Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   Mustang S550 (2015+ Mustangs) (/forums/mustang-s550-2015-mustangs/)
-   -   2015 manual transmission upgrades & driveshaft (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s550-2015-mustangs/657081-2015-manual-transmission-upgrades-driveshaft.html)

dastefster 03-17-2014 04:10 PM

2015 manual transmission upgrades & driveshaft

Hey guys, So has anyone come across any information in videos or blogs about the new upgraded transmissions? I heard in several places that Ford is addressing all the issues people had with the MT82 by upgrading the tranny. All I could find is that it is being produced by Getrag and has "improved shifter linkage." Just curious if anyone else found any more detailed info. Also, has anyone come across any info regarding the driveshaft? Is Ford sticking with that clunky 2-piece or moving to a 1 piece drive shaft?

WTFitsaV6 03-17-2014 04:44 PM

i would also like to know these details, my MT82 has been crap since day one. Also the stock driveshaft vibration on my car was really bad,

Beechkid 03-17-2014 05:21 PM

Well, its the same tranny that has been used in the BMW's for years......................

PStarr 03-17-2014 05:43 PM

I believe they said its the same transmission just upgraded the bushings or something.

dastefster 03-17-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStarr (Post 6033353)
I believe they said its the same transmission just upgraded the bushings or something.

was the previous generation's transmissions made by Getreg?

Beechkid 03-17-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dastefster (Post 6033521)

In the 60's ....there were...
Borg-Warner Transmissions
Warner-designed/Ford Built Transmissions
in the 70's
with the exception of specialty applications, all were Ford built
in the 80's
with the exception of specialty applications, most were Ford built, a few built by Mazda
in the 90's
with the exception of specialty applications, most were Ford built, a few built by Mazda and the transition to Getrag was begun under Jack Nasser. by 2000 (IIRR) everything was outsourced to a variety from getrag, Mazda, etc and Ford laid-off and shut down their transmission mfg.

Rascal 03-20-2014 04:04 PM

Rather that deal with guesses or misinformation. Send a request for actual update on the revised MT82 transmission to DEYSHA via P/M. She will provide you with actual correct information or steer you to the correct answer.

PStarr 03-27-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dastefster (Post 6033521)

Yes that is correct. I believe they simply said they will change out the bushing for the manual and do something else with the auto. It's unfortunate as despite being a pretty good transmission the manual could use some work. If anyone is getting an auto I'd wait a couple years for the rumored 9 or 10 speed.

dastefster 03-27-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStarr (Post 6083361)
Yes that is correct. I believe they simply said they will change out the bushing for the manual and do something else with the auto. It's unfortunate as despite being a pretty good transmission the manual could use some work. If anyone is getting an auto I'd wait a couple years for the rumored 9 or 10 speed.

honestly, the linkage was the worse part about the transmission, and that awful shifter bracket haha. From what I've read the linkage is what they're "improving" who knows how they actually plan on doing so.

pwnall1337 03-27-2014 10:38 PM

What they really need to work on is the synchro in 5th gear and metal working inside the transmission. I owned one 13 GT and two 14 GT's and on the most recent 14, 5th gear took a crap within 3 months, then after ford rebuilt my transmission they didn't replace any seals so I was leaking transmission fluid. I then decided to ditch the mustang and bought a FiST (Cobb tuned) until ford can fix the mustang again. I plan on getting a 2012 shelby for a 700+ hp platform, however if I'm finding good reviews of the 2015 mt82 and minimal failures, I may grab a 15 GT and toss a 2.9L Whipple onto it.

Decisions Decisions....

dastefster 03-28-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwnall1337 (Post 6086825)
What they really need to work on is the synchro in 5th gear and metal working inside the transmission. I owned one 13 GT and two 14 GT's and on the most recent 14, 5th gear took a crap within 3 months, then after ford rebuilt my transmission they didn't replace any seals so I was leaking transmission fluid. I then decided to ditch the mustang and bought a FiST (Cobb tuned) until ford can fix the mustang again. I plan on getting a 2012 shelby for a 700+ hp platform, however if I'm finding good reviews of the 2015 mt82 and minimal failures, I may grab a 15 GT and toss a 2.9L Whipple onto it.

Decisions Decisions....

Same here, My 13' 3rd gear syncro went out about 4 or 4 months after owning. Before I ever took it to the track. And don't even get me started about the stock shifter bracket...It's basically a rubber band lol

BOSS MAN 13 03-30-2014 10:01 AM

Ironically, the 2 best shifting gears in my BOSS are 5th and third.
When I brought my car back out after winter shutdown I added the XL-18 additive which wasn't put in my tranny at the factory. It made the trans shift even smoother than before. My trans is super quiet for a manual as well, no gear noise, no whine.

I did however buy my car, drove it 150 miles home, then order a MGW shifter the next day. I've installed a whiteline urethane trans mount bushing as well. I have no complaints about my trans it will shift at redline with no issue. I will admit I drove the car REAL EASY up to 5K miles to allow it to break in. My feeling was the trans felt real tight from day 1, so a careful, easy, break in would be my best course of action to burnish all the hardened surfaces. So far my course of action seems to be paying off.

pmorritt 04-01-2014 08:42 PM

I really don't get it. The Only minor issue with my MT82 was 1-2 shift under heavy acceleration. Barton shifter and 2 piece bracket cured that. The trans on my 12 GT shift like butta with 12k on the clock. Judging by some of the questions posted in the past, it's operator error and not the trans.

dastefster 04-02-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmorritt (Post 6111881)
I really don't get it. The Only minor issue with my MT82 was 1-2 shift under heavy acceleration. Barton shifter and 2 piece bracket cured that. The trans on my 12 GT shift like butta with 12k on the clock. Judging by some of the questions posted in the past, it's operator error and not the trans.

It really depends. It's hit or miss in my experience. I've owned 3 mustangs, a 10',11', and 13' and the only one with problems was the 13'. So I don't think it's user error because I have shifted the same on all 3 cars and only 1 had trans problems. Ironically, I took both the 10' and 11' to the track multiple times but never my 13' (before the trans broke). Also, it happened when my car only had 7 or 8k miles so it wasn't due to bad maintenance or age.

pmorritt 04-02-2014 10:17 PM

Perhaps. Last mustang was a 2008 Shelby GT500. The trans was the Tremec It didn't like hard shifting in any gear. In comparison the MT82 is perfect 🎲