post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Disappointed with 2.3 and 3.7l 2015s

So the now v6 gets worse mpg (remember when it was rated at 305hp and 31mpg) and the 2.3 is coming in at 310hp and 31mpg, I was expecting better mpg than that.

Granted, the car gained wt. which accounts for some of the loss, but the news sucked the wind out of my enthusiasm a bit.

The GT and GT350 look to be the ones you want. MPG ratings are a pita. And misleading though. The standard GT is rated the same MPG as my 328hp v6 but I can promise you I never got close to the mpg in my 5.0 you can get in a nissan G or Z.

So maybe....31mpg. Isn't so bad. Maybe better than it seems for a light wt. mustang. Maybe with the 2.3 you'll actually see closer than that in real world driving. Could it compete with a genesis coupe? If so you have winner.

Still....the only one grabbing my attention is the GT350. I so want the 350 to be competitve with a z28... or at least, the next step down at a reasonable price.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014
Apprentice

The 2.3 is not being billed as an economy car, it is being billed as a performance package. The weight might be part of the MPG but I think when you squeeze 310 HP out of a small 4 cylinder you are going to sacrifice some fuel efficiency.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014
Rookie

What reason was there to expect significantly better highway mpg?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014
PONY Member

Well..I guess anyone has the right to be upset by this..but honestly, The mustang isn't a hybrid (even the "ecoboost") It's not marketed to people who was "great gas milage" yah know? I mean yes they have to compete wit the other foreign sports cars and have pressure with increasing gas prices but...it's not THAT big of a deal. + I've had 3 mustangs both 5.0 and 3.7V6 and I got better highway MPG's than either of them were rated for. But in the end, I didn't buy them for the appeal of gas milage...I don't really care. I just think that people who are looking for a fuel efficient car should get a hybrid or if they're looking for something "sporty" get a european tiny sports car. Those people should stay away from american muscle, which has never been centered around MPG's. With that said, I am confused as to why the V6 went down but I would assume it's because ford is trying to phase it out and just offer the ecoboost and GT.

Other side note: I am also very excited about the 350, the rumors and pictures flying around are very exciting. I am interested to see if Ford actually IS implementing a flat-plane crank and if so, how well they'll engineer it.

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I guess I just mistakenly assumed the 4cy ecoboast would be rated at a higher mpg than the 3.7 V6 was rated at so that it accomplished a little more than simply adding 5hp and making the car a bit lighter.

....silly me.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

After looking at some of the window stickers of the EB premium at 35k, if its performance you want get a base GT for less or a GT premium for 37k. As mentioned the EB is not going to net you any savings. Premium fuel, added maintenance, good chance you will be in boost a lot, 35k expense. Then there is Ford past history of fudging mpg numbers. From a well equipped price point perspective I am not all that impressed with the EB4 either over the GT and lets face it, Ford is purposely doing in the v6.

GT is looking better and better but its the GT350 running around the ring is what has caught my eye as well. I'll be back in the market in 3 years, perhaps ford will have released some meaningful data on the GT350 by then and get me back in a mustang.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page