Eco Boost 2015s - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Eco Boost 2015s

Here's the thing about turbo motors; the after-market gets big power increases out of them, for not too much money.

I was just on Ford's 2015 configurator, and first spec'd out a 5.0 GT Premium/ Performance package car, with no additional options. It was just a hair under $40K. Then I spec'd out a 2.3L Premium with Eco Boost Performance package, and it's a hair under $32k.

I hope that those two cars get comparo'd soon. I'm thinking that the 2.3l Eco Boost might be the better performing car, with a few mods. Depends highly on the tires. I figure the 2.3Ls must be at least 200Lbs lighter than the 5.0s, with less weight over the front wheels, and closer to 50/50 weight distribution.

If the 2.3L motors can be bumped in power to 375 or so easily and cheaply, they might be better performing cars than the 5.0s

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
PONY Member

They will defiantly be some fun, even my balless gen one 2.3 turbo is fun, but you sacrafice torque with losing all those cubes. Nothing twin 118mms can't solve

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

Im excited to see what the eco boost can do from the factory. Even more so to see what the aftermarket can do. I really think the future is in smaller motors with boost. I will miss that V8 sound though.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Livernois was getting 10-20 hp gains and 50-60 lb ft torque gains on the 2.0 eco fusion with just a tune.

They've also done some nice work with the Fiesta ST's 1.6 turbo as well.

More radical gains will depend on the size of the factory turbo unit. If people want extreme power they may have to do a swap.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Here's the thing about turbo motors; the after-market gets big power increases out of them, for not too much money.

I was just on Ford's 2015 configurator, and first spec'd out a 5.0 GT Premium/ Performance package car, with no additional options. It was just a hair under $40K. Then I spec'd out a 2.3L Premium with Eco Boost Performance package, and it's a hair under $32k.

I hope that those two cars get comparo'd soon. I'm thinking that the 2.3l Eco Boost might be the better performing car, with a few mods. Depends highly on the tires. I figure the 2.3Ls must be at least 200Lbs lighter than the 5.0s, with less weight over the front wheels, and closer to 50/50 weight distribution.

If the 2.3L motors can be bumped in power to 375 or so easily and cheaply, they might be better performing cars than the 5.0s
I really think these will be fun cars. They have great power potential and as you pointed out, can be had at a considerable lower cost than the GT. I ultimately went with the 5.0, but I think that anyone who gets the Eco won't be disappointed.

Current - 2012 GT Premium, Black, Brembo Brake Package
On order - 2015 GT Premium, Magnetic, 400A, Ceramic, Performance Package
Ordered - 10/18
Built - 11/18
In Transit - 11/19

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crak88lx View Post
They will defiantly be some fun, even my balless gen one 2.3 turbo is fun, but you sacrafice torque with losing all those cubes.
Based on the numbers that have come out over the last few days it really isn't sacrificing much. 310 hp and 320 lb-ft is pretty much what the 05-10 4.6s were rated at.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Based on the numbers that have come out over the last few days it really isn't sacrificing much. 310 hp and 320 lb-ft is pretty much what the 05-10 4.6s were rated at.
I was just comparing to the coyote 5.0.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crak88lx View Post
They will defiantly be some fun, even my balless gen one 2.3 turbo is fun, but you sacrafice torque with losing all those cubes. Nothing twin 118mms can't solve

Turbo motors have come a long, looooooong way since your car. Turbo motors now have epic ****-tons of torque, at very low RPMs.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
PONY Member

Well I can't wait to see it , I'm excited for all the 2015 engines

Apprentice

I REALLY wanna order a 2015...but can't decide between EcoBoost and GT without driving one. If I go with an EcoBoost would be a vert, GT would be a coupe. They are pretty close in price. Dealer says he STILL can't quote or order a vert. I'm worried if I wait till the spring, that the 50th anniv. appearance package will be phased out and really want a 2015 to have that.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
PONY Member

Everyone i know with a turbo had issues at some point.

Have they come along way over the last couple of years? I've never owned one myself just seen the $$$ in repairs dished out and steered clear of them.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueby View Post
Dealer says he STILL can't quote or order a vert.
There's already a thread where a member has ordered a 2015 convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discohouse View Post
Everyone i know with a turbo had issues at some point.

Have they come along way over the last couple of years?
Yes, they have. Big technology and reliability enhancements, as well as much more power. Turbo cars now have more torque and a better power curve than NA cars.

Remember when turbo cars had boost lag and only made power high in the rev range? Ain't like that anymore.

Apprentice

Quote:
Yes..I've replied to that thread and showed it to the dealer. They showed me their order screens that won't allow them to place any orders for convertibles. The other member hasn't said if they actually have a DORA for that order. Maybe a case of the dealer "took" the order from him..but it's not officially placed in the system?
Either that or my dealer is doing something wrong. I'm still on the fence for EB vert or GT coupe. Don't think I could afford a GT vert, even with XPlan.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
PONY Member

Quote:

Yes, they have. Big technology and reliability enhancements, as well as much more power. Turbo cars now have more torque and a better power curve than NA cars.

Remember when turbo cars had boost lag and only made power high in the rev range? Ain't like that anymore.
I drove the Ford Edge Ecoboost for a 10 day rental now that I think about it. No lag, but man was it weak. Probably too heavy of a vehicle for noticeable power.
GT Member

Quote:

I had a VW Jetta Wolfsberg Edition turbo.. That thing would eat my 2007 GT's lunch above 80mph. It pulled harder at 130 than it did at 70. It was crazy. Turbos have come a long way, and they've gotten reliable, powerful, and efficient. It mostly lies in the tuning and precision, which for those of you who remember, Chevrolet's Cross-Fire injection wasn't but a few years away from the Fox's turbos... both "cutting edge" of their time and known to be horrid now.

And as sad as it may sound, I almost went with a turbo diesel Jetta instead of another S197 to save money.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page