Question about the performance pack of the new Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question about the performance pack of the new Mustang

If one is all for stiffer and sportier ride, but living in the mountains, where there is driving involved in snow (this will be difficult in summer tires), this thinking about going for 3.73 rear. What benefits would this add over the stock? What would the cons be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

buy a set of used all season take offs for winter bonus = you will have a spare.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014
Rookie

I would think the 3.73 would be a disadvantage in the snow - at least for getting moving from a stop. Unless maybe if it lets you start in 2nd (assuming manual).

With good winter tires and a steady foot, I suspect you'll be fine.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014
PONY Member

I live in TN where it doesn't get quite as cold in the winter as where you are but still below freezing. I had the Track Pack on my 13' stang, which had the 3.73 obviously. I will tell you that in cold weather especially with the summer tires it's like driving on hockey pucks and you have to accelerate real slow or you'll break traction in a heartbeat. What I did (as someone suggested) is I had a different set of tires for the winter which helped a little. So disadvantages would be it's very easy to break the tires loose on a launch even in the summer. If you plan on madding your mustang with a lot of extra hp, it might not be the best option because the more HP you have the easier it will be to loose traction on a launch and your 0-60 will go to crap. Advantage is, if you plan on keeping it basically stock it adds to illusion of a faster launching car, which is nice. But IMO big gear ratio, like 3.73 is just a crutch for not having enough torque.If you have enough torque you don't need big gears to get moving

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014
Rookie

different set of tires is probably the way to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mustang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page