Gt's tire options - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Gt's tire options

I am considering selling the tires that come stock on my 2015 Mustang Gt when I receive mine, and put Michelin Super Sports. I have read and talked to a few guys that said the stock tires don't get great traction, especially in rain? If gets under 40 degrees I read in a few reviews the tires don't hook up. Do you all think that is a good decision sense it will be my daily driver and will be the beginning of winter in Georgia weather. Or should I stick with the stock tires and get 25 - 30k miles on them. If you do think it's a good decision to changing them would you guys recommend a different tire?

Ordered 2015 Mustang Gt, Performance Package, Recaros, and Reverse Sensing.The wait begins!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have used an entirely different setup for cold weather driving on my last three Mustangs. I have the Goodyear tires on the GT500 but I use a different set of tires and wheels for the colder months until it snows. Then I put the car away. I have a set of Pirelli PZero Nero all season 275/40/19 tires mounted on Boss 302 wheels as the setup. Using one set of tires all year long has never worked for me.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
I have used an entirely different setup for cold weather driving on my last three Mustangs. I have the Goodyear tires on the GT500 but I use a different set of tires and wheels for the colder months until it snows. Then I put the car away. I have a set of Pirelli PZero Nero all season 275/40/19 tires mounted on Boss 302 wheels as the setup. Using one set of tires all year long has never worked for me.

Pete
I would love to be able to do that but I will be on a limited budget. I don't know if I could afford another whole set of wheels for my car right away.

Ordered 2015 Mustang Gt, Performance Package, Recaros, and Reverse Sensing.The wait begins!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
PONY Member

Winter? In southern Georgia?

I drive year 'round on the same tires. You'll be fine if you're not a retard behind the wheel.

Plus, you need to understand that those tires are what makes the Performance Package. It's what makes such cars turn, stop, and grip. Sell them to replace them with un-needed all-season tires, and your performance goes right out the window. It would be rather silly to sell the high-performance tires that come on your car, which contribute massively to it's performance, for a few weeks out of the year that you would have to drive normally.

It's not like the tires stop working when they're cold, they just lose some of their incredible grip when it's cold, so they behave like normal tires on a normal car. Drive like a normal driver for a few weeks out of the year, and you'll be fine. And then you will have the incredible grip and performance the rest of the year.

So you understand what you're buying, the Performance Pack is similar to the Brembo/Track Pack cars. The tires last around 15k-20k miles before they're shot. So, you need to immediately start saving for new tires, if money is a concern.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Winter? In southern Georgia?

I drive year 'round on the same tires. You'll be fine if you're not a retard behind the wheel.

Plus, you need to understand that those tires are what makes the Performance Package. It's what makes such cars turn, stop, and grip. Sell them to replace them with un-needed all-season tires, and your performance goes right out the window. It would be rather silly to sell the high-performance tires that come on your car, which contribute massively to it's performance, for a few weeks out of the year that you would have to drive normally.

It's not like the tires stop working when they're cold, they just lose some of their incredible grip when it's cold, so they behave like normal tires on a normal car. Drive like a normal driver for a few weeks out of the year, and you'll be fine. And then you will have the incredible grip and performance the rest of the year.

So you understand what you're buying, the Performance Pack is similar to the Brembo/Track Pack cars. The tires last around 15k-20k miles before they're shot. So, you need to immediately start saving for new tires, if money is a concern.
I'm not plaining on getting all season tires. He just made that suggestion. What I am saying I'm not going to be able to get all season tires because I know summer tires will only last 20k. And Super Sports are not all season tires. They are a better summer tire that is suppose to last longer, from what I have read, but that may not be true. I am just considering selling the stocks as almost brand new tires and get 600-700 dollars for them and help pay for the others. But if you think it's stupid then that's what I need to hear haha.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014
PONY Member

I am a hater on the Pirelli P Zeros, but some say they have been improved since I had mine on my current mustang. I now have the Pilot Super Sports, and they are better in every way. Quieter, wear better, handle better, so much better in the rain. Though about the same when it gets cold, but in Georgia it doesn't get as cold as Massachusetts. So you might be able to get away with the summer only tires. After you get the tires warmed up it isn't that bad

Since the performance Package has 19x9 front 19x9.5 rears if you do go with the super sports 265/40 front 275/40 rears are a good combo that's what I am running on Boss 302 wheels same size as the 15's performance package. There a little better overall diameter setup than the Pirellis that will come on your car

One other little bonus with the super sports, they have better rim protection than the Pirellis. The tire sticks out a little over 1/4 of a inch past the rim, so the tire does a much better job protecting the rim form curb damage

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014
GT Member

I am also running the Pilot Super Sports on my 2013 GT vert. Their traction is much better the the PZeros, even after 17,000 miles. Below about 40 degrees they assume the traction characteristics of a hockey puck, so I don't run them for the 5 months of winter in St. Louis. Although they don't have as great a traction characteristic after 17,000 miles, I am confident they will be good for the road (I used them on road course tracks earlier in their life) at least up to 25,000 miles.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014
PONY Member

I have the 275/40R19 mounted on my brembo wheels on a '11 5.0
I can assure you that they are much better tires than the stock pirellis trash tires, that did no last. These Michelin Super Sport tires are great, but I don't have any idea how they will work as Winter tires, since I'm in South TX and don't need to worry about that.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page