If you are still on the fence on the 2015 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

For a different point of view, try this:

I have not bought a new Mustang since 2002. The 2005s left me cold. They are high, blocky and truck-like, especially when equipped with hood scoops, side scoops, quarter-window scoops, spats, and all the other garbage that too many people slather on.

The S550, despite being roughly the same length and weight, is lower and wider by quite a lot, which changes the proportions substantially. It is far more handsome and not at all truck-like. They even got the hood line down! Sure, it has modern headlights. Nearly all cars do. Welcome to the 21st century; the 60s can keep their round lights. (keep in mind, both Foxes and all years of SN95s had aero lights and that didn't seem to bother anybody then. No one called the 87 Fox a Taurus Coupe, though the family resemblance was just as strong there as any resemblance the S550 has to the Fusion. Try any view but head on and tell me the the S550 looks even slightly like a Fusion. You all are just making that up.)

And then there's the interior. Mustang interiors have never been great. Foxes were crap except for the seats in the earlier ones. SN95s were black plastic boxes inside. So were 05-09s. The 11-14 interior is a little better (OK, quite a bit better) but the 15 is just excellent. A whole different level.

Throw in the extra Coyote power, the revised front suspension and the IRS with the 3 inches of extra track width, and this car can't miss being the best driving Mustang ever. All of you who are clinging to the S197 because you can't stand change are gonna miss out. Big time. Sorry.

As I said, just one opinion. But strongly held.

'15 GT Oxford White, Redline Premier leather, AT, navigation, reverse sensing, 18" Foundry wheels
'94 GT 5 spd, Explorer heads, shorties, Bullit suspension, O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, FR500 wheels, 12 years of effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
Old5Oh:

Man, I'm clinging to 14 GT/CS and no "15" is going to make me trade. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you think the "15" Stang is the best thing this side of some good old Vermont maple syrup, then more power to you. Maybe your purchase will be the one that lifts 15 sales over 100,000 for the year!

My opinion, 2015 styling is freakin ugly....for the most part. I love the roofline and how it blends into the trunk area and the interior looks expertly finished. However, the rear is not really a sight to behold, and the front styling is a Fusion ripoff, and those foglight areas....huge. I truly doubt that Mustang sales will hold 100,000 after the first year, even with European/Asian sales included.

The Fox Mustangs (until 87) had awesome interiors for the day, with padded dash, padded door panels, thick carpet, and fully adjustable seats. The 94-2004 Mustangs also had complete padded dash, door panels, and thick carpet. The Mach sound system speakers had beautiful speaker covers for the door tweaters and rear deck. The 2005-2010 Mustang went with a complete plastic interior and J. Mays spoke concerning that stating that it was Ford's decision because so much money was being allocated to other refinements. In fact, IRS was hacked out because of $100.00 extra cost per car.

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old5Oh View Post

Throw in the extra Coyote power, the revised front suspension and the IRS with the 3 inches of extra track width, and this car can't miss being the best driving Mustang ever. All of you who are clinging to the S197 because you can't stand change are gonna miss out. Big time. Sorry.

Stop making sense, it's all about looks (apparently) how it drives doesn't matter

2011 MUSTANG GT PREMIUM
RACE RED
RAPID SPEC 402A
ELECTRONICS PACKAGE
SECURITY PACKAGE
HID/COMFORT PACKAGE

PONY Member

With all due respect, the people that already own a Mustang are only part of the Ford's target demographics with the car. Since its inception, it's always been a personalizable car, and with that comes the variety of engine sizes and options (color scheme, interior, etc). On top of that, the Mustang has always thrived on a large portion of their buying audience being new (ie: college kids, first time drivers that want something sporty), and the soccer moms and women that really don't give a damn about anything other than the fact that it is a Mustang, it's sporty, has good get up and go, and makes them feel young again.

In other words, Ford is selling them the overall mojo and reputation that comes with a Mustang, and the overall aura and excitement that it gives people is good enough for most buyers. Not everyone is as picky as many of us.

At work last week, there was an old grandma in her late 60's that had pulled up in a red Mustang. I said, "nice Stang!". She said it would be time to be getting a new one soon. The vast majority of Mustang owners just own one because it's a fun car, and in the end, it's pretty hard to argue with that.

1999 35th Anniversary V6 (FRPP 4.10's, Auburn LSD, MAC catback dual exhaust w/h-pipe, P&P'd upper and lower intakes, 70mm Accufab TB with intake port matched/ polished, BBK ceramic shorties, etc)
1991 T-Bird Super Coupe 3.8 Eaton M90 intercooled 12 psi, factory 8.8 lsd (double intercooler, etc)
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The best feature for me is that all the 2015 Mustang will have a forged bottom end. The 2011-14 base 5.0 has very soft rods which sucks if your a big horse power type of person (700rwhp+).

2013 GT, M6 Built and tuned by CMS Murrieta, CA
Rookie

every time i see a new picture it makes me want one all over again...still though you have to see it in person
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old5Oh View Post

Lower and wider is often a "winning" combination bit sadly with the '15 it's just not enough to overcome the drastic changes from what was a far better looking car in the '05-'14 body style.

For me I'll be missing NOTHING. Lowering a '14 is easy and the power levels in the current cars are just fine thank you.

When "shopping" my '14 I came really close to buying the slightly better looking Challenger instead. The '14 Mustang had enough performance and value in pricing to tip my hand in it's direction vs the more expensive, heavier and slower Dodge.

If making the choice a year later between a '15 Mustang GT and a '15 Challenger though........I'd have gone the other way. Looks matter and the '15 just falls FLAT ON IT's Face vs the Challenger's really good looks.

Since the re-introduction of the Challenger and Camaro I'd rank 'em on appearance:

1. Challenger

....close behind.....

