New Ford Mustang Will Report Police When You Crash. Wow - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

New Ford Mustang Will Report Police When You Crash. Wow

Do you like the idea of your car telling the police that you were speeding or not wearing your seat belt in the name of safety?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drletter View Post
Do you like the idea of your car telling the police that you were speeding or not wearing your seat belt in the name of safety?
You can turn off e911 if you think it's a problem.

CURRENT: 2011 V6 Premium Automatic, Kona Blue, Pony Package

ON ORDER: 2015 GT Premium Automatic, Deep Impact Blue, Shaker Audio, 50th Anniversary Appearance Package, Navigation
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drletter View Post
Let sstart here...

1. all regional 911 systems are operated by the law enforcement community.....when they receive the call they forward to the local jurisdiction. No different than OnStar

2. Every new gen vehicle (last couple of years) has "black box programming" capabilities...even Toyotas from a decade ago have this capability which is used for crash investigation.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I`m pretty sure my Mustang will dial 911 in a crash. I know my `14 Jeep will. Also I`m pretty sure my `13 GT has the "Black Box" that will tell investigators when & how hard I hit the brakes in an accident, also other things like how fast I was going when said accident occurred, etc. etc.

I knew I`d find it:

Event Data Recording

This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR). The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an airbag deployment or hitting a road obstacle; this data will assist in understanding how a vehicle's systems performed. The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less. The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:
  • How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
  • Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened;
  • How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or the brake pedal; and
  • How fast the vehicle was travelling; and
  • Where the driver was positioning the steering wheel.

This data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur.

Note: EDR data is recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs; no data is recorded by the EDR under normal driving conditions and no personal data or information (e.g., name, gender, age, and crash location) is recorded (see limitations regarding 911 Assist and Traffic, directions and Information privacy below). However, parties, such as law enforcement, could combine the EDR data with the type of personally indentifying data routinely acquired during a crash investigation.

To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or the EDR is needed. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have such special equipment, can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the EDR. Ford Motor Company and Ford of Canada do not access event data recorder information without obtaining consent, unless pursuant to court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities or other third parties acting with lawful authority. Other parties may seek to access the information independently of Ford Motor Company and Ford of Canada.

And here is a better decription of the "Black Box"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Thumbs up

That's actually pretty cool IMHO. I was a cop, retired now, but I'd love to think that if I were in a crash and unconscious, my car would take care of me. Granted, a lot of crashes are driver error, but even if it was due to me seeing how fast my car will go (over the 160MPH gauge btw) it's nice to know that help is on the way, even if it's for something stupid that's your fault, it's nice to know that somebody will be called. I like the feature

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

When my Mustang starts, the display screen says "911 Enabled". It connects via bluetooth to my phone.

Sorry OP, but you're having a panic attack over a feature that's existed for at least 4 years.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014
PONY Member

Yay big brother is in our cars. Does the 2011 have this because i will do everything in my power to disable it. Cops need tl bust all the scumbag drug dealers and real criminals not find another way to ticket me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 5.0 6Spd Roush Stage 3 Supercharged
593WHP/570RWTQ
Eibach Lowering Kit/ BBK LCA and LCA Relocation Bracket/UPR Adjustable Panhard Bar/UPR Adjustable UCA/Barton Shifter Bracket / BBK LT headers & O/R X-pipe/Manley pistons and H beam rods/Driveshop Driveshaft
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014
PONY Member

I think the point is that this technology, like all new technology, will eventually be used for the wrong purposes.

This will someday simply send an alert to the cops, and you will get a ticket in the mail.

If you don't think this will happen, you have your head in the sand.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
I think the point is that this technology, like all new technology, will eventually be used for the wrong purposes.

This will someday simply send an alert to the cops, and you will get a ticket in the mail.

I agree. Free Country?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 5.0 6Spd Roush Stage 3 Supercharged
593WHP/570RWTQ
Eibach Lowering Kit/ BBK LCA and LCA Relocation Bracket/UPR Adjustable Panhard Bar/UPR Adjustable UCA/Barton Shifter Bracket / BBK LT headers & O/R X-pipe/Manley pistons and H beam rods/Driveshop Driveshaft
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post

You obviously prefer the tin-foil hat.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
PONY Member

Why is this such a big issue? The next thing you know we'll be bringing in the Illuminati.......

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
PONY Member

i hate this feature on my 2011 and if the warning message didn't pop EVERY TIME you start the car i would turn off. I got tired of it interrupting my tunes.

Big Brother can kiss my.....
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post

Event Data Recording

The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an airbag deployment or hitting a road obstacle; this data will assist in understanding how a vehicle's systems performed.
Meaning; this data will be used to prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellDoug View Post
You obviously prefer the tin-foil hat.
Right.

And the NSA isn't spying on us, and the IRS doesn't target groups, and our government isn't continuously slowly tightening the noose.

You're a dog who has it's chained shortened by one link at a time. You're not noticing what is happening.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

And just to add fuel to the fire, I was watching a discussion panel on TV. The topic was "Interconnected Cars". Automakers, along with the DOT are developing technology to allow cars to actively exchange data. The goal is accident prevention.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ford

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page