2015 2.3 Ecoboost vs 5.0 v8: Which one to buy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2015 2.3 Ecoboost vs 5.0 v8: Which one to buy?

The 2015 Mustang GT will have more than 400 hp right off the bat, but the Ecoboost version will have the potential to meet, if not exceed that amount of power with some simple aftermarket mods. Plus, even with these mods, chances are it will still average something like 20/30 in fuel economy. Right now, mods are pushing the 220hp Focus to 270. Also, a similar 2.3 engine is already in use in some places in Europe, and mods already pushing 450 WHP. So what do you think, get the 2.3 L ecoboost, or the V8? Nobody is debating the fact that the V8 is probably the best engine, but the four-cylinder has so much more aftermarket potential.

As a side note, how much would boosting the HP to close to 400 reduce the lifespan of the engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
Rookie

how does the 4cyl have more aftermarket potential when the v8 already has a huge aftermarket following. plus once its maxed out the v8 will still surpass it with mods since its still N/A. just my thought..

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13'BlackStang View Post
how does the 4cyl have more aftermarket potential when the v8 already has a huge aftermarket following. plus once its maxed out the v8 will still surpass it with mods since its still N/A. just my thought..
I'm thinking more in term of fuel economy and price (it's like $8k cheaper).

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
MACH I Member

In my opinion the V8 is the safer platform to modify. The 2.3L Ecoboost will probably be near the ragged edge at 400-450 RWHP, if this power level is achieved without significant internal upgrades.

The upper limit for a V8 is much higher.

I think the 2.3 L Ecoboost will be a nice platform, but for pure performance and modification potential the V8 is the better choice IMO.

Also, and again IMO, fuel economy should not be a major consideration when buying a Mustang, or any other "performance" vehicle for that matter.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgor93 View Post
Nobody is debating the fact that the V8 is probably the best engine, but the four-cylinder has so much more aftermarket potential.
lol what
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
PONY Member

wouldn't waste my time on a 4 banger and you'll never out mod a 5.0 with that.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
PONY Member

The 5.0 has more potential. The ecoboost is nice for the younger crowd who like boost and good gas mileage.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
Apprentice

Having grown up in the 70's, I drove a 4 banger Mustang II from 76 to 83. That term "4 banger mustang", regardless of how much crap they add to it to sup it up, triggers a visceral response in me. It's like an ugly girl running her fingernails down a chalkboard at the BMV!! Run-away, run-away!! LOL

2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Kona Blue, Auto, Quarter Louvers, Black Bullitt Wheels. GT500 Axleback Exhaust.
PONY Member

There's a real good chance the EB will be the Mustang to buy.

It will be significantly lighter, and that is the most important thing. If it is easy to get to around 400HP without stressing the motor, it will be faster than a 5.0

Time will tell.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post

It will be significantly lighter, and that is the most important thing. If it is easy to get to around 400HP without stressing the motor, it will be faster than a 5.0

Time will tell.
I agree that time will tell. But right now I believe that it won't be that easy squeezing another 100 hp out of the EB and the current 5.0 supposedly can be modified to 600 plus hp with no problem and the 2015 5.0 is even better equipped to handle higher hp.

Remember the SVO of the mid 80's. It was a turbocharged 2.3 litre with about 200 hp at that time. Ford has already increased that HP by 50% in the last 30 years.

Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Remember the SVO of the mid 80's. It was a turbocharged 2.3 litre with about 200 hp at that time. Ford has already increased that HP by 50% in the last 30 years.

Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can not compare the two. The SVO was a 2 valve engine, with primitive port fuel injection EFI. The new Turbo has direct injection, variable valve timing for its 4 valves per cylinder, and ridiculous compresion ratio.

Im keeping my 5.0 but to infer that the turbo is reaching its HP potential due the power the SVO had is about relevant as saying yeah well the old 5.0 had 225hp so the new one cant go much higher.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
You can not compare the two. The SVO was a 2 valve engine, with primitive port fuel injection EFI. The new Turbo has direct injection, variable valve timing for its 4 valves per cylinder, and ridiculous compresion ratio.

Im keeping my 5.0 but to infer that the turbo is reaching its HP potential due the power the SVO had is about relevant as saying yeah well the old 5.0 had 225hp so the new one cant go much higher.
I agree that the 2.3 Turbo and the 5.0 increases in hp, torque, and performance is due to the changes that you have listed. I guess there are other ways we don't know about yet, or have not been used yet, that will further increase output of the engines. But like they have said forever, there is no replacement for displacement.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post

Time will tell.
From what I have read, the 2015 EB will weigh 3,524 lbs (auto- heaviest). The GT auto will weigh 3,729 lbs or 205 lbs more making 435 hp. On the GT then, that is 8.57 lbs per hp so if the weight of the GT were shaved to that of the EB, it would only need 411 hp to be equal (roughly speaking). So in theory then, get that EB to 411 hp and go toe to toe with a 2015 GT. Only 101 hp needed. Not sure how that could be done for less than the cost of buying a GT.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Kona Blue, Auto, Quarter Louvers, Black Bullitt Wheels. GT500 Axleback Exhaust.
PONY Member

Mods should move this to the S550 section

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page