New performance details released today! - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
NoVa5.0:

Our cars are muscle (Pony) cars and not true sports cars. The Corvette, M3, and 911's are true "drivers" sports cars. Mustangs were originally low budget cars stuffed with big engines, and that's how Shelby surprised everyone winning the big races.

I will never confuse my GT/CS with a real road car such as a Corvette or 911. The factory shifter and drivetrain is pretty much "junk" compared to the quality parts that are in the Corvette and 911.

Oh, don't believe me....well, I've included just one small example of many for your consideration. The shifter bracket on the left, yes the one with the zip ties holding it together, is the Ford factory OEM version included in both the GT and Boss 302. The picture on the right is one that many of us upgrade too, the Barton. I myself chose the Steeda version.

NoVa5.0, don't get to arrogant or cocky about your opinions about Mustang being a sports car. Many of us on these forums have been involved with Mustangs since the 1960's. My current 2014 GT/CS is my 15th since high school in 1979....I've owned them all!

Cheers!

Jedi D.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	null_zps06706c8d.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	770.7 KB
ID:	366010  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Good gawd. Well just to stir the pot I'll call the Mustang a sporty car. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my car and thoroughly enjoy it every time I get behind the wheel. But I'm under no illusions about what it is or what is isn't - at any trim level. I think Ford has done a remarkable job with the Mustang platform, but I'll never confuse it with any European sports car. Quoting an article about it being on par with an M3 as far as numbers is only half the story. The Mustang and Camaro directly compete with each other - but there is a HUGE difference in feel between the two cars no matter what the test results say on paper. Same with any higher end car. Even exotic cars feel insanely different from one another at their level even though on paper they look comparable.

Personally I love the feel of a proper European sports car. But there's a price to pay for that level of refinement and performance. It's worth it for some, not for others. That's why options exist.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
NoVa5.0:

Our cars are muscle (Pony) cars and not true sports cars. The Corvette, M3, and 911's are true "drivers" sports cars. Mustangs were originally low budget cars stuffed with big engines, and that's how Shelby surprised everyone winning the big races.

I will never confuse my GT/CS with a real road car such as a Corvette or 911. The factory shifter and drivetrain is pretty much "junk" compared to the quality parts that are in the Corvette and 911.

Oh, don't believe me....well, I've included just one small example of many for your consideration. The shifter bracket on the left, yes the one with the zip ties holding it together, is the Ford factory OEM version included in both the GT and Boss 302. The picture on the right is one that many of us upgrade too, the Barton. I myself chose the Steeda version.

NoVa5.0, don't get to arrogant or cocky about your opinions about Mustang being a sports car. Many of us on these forums have been involved with Mustangs since the 1960's. My current 2014 GT/CS is my 15th since high school in 1979....I've owned them all!

Cheers!

Jedi D.
I'm left wondering what you call the "drive train". Since, certainly, the Coyote motor is considered world-class. And the brakes and suspension are great. Not perfect, but great. Again, Mustang (Brembo PP/Track Pack) lap times are identical to those of the M3. Yes, the shifter mechanism is crap and many replace them, but that's why the car is 1/2 the price of M3s and such.

As far as you not thinking Mustangs are true "drivers cars" like an M3/911....well.....you bought the wrong Mustang. You didn't buy the "driver's car" Mustang. So, your opinion is based on the wrong car.

And no, Mustangs are most definitely NOT muscle cars, not even close. And the term "Pony cars" is a marketing scheme, nothing more. To be precise, Mustangs are Sports Coupes, as are 911s and M3s.

Yes, M3s/M4s and 911s are far more refined and built better, but that's where the price difference comes in.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
And the brakes and suspension are great. Not perfect, but great. Again, Mustang (Brembo PP/Track Pack) lap times are identical to those of the M3.
Brakes on the Brembo cars are pretty darn good, suspension is ok but definitely not great.
What does this argument have to do with the S550 anyway?
PONY Member

wonder if the s550 will race well around an oval track better then the s197? ovals are the real tracks that sells cars

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Brakes on the Brembo cars are pretty darn good, suspension is ok but definitely not great.
What does this argument have to do with the S550 anyway?
Just to prove I'm a hard-headed moron who argues about stupid stuff?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Just to prove I'm a hard-headed moron who argues about stupid stuff?
No argument from me there...
Rookie

Quote:
I'm left wondering what you call the "drive train". Since, certainly, the Coyote motor is considered world-class. And the brakes and suspension are great. Not perfect, but great. Again, Mustang (Brembo PP/Track Pack) lap times are identical to those of the M3. Yes, the shifter mechanism is crap and many replace them, but that's why the car is 1/2 the price of M3s and such.

As far as you not thinking Mustangs are true "drivers cars" like an M3/911....well.....you bought the wrong Mustang. You didn't buy the "driver's car" Mustang. So, your opinion is based on the wrong car.

And no, Mustangs are most definitely NOT muscle cars, not even close. And the term "Pony cars" is a marketing scheme, nothing more. To be precise, Mustangs are Sports Coupes, as are 911s and M3s.

Yes, M3s/M4s and 911s are far more refined and built better, but that's where the price difference comes in.
You are confused what cars are in what class.

Mustang = muscle car, period.
Porsche 911= sport car, period.
M3= luxury sedan/coupe or you could go as far as saying luxury sport.

These 3 cars are in NO WAY related and all 3 of these cars were built with different purposes in mind.

My signature consists of a simple fact. Mustang is a muscle car. Have a nice day.
PONY Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelertown View Post

These 3 cars are in NO WAY related and all 3 of these cars were built with different purposes in mind.
4 tires, 4 rims, motor, tranny. all cars related

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelertown View Post

There is a wiki article on pony cars. Check it out.
GT Member

Mustang is NOT a muscles car not now not ever.

The Mustang started a new classification for American cars sporty GT coupes which were dubbed PONY cars. Muscle cars were big block Chevells, Torinos and Road Runners.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

PONY Member

Garage
908ssp: You along with many others continue to ignore the obvious. Please view some pictures from one of the many "musclecar" books that I have....this one published from the National Street Machine Club.

***I don't expect to change your mind or some other "locked in" dogmatic minds.....just some food for thought that maybe, just maybe, you could be wrong.

Jedi D.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3552.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	366202   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3554.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	366210   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3553.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	501.9 KB
ID:	366218   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3555.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	366226   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3558.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	366234  

Name:	100_3559.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	366242  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
PONY Member

Quote:
NoVa5.0:

Cheers!

Jedi D.
Don't get too excited about the Corvette Dave, I've owned one. In some ways it's more "junk" than the Mustang. Cheap pushrod engine, 3 foot shift linkage, cheap plastic interior, quality problems related to materials, outsourcing. Don't get me wrong, it's a sexy looking car with a sleek body, that handles well, and performs well, but it's in no league of a Porsche. My 2004 Corvette was not a real well made car, but it was a performance bargain, much like the Mustang.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
GT Member

Quote:
908ssp: You along with many others continue to ignore the obvious. Please view some pictures from one of the many "musclecar" books that I have....this one published from the National Street Machine Club.

***I don't expect to change your mind or some other "locked in" dogmatic minds.....just some food for thought that maybe, just maybe, you could be wrong.

Jedi D.
Time often distorts the truth. Led Zeppelin was not and never will be heavy metal they are a hard rock blues band, Black Sabbath is heavy metal... and the Mustang is not a muscle car no matter what those books say.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

MACH I Member

Quote:

Jedi D.
Says right there in the second picture, pony car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page