2015 ecoBoost engine...the fact no one is talking about. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2015 ecoBoost engine...the fact no one is talking about.

Now you probably have read a gazillion posts about this new 4 cylinder engine...and all the pros and cons as well as the "attitude/principle" bashers or those who are fooled in thinking it is a great way to save cash on gas and still get the hp.

Yes fooled...

Because u keep reading all these articles and all these praises for this new toy pony of an engine, but No one, especially the press, is asking a simple question :

"How long will this engine last ? Will it take the mileage we are used to in American engines ? Or will it fall apart after 30k miles ?"

As an article said..."EcoBoost is just plain better than the 3.7L V6"...MY ASS. A 4 cylinder is far less balanced as an engine than a V6...anyone in the motor world will tell you that...who cares about the extra 5hp if you are squeezing the hell out of 4 cylinders. Moreover you will be extremely limited on mods...I foresee the classic Euro car issue...after 40k miles the engine is yesterday's garbage! ...and I am someone who owned numerous sports cars back in Europe that were all 4 cylinder supercharged or turbo. The great thing about American cars is their longevity...we'll see about this engine...

I bet my house that is Ford's "secret" intention...steer non GT buyers (who could simply not afford it...) towards a 4 cylinder that lasts 30-40k miles and then they are forced to rebuy...because it boggles my mind to keep reading such garbage articles where supposed "experts" praise this toy pony of an engine without even addressing life-span or longevity or reliability questions...look at all the Euro engines ! THEY DO NOT LAST! When I lived in Europe a car that was 30k miles (especially a sports car...) was OLD and time to change! That is because they could NOT take the mileage !

Any attempt I made to state this point on mustang FB pages (official)...resulted in my posts being deleted and me being blocked. Smells like last week's fish...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
MACH I Member

From my experience with Saab, turbocharged four cylinder engines can be bullet proof; at least the H-engine family.

Of course, we ARE talking about Ford here though. So who knows.

Also, if it falls apart after 30k miles, you will still have your warranty. So it won't matter.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

You need to take this to the 2015 Mustang section,or theEco Boost engine section.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
BOSS Member

IMHO, at 100k is where the determination will start to be made in regards to any gas vehicle with a turbo. Some people like turbos, some like blowers, some like normally aspirated. IMHO, with gas engines for street use/daily drivers, I just don't like any boost at all...too many variables to cause damage in the long run, fuel quality, road debries, etc....and very few of these last as long as a normally aspirated gas engine....Yes the tech is great but…..the 70’s & 80’s were demonstrative of the numerous issues including finding a "Tech" who actually understands & can diagnose the system without causing further damage....this is a challenge with the engines we currently have.
As with any new application, there are going to be real world challenges especially in the 1st three years. Although the Ecoboost has been used for many years in Lincoln applications, it continues to have (although small in quantity) complaints…one common one is sudden lack of power….and of course the Feds are starting an inquiry following the filing of a related lawsuit.
Placing this drivetrain in the F150 chassis has by appearance brought continuation of this potential issue and new ones as a result of the “different chassis” and use. While the 5.0 is by engineering specs “new”, it is for the most part a conventional platform based around proven technology….IMHO, I would wait 3 years to buy this also but if I had no choice but to buy right now……I would wager the reliability on the 5.0 any day compared to the much more complicated Ecoboost.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
Apprentice

I had a 91 Volvo Turbo that had almost 200k miles on it. I upped the boost on it as well. The Volvo turbo's were pretty much bullet proof. Since Ford owned Volvo for stretch I would have assumed the Ford engineers would have learned something from them.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmore View Post
I had a 91 Volvo Turbo that had almost 200k miles on it. I upped the boost on it as well. The Volvo turbo's were pretty much bullet proof. Since Ford owned Volvo for stretch I would have assumed the Ford engineers would have learned something from them.
Yeah I forgot to mention Volvo in my post about Saab. Both produced bullet-proof turbo 4 cylinder engines.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

don't feed this troll...2 posts?

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
don't feed this troll...2 posts?
Word, the op is clueless!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grom80 View Post
I bet my house that is Ford's "secret" intention...steer non GT buyers (who could simply not afford it...) towards a 4 cylinder that lasts 30-40k miles and then they are forced to rebuy...
Were you wearing your tinfoil hat while you came up with this prediction?

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

About this thread?

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Rookie

I'm not sure how long a 4 cyl Eco boost will last as far as miles. I'm wondering why anyone would want one? I can't believe ford would put a 4 cyl in a mustang to begin with turbo or not . I think the mustang should be a v8 only car , with options as far as 5.0 , 5.8 , 427, you don't see any 4cyl corvettes
PONY Member

I think the OP made some good points, although we will have to wait to see the results.

The 4 cyl Eco boost is designed for foreign countries, a lot of which charge heavy taxes based on the engine displacement.

I wish Ford could make a 3.7L V8 that has maybe 200 lb-ft of torque, and a redline of 15K RPM. Just like my Kawasaki Ninja. The sound and the thrill from the acceleration will be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor boy View Post
I'm not sure how long a 4 cyl Eco boost will last as far as miles. I'm wondering why anyone would want one? I can't believe ford would put a 4 cyl in a mustang to begin with turbo or not . I think the mustang should be a v8 only car , with options as far as 5.0 , 5.8 , 427, you don't see any 4cyl corvettes

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Californicajun

GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor boy View Post
You realize without all the sales of the V6 and 4 banger cars the V8 wouldn't exist or would be much much more expensive. If ford wants to sell a mustang with smaller engine options thats fine by me. That just means the mustang will continue to be for sale.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
Rookie

I understand the economics of what you are saying. I still think the mustang would sell just fine on a v8 platform. Most people think of the mustang as a muscle car, and I think ford should uphold that tradition not water it down. I saved for a long time to get the mustang I wanted and I'm happy with it . I know they had 6 cyl mustangs back in the 60s but every one wanted a v8, I guess it's good to have choices but I like the idea of some real badd mustangs coming out. Nice to see some horsepower wars starting agan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page