2015 Mustang GT vs. 2015 Challenger Hellcat - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

The Hellcat is a fantastic car and I'm glad that Chrysler went through with offering their muscle/pony car with more hp than the viper. I have to say that I like the look of the hellcat much more than the '15 mustang. However, the Challenger is a very old platform by now and if it wasn't for the awesome looks and 700+hp motor, it wouldn't be worth talking about.

Even if the '15 mustang isn't as nice looking or available with a ~700hp variant, I think the mustang will also be a much nicer car to drive. And since I'm not a frag racing guy, I think the chassis on the mustang will be more fun to throw around some turns. I look forward to hopefully getting some seat time in a '15+ GT at some point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
The Hellcat is a fantastic car and I'm glad that Chrysler went through with offering their muscle/pony car with more hp than the viper. I have to say that I like the look of the hellcat much more than the '15 mustang. However, the Challenger is a very old platform by now and if it wasn't for the awesome looks and 700+hp motor, it wouldn't be worth talking about.
I completely agree. The Challenger was voted the most liked "mid-size sporty car" in a recent JD Powers survey
Midsize sporty car - Dodge Challenger - Best-loved cars in America - CNNMoney

However, that doesn't seem to have translated to sales in the past. With the 2015 Mustang looking like 10 other cars, the Challenger may do better in future real sales.

Actually you don't need the "Helcat" to be competitive with the new Mustang. The 485 HP
HEMI will probably run away from the Mustang with the new 8 speed Torque-flight transmission.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelertown View Post
Hellcat and GT will not be competing with each other. The question to ask is will the Shelby beat the Hellcat. And If I had to guess I would say it will out handle the Hellcat at least, might not quite beat it in a straight line. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Shelby in response for sure though.
Recent 1/4 mile testing....
"The Hellcat just completed its first quarter mile, and the results are in: 10.8 seconds on drag radials, and 11.2 seconds with the factory tires. These times are NHRA-approved. Dodge now officially sells the fastest muscle car ever created, since the closest competition from Ford, the Shelby GT500, runs the quarter mile in 11.6 seconds, and the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has to make-do with 12.1 seconds.
Dodge Challenger Hellcat: Quickest Muscle Car in the Quarter Mile - News - 2015 Dodge Challenger - The Car Guide

Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18

Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
... Actually you don't need the "Helcat" (*corr: "Hellcat") to be competitive with the new Mustang. The 485 HP HEMI will probably run away from the Mustang with the new 8 speed Torque-flight transmission.
The standard 33k base price 2015 Mustang GT is not made to compete against the 47k base price 2015 SRT 392, that will be the job of the GT350/GT500 variant ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Recent 1/4 mile testing....
"The Hellcat just completed its first quarter mile, and the results are in: 10.8 seconds on drag radials, and 11.2 seconds with the factory tires. These times are NHRA-approved. Dodge now officially sells the fastest muscle car ever created, since the closest competition from Ford, the Shelby GT500, runs the quarter mile in 11.6 seconds, and the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has to make-do with 12.1 seconds.
Dodge Challenger Hellcat: Quickest Muscle Car in the Quarter Mile - News - 2015 Dodge Challenger - The Car Guide
Most recent real world 1/4 mile testing ...
"Hellcat to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds—0.1 behind the GT500—and through the quarter-mile in 11.7 at 126 mph—0.1-second ahead and 1-mph faster than the GT500. Dodge quotes an 11.2-second quarter-mile on the tacky surface of an NHRA-certified drag strip, but the Pirellis feel so overstressed that hitting that low ET would also require dropping tire pressures to about 10 psi. (We always conduct our acceleration tests at the manufacturer’s recommended tire pressures.)"
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Test – Review – Car and Driver
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 R/Red 5.0 View Post
The standard 33k base price 2015 Mustang GT is not made to compete against the 47k base price 2015 SRT 392, that will be the job of the GT350/GT500 variant ...

