Wieght gain a big negative? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A 3500lb mustang with 430hp+ on tap would not have been passed up.

I would have liked to have seen something smaller, lighter, more powerful and more evolutionary and really set the bar. But I am not disappointed in the least, Ford delivered a very nice car with a tweaked coyote engine and everything else improved.

Based on the reviews I have read, the s550 does more to show how dated the s197 is more so than leaping ahead of the competition.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)

Last edited by G-Mann; 09-25-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

What ruins this car for me isn't the weight, but the looks. But from all the reviews I have read, the extra weight for the IRS has paid off with regard to ride. Maybe it's me, but none of the reviews are really that overwhelmingly positive. Basically, you have a nice car with a modern ride and solid handling--but not outstanding handling. In contrast, when the '11 Mustang GT came out, journalists were absolutely gushing over almost every aspect of the car.

I'd still like to drive a '15 GT, but I'm not sure it's for me.

PONY Member

I don't understand why everyone is so mad about the weight. This mustang is an over-all better car. I think most everyone would agree. Yeah, according to a few magazine reviews its a TINY bit slower in a straight line than the last mustang...but that can be fixed with a few minor mods. It's 1.5 seconds FASTER than the boss 302 around a track...thats an insane accomplishment in my opinion. Where do most of us spend the majority of our time with our mustangs? On actual roads...not drag strips. This car is worlds better in that application than the previous model. And if you want a drag car, mod it. With the boss components in the new 5.0 and the improved transmission, I'd bet money that this car is going to show better results after modding than the last.

But anyway. I might be among few, but I have no problem with the added weight, I understand where it came from and why and it doesn't bother me.

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 R/Red 5.0 View Post
Yup, the new GT's extra 15 hp went right down to the tubes having to make up for it's additional 150-200 lb weight increase ...

Where do you get 150-200 lbs?
I found the curb weight of a 2012 GT is 3720, and for the 2015 GT 3729.
But I have yet to see pictures of a 2015 on a scale so until then it's all speculation.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1120 View Post
Where do you get 150-200 lbs?
I found the curb weight of a 2012 GT is 3720, and for the 2015 GT 3729.
But I have yet to see pictures of a 2015 on a scale so until then it's all speculation.
according to Ford, the 2015 mustang "estimated curb weight" is 3,705lb.(for MT coupe)

The 2014 was 3,618lb...this would make a difference of 87lb..not 200,,I don't know where those numbers come from

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastefster View Post
according to Ford, the 2015 mustang "estimated curb weight" is 3,705lb.(for MT coupe)

The 2014 was 3,618lb...this would make a difference of 87lb..not 200,,I don't know where those numbers come from
It is always hard to know when you have an "apples to apples" comparison. The data I found, so far, was from Car & Driver. They tested a 2013 Mustang GT with this configuration...
"Protracted negotiations instead produced this 2013 “Deep Impact Blue” GT with the $2495 Track package, which includes P*irelli P Zero summer tires, upgraded brakes, and a 3.73:1 differential of the limited-slip variety. By the time we’d spec’d our long-term pony, the GT’s 5.0-liter V-8 had gained eight horsepower, making for a total of 420, a number sure to amuse recreational weed enthusiasts"
2013 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Test Wrap-Up – Review – Car and Driver

They recently tested a 2015 Mustang Gt
2015 Ford Mustang GT Instrumented Test – Review – Car and Driver

The 2013 weighed 3650 LBS. The 2015 weighed 3810.

Its hard to know if the configurations are "close to identical," but certainly "comparable." At least C&D's numbers came from their scale and presumably doesn't have any "bias."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gtdata2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	382281  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone is so mad about the weight. This mustang is an over-all better car. I think most everyone would agree. Yeah, according to a few magazine reviews its a TINY bit slower in a straight line than the last mustang...but that can be fixed with a few minor mods. It's 1.5 seconds FASTER than the boss 302 around a track...thats an insane accomplishment in my opinion. Where do most of us spend the majority of our time with our mustangs? On actual roads...not drag strips. This car is worlds better in that application than the previous model. And if you want a drag car, mod it. With the boss components in the new 5.0 and the improved transmission, I'd bet money that this car is going to show better results after modding than the last.

But anyway. I might be among few, but I have no problem with the added weight, I understand where it came from and why and it doesn't bother me.

I agree, 2015 is a better car, But I just think a lot of us would have liked it a bit more faster, Maybe it will be . 0-60 4.2-4.3 would be nice and 12.3-12.4 1/4 would be fine as well, just my thoughts. Without Mods

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.

Last edited by Jimmy Toronto; 09-23-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: .
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Toronto View Post
I agree, 2015 is a better car, But I just think a lot of us would have liked it a bit more faster, Maybe it will be . 0-60 4.2-4.3 would be nice and 12.3-12.4 1/4 would be fine as well, just my thoughts. Without Mods
Trust me, I agree! I'd always like it to be faster I just don't get why people are saying ford "screwed up" and stuff. I think they made a great car. Success in my book (so far)

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

I have not seen any official track results yet, I thought those were a couple weeks out when the car mags can get their cars under their own controlled testing? If true about beating the Boss on the same day and track then this is great news.

The weight gain disappointment could have easily been offset with another 30hp, 50hp and this would have been a must have car or if it had shed a couple hundred pounds.

