2015 Mustang Hood Corrosion - To buy or not to buy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

2015 Mustang Hood Corrosion - To buy or not to buy?

Looks like like the hood paint bubbling problem is here to stay.

Owners being denied warranty work for arbitrary reasons. Stories of indifferent and contemptuous dealers refusing to stand behind their products. Problems surfacing after 1-3 years, sometimes sooner,

Will it affect your decision in buying a 2015 mustang? Is a Camaro or Challenger a smarter buy since Ford is dragging its heels?

Class action lawsuit

Ford faces lawsuit over hood corrosion - Auto Technology Company

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
PONY Member

I has hood corrosion on my 2005 GT. I see some on my 2012 GT. I knew going in that it was an issue.

I hope the class-action lawsuit is successful. I will look in to joining it.

Would it stop me from buying a 2015 Mustang? No, as I would know it's a concern going in.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I had the issue as well. Ended up replacing the hood with a Cervini. It's really despicable that this is still an issue on these cars.

Everybody knows what's causing it; just fix the damn problem already, Ford.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
Rookie

I actually (some how) never heard about this. After a little research if it is as bad as google searching makes it sound, that is pretty bad for a modern car for sure. Honestly I didn't think rusting like that was something to even be thought of with modern cars. What makes them rust like that so quickly while so few other cars have that problem?

My signature consists of a simple fact. Mustang is a muscle car. Have a nice day.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It comes from little flecks of steel that get caught in the fold underneath the front of the hood during production; in places where it's not sealed well moisture gets in there and causes these flecks to expand and rust, popping the paint off the hood.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
PONY Member

and we know the 15 has a rust problem how?

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014
PONY Member

it really all depends on how you talk to the dealer or ford. I got the hood corrosion fixed by ford with no issue. You go in with a attitude you will get it in return. I talked to them with courtesy, and they said no problem, we will fix it

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wblv17 View Post
and we know the 15 has a rust problem how?
I don't think it will. Seems like they are committed to top quality with this generation. But I think it's only natural for people to be concerned because the hood bubbling was a recurring issue on the S197, and it didn't seem like Ford was very interested in fixing the root cause.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014
PONY Member

If the 2015 has any aluminum body panels, these are likely to have the corrosion problem because of Ford's manufacturing process. My 2006 GT had the hood corrosion, but the dealer had the hood refinished after I went to Ford's Customer Service with the issue. Currently my 2011 GT has the problem on the leading edge of the hood, but I have not yet approached the dealer to have it fixed.

I will take a careful look at the 2015 Mustangs, and if they have an aluminum hood, I would insist on at least a 5-year written guarantee specifically for this well known galvanic corrosion problem. Otherwise, I will not buy!

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
If the 2015 has any aluminum body panels, these are likely to have the corrosion problem because of Ford's manufacturing process. My 2006 GT had the hood corrosion, but the dealer had the hood refinished after I went to Ford's Customer Service with the issue. Currently my 2011 GT has the problem on the leading edge of the hood, but I have not yet approached the dealer to have it fixed.

I will take a careful look at the 2015 Mustangs, and if they have an aluminum hood, I would insist on at least a 5-year written guarantee specifically for this well known galvanic corrosion problem. Otherwise, I will not buy!
I think, hopefully wrong, that the front fenders and hood will be aluminum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Hasn't Ford released any info on how much aluminum there'll be on the new model?

Perhaps they haven't really started to market this new car yet aside from the few auto shows.

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
Hasn't Ford released any info on how much aluminum there'll be on the new model?

Perhaps they haven't really started to market this new car yet aside from the few auto shows.
Surely they've adjusted their paint process. Especially with the all aluminum body F150.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

i just noticed this problem a couple weeks ago. I knew, also, before buying this car it was a problem. still annoyed it's having it though. Now i'm trying to decide which local ford dealer to go bother. One has a really nice and helpful service manager. the other i just bought a lincoln mkx from so i figure they might be really helpful right now too.

2011 v6 race red black leather interior, premium, navigation, pony package, comfort package.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
Surely they've adjusted their paint process. Especially with the all aluminum body F150.

Why are you so sure?

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
Why are you so sure?
Never said I was. That said, 50k on my 2012 Mustang and zero hood corrosion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page