When a Shelby isnt a Shelby: 2016 Shelby GT350 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

When a Shelby isnt a Shelby: 2016 Shelby GT350

I received my April 2014 edition of Car and Driver the other day. This issue has the "25 cars worth waiting for" feature. Number 15 is the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350. C&D says this car is a creation of Ford's SVT group, not Shelby.

The article goes on to ask why Ford isn't going to name it a Cobra or Boss or Mach, C&D's answer- "because Ford can charge more for the Shelby name."

I've seen threads and posts on this site with people flaming others for their "Tribute" cars and others putting Shelby/Roush/Saleen badges on cars not built/massaged by said company. Now we can add Ford Motor Company to the list of poseurs. I really hope this turns out to be incorrect, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford did this so they could charge more money for this model.

2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 6 speed MT, Performance White w/ Stone, GT500 AB's, MGW Shifter

When you want to just know what the pure design looks like ….. you do it in white …. other people do them in fantastic colors, where people go "I love that color" and they overlook the car …. when you do it in white, you get to see the basic shape of the car, the basic design of the car, and thats what I like. - Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Stig View Post
I received my April 2014 edition of Car and Driver the other day. This issue has the "25 cars worth waiting for" feature. Number 15 is the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350. C&D says this car is a creation of Ford's SVT group, not Shelby.

The article goes on to ask why Ford isn't going to name it a Cobra or Boss or Mach, C&D's answer- "because Ford can charge more for the Shelby name."

I've seen threads and posts on this site with people flaming others for their "Tribute" cars and others putting Shelby/Roush/Saleen badges on cars not built/massaged by said company. Now we can add Ford Motor Company to the list of poseurs. I really hope this turns out to be incorrect, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford did this so they could charge more money for this model.
I'm really kinda sad that Shelby America won't be producing them anymore. Glad I got to see a 2012 GT350 in person.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
I'm really kinda sad that Shelby America won't be producing them anymore. Glad I got to see a 2012 GT350 in person.

Well, if the facts be known, In September 1967, 100% of Shelby GT350 production was moved to the A.O. Smith Company of Ionia, Michigan, under Ford control. Shelby American had substantially less involvement after this time….in essence they were paid for the use of their name…no more, no less. The components (recent production) that Shelby-America installed were off the shelf items, the suspension components were all manufactured by Eibach, Corona, California (readily available mail order), brakes were Brembo's, etc., the only thing unique to SA was the upholstery & dash plaque.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I read the article and it did try and steer the audience but keep in mind this Shelby GT350 has likely been on the drawing books for 5+ years thus allowing for Shelby input.

A bit of speculation on C&D but 550 HP for 50k in that new chassis is a pretty damn good deal and should be a C7 killer I would hope. If it comes in with that power and performance it doesn't matter what they call it you will be paying the same price.

This car has a lot of potential and is the first S550 to get excited about IMO

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Well, if the facts be known, In September 1967, 100% of Shelby GT350 production was moved to the A.O. Smith Company of Ionia, Michigan, under Ford control. Shelby American had substantially less involvement after this time….in essence they were paid for the use of their name…no more, no less. The components (recent production) that Shelby-America installed were off the shelf items, the suspension components were all manufactured by Eibach, Corona, California (readily available mail order), brakes were Brembo's, etc., the only thing unique to SA was the upholstery & dash plaque.
I know they didn't actually "produce" them, but instead did more like Rousch, Saleen and RTR. Didn't the newer GT350s have a Shelby VIN though?

I'd still love to have my 3.7 turned into a procharged Shelby GTS.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Exactly, all the "shelby american" parts on those cars were just rebadged parts from other manufacturers. The shelby brakes were baer or brembo, the caster/camber plates were maximum motorsports etc.

I dont really see this as a big deal, who knows if that "sells for more money" quote is true

2012 Kona Blue V6 6M Base | Performance Package | Boss 302 Steering Wheel | MGW Shifter | Morel Components
1985.5 Black SVO | Stinger FMIC | Forced4 CAI | More Boost!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite8511 View Post
Exactly, all the "shelby american" parts on those cars were just rebadged parts from other manufacturers. The shelby brakes were baer or brembo, the caster/camber plates were maximum motorsports etc.

I dont really see this as a big deal, who knows if that "sells for more money" quote is true
I also don't think it is a big deal......FORD renamed the FORD 500 to the Taurus. Maybe they could call the new GT350 "Santa's Sleigh." Good name recognition. Even though Santa has never driven it and it isn't a sleigh, maybe people won't notice it and will pay more for it

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014
Apprentice

I won't get myself bogged down with all the semantics.... more important for me would be if the new GT350 can clearly produce significant high-performance results across all key categories.

'12 Boss 302 - Race Red
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I also don't think it is a big deal......FORD renamed the FORD 500 to the Taurus. Maybe they could call the new GT350 "Santa's Sleigh." Good name recognition. Even though Santa has never driven it and it isn't a sleigh, maybe people won't notice it and will pay more for it
Just like the Shelby Focus...

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar_stang View Post
I won't get myself bogged down with all the semantics.... more important for me would be if the new GT350 can clearly produce significant high-performance results across all key categories.
+1 Don't care whether they call it a Shelby or not, as long as it performs better than the GT.

2011 GT Premium 6M convertible. Sterling Gray w/401A package, charcoal seats w/grabber blue stripe. Security package. Roush front fascia, splitter and rear wing. Black bullit wheels with 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. FRPP suspension. FRPP x-pipe. Roush axle-back exhaust w/square tips. JLT carbon fiber CAI with custom tune. Carbon fiber engine cover & coil pack covers.
PONY Member

Quote:
Good point...that's true. I think by '69 or so, Shelby had basically no involvement, and then in '70, the cars were basically just Ford getting rid of '69's and '69 parts that they already had.

1999 35th Anniversary V6 (FRPP 4.10's, Auburn LSD, MAC catback dual exhaust w/h-pipe, P&P'd upper and lower intakes, 70mm Accufab TB with intake port matched/ polished, BBK ceramic shorties, etc)
1991 T-Bird Super Coupe 3.8 Eaton M90 intercooled 12 psi, factory 8.8 lsd (double intercooler, etc)
Rookie

automatic transmission

Quote:

And it will feature automatic transmission.

2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang to Feature Automatic Transmission - Torque News
Apprentice

Hopefully it's a DSG and not a slushbox.

2011 GT, Kona Blue Brembo 3.73

Mods: Airaid CAI, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks and dampers, BBK Longtubes and X-pipe, Lethal OAPs, GT500 Axle Back, Forgestar F14s 19x9/20x11, Fays2 Watts Link, Barton SS and Bracket
Rookie

Apprentice

Quote:

They were paid for their name. They did not have to sell Ford the name.

My only wish is that they had done a 2014 version of the Mach 1. I would have snatched that baby up in a heartbeat as long as it was more than just some decals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page