2015 2.3 Ecoboost vs 5.0 v8: Which one to buy? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

My guess is that the EB will have a small turbo that will ultimately limit its upside. A tune and bolt-ons will give a ton of extra low end power but the turbo will be maxed out quickly. I'm guessing Ford knows exactly what they are doing here, these aren't the old days where there was little risk of little brother overshadowing big brother due to so few people "in the know".

The sky or the engine's internals are the limit after a turbo upgrade though, which could be easy or difficult depending on the setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelertown View Post
I personally do not trust the reliability of a turbo 4 over a n/a v8. For these reasons I will get v8. I also don't really think a muscle car should sound like a civic.
They're not muscle cars. Never have been, certainly aren't now.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I can see the aftermarket for the EB being an unexpected pain. Not as much as the 3.7 market has been, which is quite abysmal IMO, but I can easily foresee a lot of snags. I'm not entirely convinced a few "easy" (keyword) mod's are going to do the trick. It depends upon the roadblocks Ford might have intentionally engineered.

Will the car deliver on expectations? I'm sure it will.

Will it be a blast to drive? Sure! Why wouldn't it?

Is it the platform to go with? If big power is your goal, then I'm in the V8 court. The EB 2.3 is too much expense for too little gain compared to the 5.0. Is fuel economy the target? Well, this could prove aces compared to the 3.7. I see the 3.7 being virtually dead in the Mustang arena now.

Me? Comparing apples to oranges, I'd go with the 5.0.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton199 View Post
Bang for your buck, I'd take the EB every day of the week. Faster than the V6, lighter and more nimble, good gas mileage, and with an $8k difference from the 5.0, it could have more creature comforts, or be modded out to be as fast as the 5.0.
Faster than the 3.7 (11-14) is only assumed at this point. Very little doubt it will be faster than the '15 3.7). As far as I know, no one has seen any actual performance numbers yet. No idea how far Ford has fudged the output to make a sale.

A lot of us thought the 3.7 could be easily modded-out to meet or beat the 5.0. A few have succeeded but at a much greater than expected cost. This might end up being a similiar story with the EB. Difficult to say at this point.

But I whole-heartedly agree with you: 5.0 all the way!

Someone will mod the weedeater to 1,200 HP some day, but it won't be me.
Rookie

After looking at interior pictures on base vs premium, this screen is really getting to me. The base screen is just so ugly, but I can't swing $5000 more just to be able to get the factory nav. I hope the screen on the base is an easy swap for an aftermarket nav. Anyone happen to have any info on that?

My signature consists of a simple fact. Mustang is a muscle car. Have a nice day.
Apprentice

I suppose it's fun to speculate, but given that no one here has driven the EB and no aftermarket exists for it yet, that's all this is. While weight is an advantage for the EB, I expect gas mileage to go out the window when the wick is turned up. Longevity issues will take some time to figure out, whereas the 5.0 is proven. It'll be interesting to watch.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
But I whole-heartedly agree with you: 5.0 all the way!

Someone will mod the weedeater to 1,200 HP some day, but it won't be me.
right on!
PONY Member

For me...I would take the V8. In any form...5.0 or 5.2-5.8 (whatever is in the next gen GT350's and GT500 replacement).

The 2.3 should be a promising platform, though. I would put good money on the aftermarket BOOMING for that engine...much more than the 3.7. You have to remember, many big companies who specialize in 4 cylinder turbo engines will expand to the Mustang. Much like they have done for the Focus/Fiesta ST.

Also, for what it's worth...the new Focus RS is supposed to have the 2.3 from the Mustang. The potential will be screaming out of these engines.

With all that said, though...I'd rather have a V8.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgor93 View Post
The 2015 Mustang GT will have more than 400 hp right off the bat, but the Ecoboost version will have the potential to meet, if not exceed that amount of power with some simple aftermarket mods ...
This is no longer the 80's, so the question of "V8 vs. 4 vs. 6 potential hp" no longer exists.

It all comes down to the exhaust sound. If you want a V8 rumble, get the V8. If not, get the 4 or the 6.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 R/Red 5.0 View Post
This is no longer the 80's, so the question of "V8 vs. 4 vs. 6 potential hp" no longer exists.

It all comes down to the exhaust sound. If you want a V8 rumble, get the V8. If not, get the 4 or the 6.
There are tons of factors. Seriously, the only one you think that is worth making a $8,000 decision on is sound?

The V8 will have about 440 hp with a factory warranty, while getting the 4Cyl to even match that will blow that away the moment they start tuning the thing.

In addition to that, even if someone gets the 4cyl to match the v8, they would easily blow through the 8k they "Saved" by getting the 4Cyl.

We shouldn't be comparing MOD-to-MOD because MOST PEOPLE DON'T MOD CARS.

In-fact this thread is even worse, you guys are comparing a modded 4cyl to the stock v8. At least stick apples to apples.

If we want to compare apples to apples, a modded v8 will win every time. Physics basically guarantees that.

2011 Mustang GT, Black with Black stripe.
6 Speed Manual.
3.73 + Brembo Brake Package.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.
Appearance Package 4.(Hood Scoop and Rear Spoiler)

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Is it the platform to go with? If big power is your goal, then I'm in the V8 court. The EB 2.3 is too much expense for too little gain compared to the 5.0.
If big power is your goal, displacement wins out, everything else being equal, all the time. Bu your expense comment is exactly why the turbo makes more sense than a V8. Getting big HP on a coyote is NOT cheap if you're doing it right. 800+ hp is not a bolt on affair--at least if you want to drive it hard beyond a quarter mile rip at a time. The whole engine needs to be rebuilt/beefed up.

Will you get 800 hp on a 2.3Lt? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to own any 800+ hp 4-cyl motor. However, I would bet that 500-550 hp wouldn't be all that hard to get and when you consider the purchase price of the car+mods, it will likely be cheaper than a similarly equipped GT+blower kit. And with the blower kit, you still haven't touched the engine internal which were designed for a NA car. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be putting a coyote with a bolt-on blower on a road course. The 2.3L is already designed for boost--the question will be how much boost can it handle and how big of a turbo can you get on the car. 10 psi leads to different hp numbers when using different sized turbos, for example.

People have been playing with the 3.5 EB motors for several years and I haven't heard of any issues with them--and they aren't even in any legit performance cars. It would be odd for Ford to cheap out on the EB they put in their only serious performance car.
PONY Member

If you want to reach the 5.0 HP, get the 5.0, probably with the ecoboost it will be harder for that engine to reach that HP level with mods, and the longevity of your engine will have a shorter life than of the 5.0 with minimal mods.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
Rookie

GT is gonna be ridiculous out of the box, the 2.3 is gonna take some extra tweaking and cash. id prefer to not mess with it and get 400 hp to the wheels from the factory.
Rookie

People are getting carried away with this Eco idea. It will only be economical assuming you stay out of boost. Driving the car with any sort of enthusiasm will cause the Eco benefits to go down big time. The whole idea is to move everyone to higher MPG models (per ratings, not real world numbers) to avoid EPA CAFE penalties. If the GT is priced high, the average cheapskate will buy the cheaper higher MPG car, so more units sold equals less CAFE impact. As the CAFE requirements increase, then you'll see even higher pricing of v8 models until finally they are no more. Pretty ingenious way bending the consumer to what the EPA thinks is best for all of us.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
EGT
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I'll wait for the 3.5L ecoboost then see. Assuming Ford has plans for that. Until then - keeping the 5.0

2012 Black Premium GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page