Changes to the 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Changes to the 5.0

The 2015 5.0 is undergoing some significant changes: larger intake and exhaust valves, forged rods and crankshaft, updated pistons and camshaft. I hope they get it right the first time since any fault with any of the changes could be catastrophic to the engine...all for an additional 15 hp and 10 lbs of torque. I would be leery about the first batch of engines. Maybe in 2 or 3 years?....

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
You mean the stuff that's been taken from the Boss 302 program that was in production for a couple years and tested and raced before that? I don't there will be few, if any issues at all.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
You mean the stuff that's been taken from the Boss 302 program that was in production for a couple years and tested and raced before that? I don't there will be few, if any issues at all.
I hope that's the case. Seldom do they make problem-free introductions.

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
I agree. This is far from a new engine or new parts. It's basically the boss 302 engine minus the intake and a few other things. I think it's going to be a great engine and the new parts will make forced induction applications even sweeter

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014
Rookie

I'm sure there won't be any issues.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014
Rookie

The Coyote has had forged rods and crank since the beginning 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014
GT Member

I'm expecting Brenspeed to continue their "Corvette Killer" line of Roush superchargers. I'd like to see a 750R or 775R kit for the 2015, and I think it's well within reason given the engine upgrades. The engine isn't my main concern. It's the things that are fundamentally being changed. I usually like to stay a body style behind and wait for the kinks to be worked out and buy a sub 50,000 mile car for 1/2-1/3 of what it was new.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014
PONY Member

I do not expect any stock 1st generation Coyote will be able to run with the upgraded Coyote. The 10Lbs-Ft of new torque and lower weight will make the upgraded Coyote a winner on the street and drag strip.

I traded-in my 2006 GT for my current 2011 GT solely to get the new Coyote engine. Now I am thinking that my 2011 GT may be traded for a 2016 GT just to have the upgraded Coyote even though I am not keen on the new body style.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
The 2015 5.0 is undergoing some significant changes: larger intake and exhaust valves, forged rods and crankshaft, updated pistons and camshaft. I hope they get it right the first time since any fault with any of the changes could be catastrophic to the engine...all for an additional 15 hp and 10 lbs of torque. I would be leery about the first batch of engines. Maybe in 2 or 3 years?....

In 2 or 3 years they will be on to the next generation of motors. Last I heard coyote was only supposed to go through 2015 then they were going to start a new platform. I'm sure that could have changed since I read about it though.

2013 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack and Recaro's plus more
1987 Mustang LX "Ironhead" - Everything you can think of
1999 Mustang DOHC swap carbe'd and fully built
1992 Bronco, lifted 33's built 351
Plus a few other cars and bikes in the fleet.
Rookie

I wonder if the new 5.0 engine will be manufactured without the inherent noise issue from the 1st generation. I really like this new motor but I like the earlier body style. Too bad Ford was so conservative with the new platform/body. I would have liked a more 'modern' advanced look.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
I do not expect any stock 1st generation Coyote will be able to run with the upgraded Coyote. The 10Lbs-Ft of new torque and lower weight will make the upgraded Coyote a winner on the street and drag strip.

I traded-in my 2006 GT for my current 2011 GT solely to get the new Coyote engine. Now I am thinking that my 2011 GT may be traded for a 2016 GT just to have the upgraded Coyote even though I am not keen on the new body style.
Well the new car is heavier not lighter. What is really important is the power-to-weight ratio. Ford says for the new GT it is 8.52 vs 8.61 for the 2014 GT. But that is using flywheel hp not rwhp. If there is any increase in driveline loss because of the new IRS (and there will be) then it probably be a "wash" between the two. The new Mustang might be faster on a road course, but I doubt that there will be any gains vs the current generation on the street or at the drag strip.

2014 GT Premium / Deep Impact Blue / 6 speed / 401A-Charcoal and Cashmere / Comfort Pkg / Sec and Rear Sensing Pkg / 19" Mach Alum Wheels / 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page