"Hellcat to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds—0.1 behind the GT500—and through the quarter-mile in 11.7 at 126 mph—0.1-second ahead and 1-mph faster than the GT500. Dodge quotes an 11.2-second quarter-mile on the tacky surface of an NHRA-certified drag strip, but the Pirellis feel so overstressed that hitting that low ET would also require dropping tire pressures to about 10 psi. (We always conduct our acceleration tests at the manufacturer’s recommended tire pressures.)"
we will be seeing at the tracks soon enough.

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
PONY Member

Quote:
Don;t forget that the '15 R/T Scat pack has the same 392 as the SRT and will be priced around $38k IIRC.

And yes, the SRT version of the challenger has always competed with the mustang GT. Even with all the extra power, it's always run similar times as the less powerful but lighter mustang. A '15 GT with track pack will have no problem keeping up with any 392-powered Challenger, IMO and I also suspect that on a road course, the mustang will be quite a bit faster. I look forward to the inevitable comparison tests within the next 6-8 months or so.
GT Member

Quote:
You don't have to spend 47K to get the 392 Hemi with 485 HP. The R/T Scat Pack has it for $38,495

"New Challenger R/T Scat Pack features a 6.4-liter HEMI with best-in-class 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque, delivering 0-60 mph in the low 4-second range with up to 25 mpg highway with a starting U.S. MSRP of $38,495"

Not sure why NHRA would not be considered "real world?" And, the drag tires they used were street legal and turned the Quarter in 10.8 seconds. That 8 speed transmission is "crazy fast!" Manual shifting isn't likely to keep up with it

PONY Member

I really don't care about Dodges, it will be interesting to see if the hellcat can put all that HP to the floor. Mustangs are more balanced vehicles than Dodges. Dodge Challenger, Charger, etc, are only good for straight driving, I will worry more for the new Camaro to come.
The only balanced performer car from Dodge is the Viper.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
I really don't care about Dodges, it will be interesting to see if the hellcat can put all that HP to the floor. Mustangs are more balanced vehicles than Dodges. Dodge Challenger, Charger, etc, are only good for straight driving, I will worry more for the new Camaro to come.
Actually, the great balance the new Dodge Helcat - or the SRT 392 - has is the three way electronic suspension settings it has. Great facility to allow the car to "cruise in comfort," hold on the back roads, and stick on the road courses. Even the "stock GT" isn't really very comfortable as a "road trip cruiser."

Rookie

the numbers just don't seem to be comparable, but of course cars are more than just the numbers. 400 at the wheels versus 6 hundred something makes it likely the answer is no
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
I guess the question is "balanced for what?" I've only done 12 to 15 road track days in the past 2 to 3 years (Kershaw SC, Gateway Motorsports - IL, Autobahn Country Club - IL ), but what I have observed is that the Porches, Corvettes and BMWs, each, outnumber the Mustangs by 8 to 10 times. I think that tells me that people looking for a car to drive on the road tracks look to those cars much more then Mustangs (especially when you consider how many more Mustangs are built then the other three cars). It appears that very few Mustang drivers ever get their car on a road-course. Twisty highways are interesting but not really competitive - including the Tail of The Dragon - which I have driven. I suspect most Mustang drivers - if they really press the pedal - are racing stoplight to stoplight with something next to them. The BOSS 302 was really a nicely designed road track car - the GT, not so much.

Last edited by Radioguy; 08-27-2014 at 09:02 AM.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Chrysler went through with offering their muscle/pony car with more hp than the viper
Chrysler is reported to be testing a supercharged V10 package for the Viper. The Gen 5 already has forged internals and you only need low boost with a 512 cubic inch engine to get silly power....like 640 is not enough. All more power to me means is a longer walk out of the woods.

06 Mustang GT, 76mm turbo @ 22lbs boost, built 302, built fuel, 4r70w + transbrake, gutted, 10.0 @ 136 mph in 1/4 (sold 2011)

S550 mercedes, stock, daily driver

previoulsy owned
2002 viper gts
2006 viper coupe
2013 srt viper base (track package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2015 mustang , 2015 mustang gt , hellcat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page