2. Mustang

......and a distant turd....... 'er I mean third....

3. Camaro.

But now....for 2015?

1. Challenger

......and a pretty distant 2-3 shoot out between two cars that really miss the mark........

Until I see it in person I won't know for sure if Mustang is still number 2 or if it's fallen behind the Camaro. Either way though neither a '15 Mustang or a '15 Camaro are even close to in the same league on body styling as the Challenger.

Funny thing about this......everyone talks about performance between the various models......but that's the part anyone can change and improve.

It's the appearance that you're STUCK WITH.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosix View Post
every time i see a new picture it makes me want one all over again...still though you have to see it in person
....and every time I see one it makes me think the big winner next year will be Dodge.

Appearance is truly SUJECTIVE.

What you see as DESIRABLE...... I see as a departure from the theme....... a MISTAKE!

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHave14 View Post
What you see as DESIRABLE...... I see as a departure from the theme....... a MISTAKE!
What "theme" might that be? It is closer than any "theme" that was offered from 1974-2004...
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
What "theme" might that be? It is closer than any "theme" that was offered from 1974-2004...
If you want to see a company follow through on an "iconic theme," take a look at the new Challenger. Even though they changed to "HID" headlights, they used "halo" lights across the grille to maintain the "iconic car look." Very smart...doesn't look like a couple of "dull pencils" in the grille. Thats where my money is going in a month or two - as soon as ordering is open. I love my 2013 Mustang GT vert - almost never drive it with the top down without getting comments from ladies or guys! But it is time for a new car, and after driving the road course tracks for a few years, I'm ready to drive the country - looking at some of the top "road trip scenes." I like the idea of a bigger/more comfortable real "GT cruiser" that holds onto the "iconic look!" May go for the 707 HP Helcat, just haven't decided yet

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member

Garage
Radioguy:

Smart move with going with the Challenger. Dodge had the "balls" to stick with the retro theme and they hit a home run.

I love my 14 GT/CS with 3.73's and glass roof, so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.....defiantly not a 2015 or even 2018 Mustang. If and when the time comes to trade, I'm going to go with a 13/14 Shelby GT500. However, the reality is I can't even handle the 420HP in my GT at this point in time. I tried doing a 0-60 run using track apps and almost put here in the ditch going into second gear. Boy, I nailed second gear perfect, too perfect, and she started going sideways.....traction control saved me, and I still pulled a 5.3 sec 0-60; I need some slicks bad!!

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
BOSS Member

Garage
I think the Challenger looks fantastic, there's no question about it. But... It is basically a mid-cycle refresh, just as the Mustangs got in 2010 and 2011. At some point it will get a complete redesign too and it may not look quite so retro any more either.

I just want to know what "theme" a previous poster was referring to that the other Mustangs built from 1974-2004 followed but the 2015 doesn't. Just because the current Mustang has a retro design theme and bears a strong resemblance to the first generation cars doesn't cut it in my book. For 30 years the Mustang never looked anything close to the original or current generations. Yet Ford sold a lot of them. So... What "theme" would that be?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
I think the Challenger looks fantastic, there's no question about it. But... It is basically a mid-cycle refresh, just as the Mustangs got in 2010 and 2011. At some point it will get a complete redesign too and it may not look quite so retro any more either.

I just want to know what "theme" a previous poster was referring to that the other Mustangs built from 1974-2004 followed but the 2015 doesn't. Just because the current Mustang has a retro design theme and bears a strong resemblance to the first generation cars doesn't cut it in my book. For 30 years the Mustang never looked anything close to the original or current generations. Yet Ford sold a lot of them. So... What "theme" would that be?
Well, "mid cycle" is in the eye of the beholder (Dodge labels this as a mid-cycle refresh), but the drive train changes (8 speed fast shifting rev-matching auto) and the interior changes (fantastic) coupled with the front and rear view changes make this a rather new car - similar to Mustang in 2011. The attached "Dodge Product Plan" (presented to shareholders) shows a redesign in 2018 - long time from now. As far as the Mustang designs in the period you mentioned, I think the answer is there really wasn't a "theme(I had a 2000 GT vert)." However in 2005 the designers went back to the "iconic image" that originally made Mustang an incredibly popular car in the 60s and with great drive-train technology (Maybe with the exception of the manual transmission).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPlan.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	378265  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dodge-Brand.pdf (1.95 MB, 64 views)

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Well, "mid cycle" is in the eye of the beholder, but the drive train changes (8 speed fast shifting rev-matching auto) and the interior changes (fantastic) coupled with the front and rear view changes make this a rather new car - similar to Mustang in 2011.
The car was released in 2008 and now is getting a much needed significant update just past half way in the life cycle plan for the car. That's what the Mustang got in 2010 and 2011. The car may look somewhat different on the outside and have better drivetrains and suspension updates but underneath it's still the same car. That's exactly what mid cycle updates do.

2018 isn't really that far away, just three model years.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
If you want to see a company follow through on an "iconic theme," take a look at the new Challenger. Even though they changed to "HID" headlights, they used "halo" lights across the grille to maintain the "iconic car look." Very smart...doesn't look like a couple of "dull pencils" in the grille. Thats where my money is going in a month or two - as soon as ordering is open. I love my 2013 Mustang GT vert - almost never drive it with the top down without getting comments from ladies or guys! But it is time for a new car, and after driving the road course tracks for a few years, I'm ready to drive the country - looking at some of the top "road trip scenes." I like the idea of a bigger/more comfortable real "GT cruiser" that holds onto the "iconic look!" May go for the 707 HP Helcat, just haven't decided yet

I'm a Ford and Mustang guy, but the Challenger is the best looking car on the market, bar none, in my book.

2012 Boss Yellow Blaze, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
2012 MCA PP Sterling/Lava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page