2015 2.3 Ecoboost vs 5.0 v8: Which one to buy? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Mods should move this to the S550 section
Agreed.

They should also rename the 2011+ section to 2011-2014 so this stops happening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Agreed.

Great Idea. I wonder how soon they will make the change.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
In my opinion the V8 is the safer platform to modify. The 2.3L Ecoboost will probably be near the ragged edge at 400-450 RWHP, if this power level is achieved without significant internal upgrades.
This will depend on how well built the 2.3t is from the factory. It is certainly conceivable that big power can be gained from ecu,intake,exhaust upgrades. If the motor is as stout as say the 2.0t motors in say, an Evo, a bigger turbo+intercooler added to the 2.3t can lead to some pretty big power. The good thing about turbo motors is that they are generally designed to take a lot more stress than the average NA motor.

Rookie

Bang for your buck, I'd take the EB every day of the week. Faster than the V6, lighter and more nimble, good gas mileage, and with an $8k difference from the 5.0, it could have more creature comforts, or be modded out to be as fast as the 5.0.

If you have a lot of money and don't give a f*ck then the 5.0 is the one, but for the sensible, on-a-budget buyer the 2.3 just seems like a steal in my eyes.

2011 Mustang V6, loaded, 3.31/FRPP/Bama 93R -- SOLD

2013 Ford Focus ST3 - bone stock
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
I agree that time will tell. But right now I believe that it won't be that easy squeezing another 100 hp out of the EB and the current 5.0 supposedly can be modified to 600 plus hp with no problem and the 2015 5.0 is even better equipped to handle higher hp.

Remember the SVO of the mid 80's. It was a turbocharged 2.3 litre with about 200 hp at that time. Ford has already increased that HP by 50% in the last 30 years.

Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The two 2.3L turbo motors have absolutely nothing in common with one another, other than the displacement, so comparing them is useless. And the EB motors have forged internals, so squeezing more power out of them will not stress the internals any more than it does on a Coyote.

And if you haven't followed, getting more power out of forced induction motors is usually very easy and cheap. No guarantee that will be the case with this particular EB motor, but there's a great chance.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E GT View Post
From what I have read, the 2015 EB will weigh 3,524 lbs (auto- heaviest). The GT auto will weigh 3,729 lbs or 205 lbs more making 435 hp. On the GT then, that is 8.57 lbs per hp so if the weight of the GT were shaved to that of the EB, it would only need 411 hp to be equal (roughly speaking). So in theory then, get that EB to 411 hp and go toe to toe with a 2015 GT. Only 101 hp needed. Not sure how that could be done for less than the cost of buying a GT.
There's a $6,000-$7,000 difference between a GT and an EB Mustang.

$6,000-$7,000 will buy a metric poop-ton of power enhancements, and you'd be starting with a lighter car. Lighter is everything.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Apprentice

I'm really excited about the ecoboost stang and cant wait to see the modded numbers once boost is dialed up. I personally don't care if a mustang is a 4, 6 or 8 banger. As long as it gets good horsepower and fuel economy I'm down. Hell, I would love a boosted diesel 6 stang!

And for all the people who say if you bought a mustang you shouldn't worry about fuel economy aren't being practical. My pony is my daily commuter (I'm sure many here are as well) so I need to think about fuel economy and it needs to be reasonable. That's why I love my 6, I have 300whp and 30+mpg. I get my cake and eat it too. Now if I can have 350 or 400 whp and 35+mpg then I would just be ecstatic... that's why I'm excited about the ecoboost. So yes, horsepower in my mind is just as important as fuel economy...the more the better!

Plus, its very easy to get power for cheap in a turbo. Just tuning alone usually nets you around 50+hp. I had to add every single bolt on mod on my 6 to get that!

The ultimate deciding factor is can the motor handle the increased boost and how much. My friend had a tuned mazdaspeed 3 that made 300whp and his motor pretty much died at around 150k km.

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Having a sleeper EB4 that hangs with a 5.0 would be pretty cool.

I think the EB4 has a ton of potential but the sky is the limit for the 5.0.

If money is no object than load up a 5.0 (mine comes in at over 42k the way I want it configured). If money is a factor than you have to choose what is more important, creature comforts or raw horse power. Its a lot easier to add power.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Great Idea. I wonder how soon they will make the change.
Its been under discussion behind the scenes since the S550 debuted on GMA back in December.

It will happen soon enough.....

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Rookie

I personally do not trust the reliability of a turbo 4 over a n/a v8. For these reasons I will get v8. I also don't really think a muscle car should sound like a civic.

My signature consists of a simple fact. Mustang is a muscle car. Have a nice day.
Apprentice

I'd take the 5.0 all day every day over the Ecoboost if it was no cost considerations. I'm still interested to see how the Ecoboost performs and it's reliability.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Real simple

Gas mileage and crappy sounding exhaust the 4 cylinder.
Roar and sound of V8 muscle the 5.0.

All kidding aside the Eco boost should provide very impressive power along with torque and gas mileage. But I have reservations on the 4 cylinder especially when guys turn up the heat. Longevity comes to mind, just saying. whereas you already know what you can expect from the 5.0. Just saying.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelertown View Post
I personally do not trust the reliability of a turbo 4 over a n/a v8. For these reasons I will get v8. I also don't really think a muscle car should sound like a civic.
Heard that a LOT back when the 4cyl imports started making an imprint in the car culture back in the '70s. None of the theory came to any fruition.

I was in Baldwin, Mo a week or so ago and a Taurus SHO, evidently modded at least with exhaust, took off from a light and it sounded like the worst fart I've ever heard! Like Sheet is an understatement!

Probably went like hell but ??

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Apprentice

I'm a bit excited about the EB 2015, but will be keeping my 2011 5.0 and will replace my 2012 Focus with a 2017 EB Mustang. Only worry is I'll probably do it and then find the 2.3L Turbo getting 21mpg avg. but at least I won't be daily driving a Focus anymore.

2011 GT Premium, Grabber Blue, Brembo, 3.73, etc.
1978 Mustang II T-Top, 351W, Tremec 3550
1978 Mustang II Coupe, 2.3L Turbo, Holset, MegaSquirt
Apprentice

I own a 2012 5.0 and it is indeed a fast car. I also owned a 1987 Buick Grand National. With a chip change and a variable fuel regulator, that car went from 13.90s to high and mid 12's easy. Boost is a wonderful thing. The 231 cubic inch Buick V6 at 14.6 pounds boost is putting in the same amount of fuel and air as a 462 inch motor. don't count the 2.3 out. I also swapped the entire drive train from an 87 Grand National into a 1984 Monte Carlo SS. With bigger turbo, injectors and tuning with a laptop the car went 11.01 at 122. The Coyote engine is still amazing to me though, and I still can't believe the power it puts down. Way more than any 60's muscle car I drove back then, including hemis and 454 Chevelles!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page