2015 ecoBoost engine...the fact no one is talking about. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 coyote View Post
you need to take this to the 2015 mustang section,or theeco boost engine section.
^^^^^^^^^^+1000

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I`ll move it to the 2015 section.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grom80 View Post
Now you probably have read a gazillion posts about this new 4 cylinder engine...and all the pros and cons as well as the "attitude/principle" bashers or those who are fooled in thinking it is a great way to save cash on gas and still get the hp.

Yes fooled...

Because u keep reading all these articles and all these praises for this new toy pony of an engine, but No one, especially the press, is asking a simple question :

"How long will this engine last ? Will it take the mileage we are used to in American engines ? Or will it fall apart after 30k miles ?"

As an article said..."EcoBoost is just plain better than the 3.7L V6…"...MY ASS. A 4 cylinder is far less balanced as an engine than a V6...anyone in the motor world will tell you that...who cares about the extra 5hp if you are squeezing the hell out of 4 cylinders. Moreover you will be extremely limited on mods...I foresee the classic Euro car issue...after 40k miles the engine is yesterday's garbage! ...and I am someone who owned numerous sports cars back in Europe that were all 4 cylinder supercharged or turbo. The great thing about American cars is their longevity...we'll see about this engine...

I bet my house that is Ford's "secret" intention...steer non GT buyers (who could simply not afford it...) towards a 4 cylinder that lasts 30-40k miles and then they are forced to rebuy...because it boggles my mind to keep reading such garbage articles where supposed "experts" praise this toy pony of an engine without even addressing life-span or longevity or reliability questions...look at all the Euro engines ! THEY DO NOT LAST! When I lived in Europe a car that was 30k miles (especially a sports car...) was OLD and time to change! That is because they could NOT take the mileage !

Any attempt I made to state this point on mustang FB pages (official)...resulted in my posts being deleted and me being blocked. Smells like last week's fish...

A drove my 1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupe with it's 2.3L 4cyl 250K miles without issue, that engine was pushing 21psi of boost at max. I wouldn't worry about the ECOBOOST, especially with direct injection.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121

PONY Member

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
PONY Member

"The fact no one is talking about"?

What "fact" OP? You're not offering up any "facts", just wild, tinfoil hat theory and conjecture.

Troll.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196 View Post
Were you wearing your tinfoil hat while you came up with this prediction?
LOL, I was going to post this exact same comment.

And isn't Ford's warranty 36K miles? Why would they design a motor that would possibly fail within a warranty period? Then they would have to pay to fix it. Doesn't sound like a very well thought conspiracy.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
About this thread?
a trool

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat07GT View Post
LOL, I was going to post this exact same comment.

And isn't Ford's warranty 36K miles? Why would they design a motor that would possibly fail within a warranty period? Then they would have to pay to fix it. Doesn't sound like a very well thought conspiracy.
5 year 60k power train

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
BOSS Member

Garage
For some reason there is always a rather significant percentage of car people that stick to a 1960s, 70s or 80s mentality about cars. Regardless of the decade that everybody else is living in.
Rookie

Heck of a lot of 100,000+ mile SRT4's running around these here parts. I just saw a 2.2 Turbo LeBaron yesterday with over 300,000 miles. Original engine, with the original head still on.
Don't count out Fords 4 banger just yet...Ya'll just might be eating some crow!

Son traded his '94 GT for a complete Cervini package '05 GT. Not bad for a 19 year old, eh.
Rookie

My biggest issue with this thread is that the OP is exaggerating reliability quite a bit, and then the comments reply with examples of turbo cars with completely different technologies than the ecoboost and with no records of how most of those cars were driven.

Hence, with that aside I Think it's best we focus on what we know. Currently all Ecoboost engines suffer from pre-mature Carbon build up. Don't believe me look at any F-150/Fusion ecoboost forums. We all know the effects of carbon build up and what it will do in the long run so i don't need to explain that. As it stands Ford hasn't done much to solve the problem but most shops will manually clean where ever you may have deposit build ups if you ask. The issue is.. that will not be a problem on either the V6 or V8 models. Hence, the question is will Ford either find a way to rectify the situation or will they leave it. After awhile Shops are going to start charging high dollar for that service and making individuals question whether a few dollars in gas/insurance was worth it.

Both sides make noteworthy points here, but i think there are a few things we are just outright ignoring too.
PONY Member

Grom80's gripes have no basis in fact, so they are 100% his personal assumptions.

GM has recently been caught selling its customers vehicles with serious design flaws, and I seriously doubt that the Ford Motor Company would follow GM into the toilet by offering the Eco-Boost engine with a poor engine life.

The Eco-Boost engine has been on the street for a while in various Ford cars, and not once have I read or heard any rumor that the Eco-Boost engine is a failure.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
GT Member

If you look at the "engine preference thread," you will see that only about 11% of the people on the board prefer the 4cyl engine. It isn't too exciting for "car enthusiasts," which is predominantly the population of this board. So there really isn't much to say......

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
Grom80's gripes have no basis in fact, so they are 100% his personal assumptions.

GM has recently been caught selling its customers vehicles with serious design flaws, and I seriously doubt that the Ford Motor Company would follow GM into the toilet by offering the Eco-Boost engine with a poor engine life.

The Eco-Boost engine has been on the street for a while in various Ford cars, and not once have I read or heard any rumor that the Eco-Boost engine is a failure.
It's too early to say the Eco-boost engine is a failure, but there are numerous threads of the eco-boost engines receiving carbon Build up causing poor idling till warm up or in some cases predetonation. There are even Videos of it on YT. When we start seeing more hit the 150k Mark we should have a better understanding. I still think both sides of this thread are jumping the gun
PONY Member

It's too much of a long shot trying to figure out how the reliability of the 2.3 is going to be.

There are MANY reliable turbo cars from factory...and many not so reliable ones. It's true...there are a lot more things that can go wrong with them compared to N/A engines or even PD boosted ones...leaks especially. Also, over the years, the engines do get a little more "tired". This won't stop it from being a potentially great engine, though.

The only gripe I have with the new 2.3 is the mileage...which I can't wait to see when released, especially under the new guidelines. Anyone who has owned or driven a turbo knows, that going into boost, even a little bit, EATS fuel. Real world mileage will be a BIG factor.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page