 or 14 and you don't have to worry about that block being bored out.

You'll be missing a few bits over the 13/14 such as the diff and tranny coolers, larger intercooler, adjustable shocks and launch control though. Granted....these are no small" bits" but these bits woukd have required another 4 to 5k in costs on the track pack as well.,,

For those looking for a DD that want a full warranty and or a lightly driven collectors car though there is no doubting the 13 and 14s however. I doubt I'd even get the track pack for such a car (unless you are thinking of making it a collector).

Don't flame me.....this is just food for thought

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I admire the hell out of the .... lots of text

I don't know too much about cars and all this junk, but your post makes me want a '12. I still can't afford one now, but in about 2-3 years, it'll be on the top of my list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page