Bottom line for the Mustang is it needs to beat the 1le around the track and in a straight line end of story. line em up.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
Apprentice

Quote:
Trust me, I agree! I'd always like it to be faster I just don't get why people are saying ford "screwed up" and stuff. I think they made a great car. Success in my book (so far)
Being 6'4 i don't want them to get smaller, so I wonder how they could lose 200lbs while staying the same size? More aluminum?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwal07 View Post
Being 6'4 i don't want them to get smaller, so I wonder how they could lose 200lbs while staying the same size? More aluminum?
The Mustang could shrink and still maintain decent interior space. It's only 3 inches shorter than a new Accord Sedan! The answer is better/smarter packaging. Aluminum and high strength steel in addition to smaller exterior demensions are the answer.

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konabluev6 View Post
For me the problem is also the size. I was really hoping it was going to be a smaller car, like the new edge or even the size of the original 64 1/2.

When I drive my 2 mustangs one right after the other its just amazing how nimble and agile the new edge is compared to the hulking S197

The 2015 is as large as the 2014s...

I still like a lot though

+1 I do like the New Edge size. The problem is, that chassis is from 1979. I don't think it's possible to ever get down to those standards again with the current regulations.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
PONY Member

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone is so mad about the weight. This mustang is an over-all better car. I think most everyone would agree. Yeah, according to a few magazine reviews its a TINY bit slower in a straight line than the last mustang..s.but that can be fixed with a few minor mods.
I think it's only normal that when the latest and greatest performance car comes out, you expect it to leave the old model in the dust. By and large, this is essentially what happened with successive generations of mustang. The problem with the "few minor mods" approach is that you can do the same thing with the previous gen car as well. Which, frankly, I think is awesome. I'm not enamored with the new mustang and it's good to know that at least acceleration wise, it's going to be drivers race. But I can see people who plan on dumping a bunch of cash on the new car to be underwhelmed.

Quote:
It's 1.5 econds FASTER than the boss 302 around a track...
People at ford were also saying that the new mustang would be lighter and smaller than the previous car. Didn't happen. So yeah, I don't really put a lot of credence into manufacturer claims. I'll wait to see the results of more independent organizations before I agree with you.

But I think the one thing that everyone can agree on is the greater level of refinement with the new car. Ride smoothness isn't very sexy, but it is very important for bringing the car up to modern standards and frankly, ensures that the car stays relevant. What I find funny is that talking to mustang guys in my area, many felt that the previous car rode wonderfully. WTF? My 2012 GT rides horribly compared to pretty much any modern car > $25k. So I think in some ways, the reaction from mustang guys could be one based on a feeling of abandonment from Ford. The car is more liveable and modern, but to many people who didn't feel there was a problem with the old car, the new car didn't really take a step forward in the all important area of performance numbers.

I would like to think, however, that Ford A) will sell many more '15+ cars than they sold '11-'14 cars and B) they will offer a performance-centric version in the future that will blow people away---and really show what the new platform is capable of, regardless of weight. Look at what the current camaro is capable of with the right parts and calibration. It's a heavy pig that can really dance in z/28 guise. I don't see why the s550 should be any different.

Weight, IMO, isn't really a huge problem at the moment. It's that Ford is likely saving a few performance tricks for the upcoming performance versions of the S550.
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
I think it's only normal that when the latest and greatest performance car comes out, you expect it to leave the old model in the dust. By and large, this is essentially what happened with successive generations of mustang. The problem with the "few minor mods" approach is that you can do the same thing with the previous gen car as well. Which, frankly, I think is awesome. I'm not enamored with the new mustang and it's good to know that at least acceleration wise, it's going to be drivers race. But I can see people who plan on dumping a bunch of cash on the new car to be underwhelmed.

People at ford were also saying that the new mustang would be lighter and smaller than the previous car. Didn't happen. So yeah, I don't really put a lot of credence into manufacturer claims. I'll wait to see the results of more independent organizations before I agree with you.

But I think the one thing that everyone can agree on is the greater level of refinement with the new car. Ride smoothness isn't very sexy, but it is very important for bringing the car up to modern standards and frankly, ensures that the car stays relevant. What I find funny is that talking to mustang guys in my area, many felt that the previous car rode wonderfully. WTF? My 2012 GT rides horribly compared to pretty much any modern car > $25k. So I think in some ways, the reaction from mustang guys could be one based on a feeling of abandonment from Ford. The car is more liveable and modern, but to many people who didn't feel there was a problem with the old car, the new car didn't really take a step forward in the all important area of performance numbers.

I would like to think, however, that Ford A) will sell many more '15+ cars than they sold '11-'14 cars and B) they will offer a performance-centric version in the future that will blow people away---and really show what the new platform is capable of, regardless of weight. Look at what the current camaro is capable of with the right parts and calibration. It's a heavy pig that can really dance in z/28 guise. I don't see why the s550 should be any different.

Weight, IMO, isn't really a huge problem at the moment. It's that Ford is likely saving a few performance tricks for the upcoming performance versions of the S550.
Well Put My Friend.....Well Put!

Sean.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post

To be fair, when the 05's came out vs the 04's, there wasn't a huge performance gap either in those years. Maybe a few tenth's of a second or so. I think you're right though, with the Camaro and Challenger out now, people were expecting this to blow the doors off everything, especially as how well the 11+ GT did.

I think the biggest disappointment is Mustang fans overhyping the performance numbers itself. I went into it knowing the performance would be the same and I was right, so I don't feel too let down in that aspect very much.

But no, the main thing I'm glad they did was finally bring the car into the 21st century. Comfort wise, the 2010+ was starting to finally get there, but before that, the car suffered from an awful interior and so so performance. The fact that the car ITSELF is much improved on makes it more of a win than a lose in my book. Though, I still don't have an interest in getting an S550 for a few years down the road. 2015 is going to be the guinea pig year.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page