Eco Boost 2015s - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Some thoughts here:
I've bought new Fords 1971. Stuck with simple, unsophisticated versions and never had issues. Always reliable and economical vehicles (mostly F100/F150, six with stick). People who bought the high-dollar, optioned-out versions of what I drove, often had serious recurrent problems. Conclusion: Ford does simple well. Ecoboost is not simple.

A small engine like the 2.3 will be into the boost quite a bit to achieve anything approaching normal road performance in a Mustang. This is obvious, no one would buy a normally aspirated 2.3 Mustang; the car is too heavy, it would be gutless. So, being into boost a lot, economy will suffer.

The 3.5 Ecoboost they put in the trucks would be a better choice. The 3.5 is enough to push the car around in a respectable manner without getting into boost, yet the power would be there when called upon. The 3.5 Ecoboost seems like a great match for the Mustang and I can't understand why it isn't offered...other than Ford enjoys raking in the big bucks on the 5.0s.

At high elevations, boost comes into its own. NA engines lose power with altitude, boosted engines don't. If I lived around Denver or some other high altitude location, I'd be sure to go Ecoboost as that would be the only way to get an engine that could deliver its rated power. Though, I'd probably go for a tricked-out 2WD, short-cab, short-bed Ecoboost F150 before I would a 2.3 EB Mustang.

Overall, I think the 2.3 Ecoboost will be gone from the Mustang line in a few years. Too little return in either performance or economy for the extra complexity of the EB engine. It will be replaced by a 3.5 or similar V6 EB that can deliver the kind of performance Mustangs are noted for without working hard.

'13 V6 Premium Coupe, Deep Impact Blue w/pony pkg & MT82 - bone stock

I drive it like I own it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Young View Post
Some thoughts here:
I've bought new Fords 1971. Stuck with simple, unsophisticated versions and never had issues. Always reliable and economical vehicles (mostly F100/F150, six with stick). People who bought the high-dollar, optioned-out versions of what I drove, often had serious recurrent problems. Conclusion: Ford does simple well. Ecoboost is not simple.

A small engine like the 2.3 will be into the boost quite a bit to achieve anything approaching normal road performance in a Mustang. This is obvious, no one would buy a normally aspirated 2.3 Mustang; the car is too heavy, it would be gutless. So, being into boost a lot, economy will suffer.

The 3.5 Ecoboost they put in the trucks would be a better choice. The 3.5 is enough to push the car around in a respectable manner without getting into boost, yet the power would be there when called upon. The 3.5 Ecoboost seems like a great match for the Mustang and I can't understand why it isn't offered...other than Ford enjoys raking in the big bucks on the 5.0s.

At high elevations, boost comes into its own. NA engines lose power with altitude, boosted engines don't. If I lived around Denver or some other high altitude location, I'd be sure to go Ecoboost as that would be the only way to get an engine that could deliver its rated power. Though, I'd probably go for a tricked-out 2WD, short-cab, short-bed Ecoboost F150 before I would a 2.3 EB Mustang.

Overall, I think the 2.3 Ecoboost will be gone from the Mustang line in a few years. Too little return in either performance or economy for the extra complexity of the EB engine. It will be replaced by a 3.5 or similar V6 EB that can deliver the kind of performance Mustangs are noted for without working hard.

First off, you could argue that it's easier for any car company to make a simpler car. But the problem is that there is no simple car anymore, and some of the added complexity is not by choice either. Increasing safety standards, consumer connectivity needs, and fuel economy standards are all demanding newer and more sophisticated technologies. Even subcompacts and econoboxes are now loaded with features.

Thinking that you will have to wring out the new Ecoboost motor to achieve good performance is a conclusion that doesn't really align with the facts we know so far. Car and Driver's primer on the three engines says that the Ecoboost will deliver 320 lb/ft of torque at 3000 RPM and will still be making 296 lb/ft at the peak 5500 RPM. By contrast the old 4.6 Modular makes 320 lb/ft at 4500 RPM.

