How much down to order a 2015? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

How much down to order a 2015?

I will be trading in my 2013 Focus, which I am upside down on, but I am curious as to how much I need to place an order?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In my area dealers usually require a $500 non refundable deposit. Being upside down should not emter the picture on the trade unless you are thinking of putting the deficit in the new loan, which is never a good idea. The trade in & the sale of the new car should be two seperate transactions. The dealer will be more than happy to shove you further under water if the bank/finance company will allow them. This is just my, based on my history. YMMV, but not by much

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
In my area dealers usually require a $500 non refundable deposit. Being upside down should not emter the picture on the trade unless you are thinking of putting the deficit in the new loan, which is never a good idea. The trade in & the sale of the new car should be two seperate transactions. The dealer will be more than happy to shove you further under water if the bank/finance company will allow them. This is just my, based on my history. YMMV, but not by much
I will be rolling it in at this point I don't care. I can get a 1.99% 84 month Lian from my credit union. I just want the car too damn much

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
I will be rolling it in at this point I don't care. I can get a 1.99% 84 month Lian from my credit union. I just want the car too damn much
On an 84 month loan, you will be upside down for at least 5 years on the Mustang.

As a stockbroker / financial adviser for the past 30 years, my advice to my clients is that if you cannot afford the payment for a car on a 36 month loan, you cannot really afford to buy that car (and should really consider something cheaper).

'15 Mustang
'11 BMW 328i (wife's car)
'02 Corvette Z06
'02 Corvette Convertible
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX View Post
On an 84 month loan, you will be upside down for at least 5 years on the Mustang.

As a stockbroker / financial adviser for the past 30 years, my advice to my clients is that if you cannot afford the payment for a car on a 36 month loan, you cannot really afford to buy that car (and should really consider something cheaper).
Luckily I didn't come here seeking financial planning advice, but thank you anyways
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
Luckily I didn't come here seeking financial planning advice, but thank you anyways
If you're upside down on a Focus, perhaps you should be.

Always best to pay cash for a depreciating asset (like a new car)...if not, be able to pay off said car in 3 to 4 years max. Anything over 3 to 4 years means you will always be upside down (unless a large down payment is made on the front end).

'15 Mustang
'11 BMW 328i (wife's car)
'02 Corvette Z06
'02 Corvette Convertible
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014
Apprentice

Quote:

Mike, you obviously know your stuff. This is good advice. Now personally I didn't follow it, but I absolutely agree in principle. I have a loan on my vehicle, but the car is worth more than I owe because I put a good chunk down. At any point, and for whatever reason (if I see fit), I can trade in my car and be in an equity position. I figured my cash was better spent investing when I can earn more than I am paying in interest. And I am a car guy and had to have it.

And on that note, OP, I have a small suggestion/question. Can you wait a year or two? If you waited for, say, the 2017 Mustang, you won't be upside down on the Focus (I would imagine). Ford will up the horsepower of the car by then (again, I imagine), and you'll have the latest/greatest Mustang with a good three years where it'll be the current generation body style. In addition, it gives Ford time to work out the kinks. Finally, you will get a MUCH better deal as it won't be the hottest new car release.

2014 Pony Package convertible l Deep Impact Blue on Black l auto (current)

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy9946 View Post
Mike, you obviously know your stuff. This is good advice. Now personally I didn't follow it, but I absolutely agree in principle. I have a loan on my vehicle, but the car is worth more than I owe because I put a good chunk down. At any point, and for whatever reason (if I see fit), I can trade in my car and be in an equity position. I figured my cash was better spent investing when I can earn more than I am paying in interest. And I am a car guy and had to have it.

And on that note, OP, I have a small suggestion/question. Can you wait a year or two? If you waited for, say, the 2017 Mustang, you won't be upside down on the Focus (I would imagine). Ford will up the horsepower of the car by then (again, I imagine), and you'll have the latest/greatest Mustang with a good three years where it'll be the current generation body style. In addition, it gives Ford time to work out the kinks. Finally, you will get a MUCH better deal as it won't be the hottest new car release.
I, too, absolutely agree in principle, and if I were only going to be getting 1 car, I would have done just as Mike suggested.

But the plan was to get 2, so I had to weigh not eating versus the fact that we weren't planning to offload either car before they were paid off, and we went ahead and financed them for 6.

What I did do, however, was lay a big down payment on the first one, then waited 2 years so that I could scrape together a decent, though not as good, down payment on the second one.

What does make me scratch my head, though, are the people who have to have a new ride every 2 to 3 years and take out 72 and 84 month notes knowing full well they aren't going to keep the car any more than 30-36 months max. They are always chasing the interest and never build any equity in the car while constantly getting pummeled by the depreciation of each subsequent car.

OP, Tommy's suggestion in the second paragraph of his post is spot on.

Back in 2005 I was in your very position. I had just bought a 2004 F150 Lariat edition the year before and then the all new S197 Mustang snuck up on me. I wanted one in the worst way, especially after my little brother bought a 2006 GT Premium in September of 05. I probably could have pulled it off, but it would have left me horribly upside down. My dad, my brothers, and my wife talked me out of it, and as you can see, it worked out in the end.

If you absolutely have to do it, then go with the largest down payment you can stand-the more you can pay now, the less you have to finance, though the answer to your question is that the dealer will only require a $500 security deposit that Ken mentioned above. Your finance company may require a down payment of some amount, then again, they may not.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014
PONY Member

Quote:

This. Always be in a position to save money.
Work hard now invest in things that will make you money.
Toys come later

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
GLD
Apprentice

Let's give OP benefit of doubt on knowing his own financial situation and doing what's best. For example we don't know the og rate on his current car loan so rolling the remaining portion of that loan into a new loan at 1.99% maybe beneficial, assuming that rate is lower.

That said I agree with a couple things, 1. an 84 month loan is ONLY worth it if you plan to keep the car forever, YOU WILL BE UPSIDE DOWN, and like others said, for a while. 2. Anyone who thinks paying cash for a depreciating asset is a good thing doesn't understand how money works. 3 Ford ALWAYS discounts cars at the end of the MY so their cars do tend to depreciate a lot.

To answer your og question, my dealer here accepts 1000 refundable deposit up to the time the car starts being built, then it becomes nonrefundable. If I were you, I'd wait until the end of the MY when Ford is trying to offload for 2016. Then you may be able to get in on the 0% 60month. That's like free money!!!!

Gary
PONY Member

I have had Mike's advice gnawing at the back of my head. Looks like we will be able to save enough to get the 36-month payment down to a realistic level. I told the CU I wanted a 48-month loan (which I will pay off before 36 months) and they looked at me like I was from Mars. I guess everyone takes 60, 72 or 84 months these days. I just can't bring myself to do that.

But it IS a free country. As long as you don't want me to pay for your stuff, you can do whatever you want! Beauty!

'15 GT Oxford White, Redline Premier leather, AT, navigation, reverse sensing, 18" Foundry wheels
'94 GT 5 spd, Explorer heads, shorties, Bullit suspension, O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, FR500 wheels, 12 years of effort
PONY Member

My dealer did not require any deposit from me for my order

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page