For those who think the new mustang looks like a Fusion, maybe so but... - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Yeah, I'm slowly warming up to the new design, but that front end "fusionstang" styling and no glass roof still makes it a deal buster for me. Hopefully the aftermarket can do something with it; Saleen is currently trying smooth it out with their new renderings.

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

So what is wrong with the looks of the Fusion, my Daughter has one, it is a fine car, but really I see more of the mustang styling in the 2015 than the Fusion.

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
Rookie

I think everyone sees what they want to see -

The test will be the sales numbers (for all models) and the first year of production to see if there are any kinks.

PONY Member

Unhappy

I think that the best thing was the move toward IRS, I will love to see now the performance numbers of the new '15 Mustang VS the Camaro 1LE (but we don't know at this time how the new Camaro performance is going to be).
From the exterior I really like the side view and the top view of the new Mustang. I really miss in this new car, the lack of the front grille fog lights (motor trend's rendering of the GT350 has one, maybe the aftermarket will offer it) & the lack of the rear faux gas cap emblem (yes it looks like the fusion from the front, and the rear GT plain letters look cheap). My old '11 GT steering wheel emblem looks better than the new one.
I see that Roush & Saleen will offer us some nice parts, maybe that way I can have my own Mustang design.
I will wait to see the Mustang in person to have a better opinion, what we see in the web or in Magazines, looks very different than in person. I remember that I trashed the new look of the rear of the new Corvette and of the new Camaro but when I saw them in person they looked OK.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
Apprentice

I gotta be honest - for the life of me I can't figure out where all the Fusion comments are coming from. To me, the grille of the 2015 Mustang doesn't look a whole lot different than the 2013/14 which itself is not a radical departure from the Shelby. The 2015 Mustang has more tapered headlights and I see more similarity in those than the grille or the rest of the front end. I'm also (seemingly) in the minority in that I don't think the Fusion is all that great looking of a car. And I'm saying that as someone who really likes a lot of the product Fprd has put out over the last several years whereas before I wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford.

What I see a lot of is a passionate group of auto enthusiasts who are highly opinionated whenever a change is made to an iconic car such as the Mustang. That's to be expected I suppose. But a lot of the comments tend to revolve around people stating their 05-09, 10-12 or 13-14 has the best styling because that's what they drive and they won't (or can't) buy anything else so the latest model gets bashed. At least until it's time for that person to replace their Mustang. Then the new style becomes great again.

When the Fusion came out people were complaining about it stealing cues from Aston Martin.

And if Ford is adding some familiar styles across their line, how is that different from what BMW, Mercedes, Lincoln, Ferrari, or even Aston Martin do? Line any of those manufacturer cars up and stare at the front end of their sedans and coupes and most of the time the average person will not be able to tell one model from another.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

Garage
If you've got a Ford Fusion coming at you in your rear view mirror, you're going to have to do a double take in order to see if it's a Mustang or a Fusion. The Mustang is now part of Ford corporate styling....too bad. I could purchase a 2015 now if I wanted, but I think I'll pass. If I add another muscle car to my herd, it's going to be a Dodge Challenger. At least Dodge isn't afraid of retro design, and it looks classy!

Jedi D.

Pictures tell the whole story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesHKBUIX13.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	375834   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	241
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	375842  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
If you've got a Ford Fusion coming at you in your rear view mirror, you're going to have to do a double take in order to see if it's a Mustang or a Fusion. The Mustang is now part of Ford corporate styling....too bad. I could purchase a 2015 now if I wanted, but I think I'll pass. If I add another muscle car to my herd, it's going to be a Dodge Challenger. At least Dodge isn't afraid of retro design, and it looks classy!

Jedi D.

Pictures tell the whole story.
I think you need glasses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
I think you need glasses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
lol, I agree.
PONY Member

Garage
I wear glasses, may need a stronger prescription, but they look too closely related for my taste.....hopefully they sell well but I won't get my hopes up.

Jedi D.

GT Member

Quote:
I wear glasses, may need a stronger prescription, but they look too closely related for my taste.....hopefully they sell well but I won't get my hopes up.

Jedi D.
Although I had planned to get a 2015, I'm going to pass on this design. I'm really not a "Mustang lover," as much as I like a retro design car that is performance oriented. I do think the Mustang will sell very well in the next couple of years due to their overseas sales. There is a lot of "pent up demand" in Europe and Asia where people really have not been able to get a Mustang. I am confident those sales will more then offset the loss of sales in the USA from people, like me, that wanted a "Mustang" and not a "corporate FORD."

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
GT Member

In my opinion, the best cars Ford ever built took place in the 2000s. The 2005-2009 GTs, the remake of the Ford GT super car, best diesel trucks on the road, and with the exception of the 2013 GT500's power plant. Ever since, it's been deterioration. The cars look worse (but I like the Taurus for a sedan), many have become ridiculously overpriced (Raptor), and Ford just overall could have done a better job. Why not shoot for something new like a Corvette competitor? A very lightweight, fuel efficient, powerful, aerodynamic two seater in the 40-70k range? I see Corvettes everywhere with no competition Ford could capitalize on since GM is forever stuck in the V8 only and high price mentality with the Vettes. Why not take retro to the old GT500 Eleanor we all loved? Why make Fustang... granted the IRS and ecoboost are desirable, the body styling is NOT. I'll be sticking to my 2007 GT.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Nice 2015 Mustang in my side mirror.....oh, it's a Fusion, my bad!

Well, you ended up being exactly right on this one, I think I am officially the first true victim of making that mistake.

As I was driving into work tonight the Ford dealership is on the left side of the road and I was in the far right hand lane about a full stoplight away when I thought I saw my first 2015 Mustang parked in the "featured spot" on the grass in front of the dealer. I got all excited and made a mental note that I would be by there sometime tomorrow afternoon so I could check it out in person.

As I got closer and passed the pick up in the left lane that was blocking most of my view of the dealership I got a rude awakening as I realized that I was looking right at a Fusion.

That NEVER would have happened with an S197, or an SN95, or a Fox, or a Gen 1 or 2 Mustang. They didn't look like anything else in the dealer line-up at the time. Really the only other Mustang that could had an identity crisis was the Mustang II, which I guess could have been mistaken for a Pinto when viewed from the wrong angle, and that would have been pretty remote.

Still, I can't believe that after looking at all the pictures online that I actually fell for that though, I feel soooooooo stupid right now....

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Well, you ended up being exactly right on this one, I think I am officially the first true victim of making that mistake.

As I got closer and passed the pick up in the left lane that was blocking most of my view of the dealership I got a rude awakening as I realized that I was looking right at a Fusion.

That NEVER would have happened with an S197, or an SN95, or a Fox, or a Gen 1 or 2 Mustang. They didn't look like anything else in the dealer line-up at the time. Really the only other Mustang that could had an identity crisis was the Mustang II, which I guess could have been mistaken for a Pinto when viewed from the wrong angle, and that would have been pretty remote.
It isn't that hard to confuse the two. You can certainly see the "family resemblance"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Family.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	381890  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Rookie

Loss of sales he says.. Wait, so why is Camaro trampling over us again in sales? I don't think Ford will lost much more than it already has in sales.
Apprentice

i think it looks more like a fiesta

--
2012 Pony Black V6 Premium with Comfort/Security Pkg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page