So, we have a flat torque curve +

-More balanced chassis
-Much better weight distribution (52/48)
-Reduced drag

It will not be hard to make this car go fast.

Turbos have come a long way. Serious lag isn't an issue anymore, and tuning and design can produce great turbo power at high RPMs AND flat torque curves for usable low end power.

It won't be replaced any time soon. This is the future of performance cars with the new CAFE standards. Lots of forced induction 4s and some V6s. If anything, the V8 will be the motor to go in a few years, replaced by a high output V6. The CAFE requirements are going to increase year after year. No getting around it.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver
PONY Member

I have a 2011 GT, while it is now supercharged, even in stock trim was a blast to drive.

I also have a 2014 Focus ST with a Eco Boost engine. It has upgraded intercooler, intake, cat back, and a tune. While it's a fun car, and the eco boost is a good engine, don't think I would ever order a eco boost in a mustang. If you really get on it, it's a lot of fun, but on the highway, or when in higher gears, no where near the torque if the 5.0

so if I had a choice 5.0 all the way

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Some thoughts here:

Ecoboost has been around for several years now, so they should have it worked out. And we're not talking 1980s/1990s turbo tech, it is very different now. Turbo engines are now making better low/mid-range power than smaller displacement V8s like Coyotes, which make their power higher up in the rev band.

I would actually expect the 2.3l turbo to actually become the enthusiast's Mustang, above the 5.0. Turbos are (usually) easier to get more power out, and their lighter weight will make for better performance, especially handling and braking. And since it will be (hopefully) rather cheap and easy to bump the 2.3s up to the 400HP area, it will probably be faster in a straight-line too.

Back in the day, SVO 2.3L turbo Mustangs were better than the "5.0" (4.9 actually) GT cars. I see a great possibility that this will happen again. And keep in mind, the 2.3l is the mid-range model, and the V6 is the bottom of the rung.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Overall, I think the 2.3 Ecoboost will be gone from the Mustang line in a few years.
It's not the Turbo 4 that will be gone in a few years, but the V6. I do agree though that the 3.5L EB V6, or even the new 2.7L EB V6, would be a cool option in the Mustang.

The EcoBoost in the Mustang is a ploy to boost Ford's CAFE. The fuel used during Idle and low-speed Traffic is greatly lower from a 2.3L Turbo than the 3.7L V6 and 5.0L V8.

Ford knows that a 4cyl Mustang won't sell, not enough torque from small displacement, therefore it makes perfect sense to offer the Turbo 4 with as much power as the V6. Performance is the same or better than the V6, and even better than the V8 at low rpm's, while achieving better fuel economy than the V6.

The V6 is likely only still being offered while buyers and reviewers figure out that they aren't losing anything when choosing the Turbo 4, and to encourage buyers to choose the Turbo 4, they removed almost all the packages/options from the V6 model.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
If the 2.3L motors can be bumped in power to 375 or so easily and cheaply, they might be better performing cars than the 5.0s

And it will still sound like a weed eater on steroids.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member

That v6 really got the shaft, can't even get a premium v6 anymore!
I have a really bad feeling the 5.0 will get replaced by a turbo 6 in the coming years!
Goodbye good sounding engines!

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
Apprentice

Turbo's are a lot of fun. My 2013 stock SHO Taurus with just a tune ran 12.9 with 1.83 60 foot. Stock tune they are mid to high 13's. That $399 (tune and tuner) made a huge difference. The biggest help will be in catless downpipes and tunes. Probably get mid to high 300 range at the wheels very easy.

I had a 08 SRT4 Caliber making 360/370 with stock turbo, intercooler, and 02 housing off the turbo. LOL

2014 GT Cobra Jet California Special
Auto, Oxford White, comfort pkg.
PONY Member

I love turbo cars and Ive had several turbo Volvos, my current Volvo is a V60 with a 2.0 4cyl turbo with 240 hp (it has the Ford ecoboost engine)... but for me a Mustang has to have a V8. My Volvo is quite a fast car but the 5.0 makes it feel like a snail. Nothing substitutes the V8 rumble as part of the Mustang owning experience.

