if u order from factory, what does dealer do on car arrival, and what can u stop? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

if u order from factory, what does dealer do on car arrival, and what can u stop?

I've never ordered a car from the factory before, and I'm not sure I will be able to get a S550. If I do, I'm ordering one. I'm curious about the dealer process when the car arrives. I realize they have to remove some stuff upon arrival (I think seats are covered or whatever, and maybe stuff on the outside to protect during transit), but what else? More importantly, what can you stop?

Can you say, "just get it off the truck, get the car "unpacked" and step back? Don't wash or wax it. And for the love of God no pinstripes or any other dealer add-ons or that infernal sticker." Heck, what does a dealer typically do to a car on arrival? Do they even wax it? (I'm guessing no, but I have no clue).

I know the dealer hates customers who get obsessive like this, but I think it'd be pretty cool to be there when it arrives, get some pics, and definitely have a chance to grab it before any accidental scratches or anything happen. (Although, I'm not sure how I could wash, clay, and wax at anywhere but the house, which would mean a drive with unprotected paint, which is probably bad too).

Anyway, I've always been curious about this, and as I debate whether to move forward, I thought I'd try get some info. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014
PONY Member

There isn't much to stop. Every car that arrives at the dealer undergoes what is referred to as a PDI or pre-delivery inspection. PDI differs slightly depending on the car and brand. The idea is to ensure that the car will work as expected. So in some cars, that may include removing spring blocks that raise a car up for transport. Some cars are placed into a certain ecu "mode" that is only for transport. The dealer guys basically get the car prepared for customer use--install any items removed for transport, remove other items for transport, set the ecu to the customer setting, all as appropriate. The dealer will then inspect the rest of the car and take it for a short ride to make sure there's no obvious problems.

It's unlikely that you will be able to stop the PDI, but you absolutely can ask them to not detail your car. I know of some people who asked the dealer not to touch the outside, but it was ok if they detailed the inside. A lot will depend on the flexibility of the dealer you're working with.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks! I would, of course, definitely want them to remove all the stuff done to protect the car during transport and all that. I wasn't sure what was involved.

I guess I'll make sure they know I'm one of "those" customers if I decide to order a vehicle.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014
PONY Member

My dealer removed all the plastic on the interior and exterior, adds their dealer sticker, and gives it a quick wash if it is dirty from travel. When I ordered my 2013 GT I told them they were not to put ANY kind of decal on the car and they had no problem with that.

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014
Apprentice

Bought my '14 off the lot and it had been there for 3-4 months. I'm obsessive about detailing and clay/polish/wax all my new cars. No problems at all with it sitting or them doing their thing to it - and I still don't have a single swirl mark in the paint. Dealers don't obsess over the cars like we do. They want to turn them as quick as possible and move to the next one. Telling them not to touch it will probably be fine. And I certainly wouldn't worry about driving it home before detailing it. Unless you live across the country.

2014 V6 Manual
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014
GT Member

If no PDI is done no warranty that's way it is with Peterbilt trucks. If said truck comes in PDI hasn't been done Warranty will not cover anything in tell it's done. Selling dealer is charged for PDI better be done before 1st yr of ownership.

You can ask them not to detail the vehicle especially like our detail guy does armor all everything calls that detailing. Looks like crap you can see what he misses
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

If you have no front license plate requirement in your state -- and as I recall NC is rear-only -- you need to insist, and by that I mean INSIST, that they do NOT drill the front bumper cover and install the bracket so they stick on an advertising tag.

Don't tell your salesman your wishes and count on them being relayed to the guys who will actually prep the vehicle. You need to talk to whoever is in charge of that process and be a bit of a pest. A firm but polite pest, of course: you want them to work with you, so don't tick them off. But you've got to do whatever it takes to make sure they don't go on autopilot and treat your car like every other that comes off the truck.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

I ordered both the 2012 and 2014.

The only detailed instructions I gave them for both was no sticker, and that I would wash it myself when I got it. Both cars were handled as ordered.

I, too, live in NC, and as for the front plate, it may be a good idea to mention it just to be sure, but I can tell you that I didn't worry about it for either one. Not only did they NOT drill holes for a front bracket, I never even received the brackets for either car! I am not sure if that is an NC car thing or not, that's why I say if you are anal about that kind of thing you may wish to mention it.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I, too, live in NC, and as for the front plate, it may be a good idea to mention it just to be sure, but I can tell you that I didn't worry about it for either one. Not only did they NOT drill holes for a front bracket, I never even received the brackets for either car! I am not sure if that is an NC car thing or not, that's why I say if you are anal about that kind of thing you may wish to mention it.
I think it must depend on the dealer and whether they order them. My state is rear-plate-only, too, and I don't ever recall seeing a new Mustang at my local dealer that had the bracket installed. However, when I was searching online for my car, the downloadable window stickers from a different dealer in a nearby city listed the bracket as a NO CHARGE option on every single car they had in stock or on order.

My suggestion, then, is to be safe rather than sorry ... because once those holes are there, they're there.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
Apprentice

Depends on the dealer. When I bought my 2011 I told the dealer I didn't want their decal on the car at all or to have the front bumper drilled for a tag. These terms were non negotiable. Just tell them what you want and most will comply. If not go somewhere else.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Manual, Black, C&L Racer Intake w/ Bama Perf tune
PONY Member

on my Lightning I knew what day it was being delivered, I was there waiting one the truck, and grabbed the front plate bracket.

I told them not to wash it, no dealer sticker

I will do the same on my 15

My friend and I had to spend 4 hours on his 14 roush because some dip stick at the dealer washed it, and scratched the brand new paint job

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -
PONY Member

Just as long as they don't take off the UAW stickers, because those are an absolute pain in the ass to find replacements for and they're my favorite part of the car.

CURRENT: 2011 V6 Premium Automatic, Kona Blue, Pony Package

ON ORDER: 2015 GT Premium Automatic, Deep Impact Blue, Shaker Audio, 50th Anniversary Appearance Package, Navigation
Apprentice

Garage
I would love to have a new one delivered to my door with all the factory plastic, covers, etc. still on it so its like unwrapping a new toy.

I bet I'm not the only one, either.

#ZombieCobra lives!!!

2000 Mustang GT, all black, was an auto - now has a 2004 GT engine with 5-speed (and maybe a cam?), BBK throttle body, SR CAI, BBK headers, BBK X-pipe, BAMA X4 tuned!

Body to be defined later...
Rookie

I ordered both the 2012 and 2014.
PONY Member

Ordered my '13 from the factory. I did get the front license plate on the front since I live in VA but reminded my salesman repeatedly to not let them put the dealer sticker on the back and they didn't. When I picked it up it was spotless and just as I asked.

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page