And being totally honest.. the "Eco-boost" engine has nothing "eco" about it. My guess is that in real world driving conditions the eco-boost Mustang is going to have worse mpgs than the 3.7 V6.

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
PONY Member

I'm just so annoyed of the pricing.
V6 pretty much got the shaft and a GT premium is going to cost 40k.
Jeez

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Ford knows that a 4cyl Mustang won't sell, not enough torque from small displacement,
Completely incorrect. The EB engines produce prodigious torque, at very low RPMs. The 2.3l EB motor in the s550 makes more torque, at a lower RPM, than the 4.6l V8s, as well as more HP. And with lighter weight, you don't need as much.

This is not to mention, that for performance driving torque is not always a "more is better" issue. The real issue is traction, getting power to the road. More torque (power) down low just means more wheel-spin off the line.

Serious super cars like 458s have very little torque (in comparison to their HP numbers), at high RPMs, and yet still manage 0-60 in 3 seconds.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8LMustangV6 View Post
That v6 really got the shaft, can't even get a premium v6 anymore!
I have a really bad feeling the 5.0 will get replaced by a turbo 6 in the coming years!
Goodbye good sounding engines!
Seems like everyone is heading in that direction.

I can see a turbo 6 being the future GT and the SVT models will get the last of the v8's.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
Rookie

the words eco boost and muscle don't belong in the same sentence hehehe
Apprentice

Eco Boost 2015s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Stang View Post
I have a 2011 GT, while it is now supercharged, even in stock trim was a blast to drive.

I also have a 2014 Focus ST with a Eco Boost engine. It has upgraded intercooler, intake, cat back, and a tune. While it's a fun car, and the eco boost is a good engine, don't think I would ever order a eco boost in a mustang. If you really get on it, it's a lot of fun, but on the highway, or when in higher gears, no where near the torque if the 5.0

so if I had a choice 5.0 all the way

^ This. Depends on whether you want 'peppy,' or powerful.

Personally, I'd be very worried about mods and warranty on any turbo engine. I can't imagine Ford looking the other way if you've altered boost PSI, or swapped out the turbo for an after market version. Additionally, I'd budget for the extended warranty on an EB car of any kind. Not necessarily for catastrophic failures, but even for the multitude of sensors and electronics involved. And, this EB is new for Ford.

Marrying this particular engine with a heavier convertible model means it will be a little slower than the coupe. Ford has also geared the convertibles on the weak side in the past, too.

I know you want that appearance package, but I'd be darn sure I got to drive THE model I was ordering before I ordered. Only thing worse than paying more than you feel you can afford, is not being happy with a 35k major purchase, then taking the depreciation hit to get something better.

I'm very interest in the EB myself. But, if I get one, I won't be modding the engine until I decide warranty no longer matters.

Perhaps you should focus your mods on remaking the Anniversary appearance, and getting the body and engine you want from the factory...

2012 Boss Yellow Blaze, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
2012 MCA PP Sterling/Lava
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Completely incorrect. The EB engines produce prodigious torque, at very low RPMs. The 2.3l EB motor in the s550 makes more torque, at a lower RPM, than the 4.6l V8s, as well as more HP. And with lighter weight, you don't need as much.

This is not to mention, that for performance driving torque is not always a "more is better" issue. The real issue is traction, getting power to the road. More torque (power) down low just means more wheel-spin off the line.

Serious super cars like 458s have very little torque (in comparison to their HP numbers), at high RPMs, and yet still manage 0-60 in 3 seconds.

AND, since you can't buy a 5 year old 4.6 in the 2015 Mustang, you'll want to compare the driving experience on the two engines on your list.

2012 Boss Yellow Blaze, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
2012 MCA PP Sterling/Lava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page