Wieght gain a big negative? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastefster View Post
Not to interrupt the sales debate, but a real owner of a 15 weighed his stock GT (fully optioned) recently and it weighed out to be 3,780lb WITH 3/4 tank of gas. This lines up pretty well with Ford's claims of 3,705lb curb weight....which also means it is only a 80-90lb increase over the previous model...not 200 and other ridiculous numbers people have been throwing around.

Heres the link so you can check out the proof yourself. First 2015 Mustang GT (Fully Optioned) Weighed by Owner | 2015+ Mustang (s550) Forum News Blog Mustang6G | The Ultimate 6th Generation Mustang (S550) Enthusiast Site

I really don't thing an 80-90lb increase (given the changes) is anything to complain about. But thats my opinion
Interesting number. MotorTrend measured a 2015 GT curb weight of 3814 LBs. It will be interesting to see other test measurements. When MotorTrend tested the 2013 GT Premium they measured its curb weight as 3622 LBs. That's nearly a 200 LB difference.

2013 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Test Wrap-Up Review Car and Driver

2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium First Test - Motor Trend

2015 Ford Mustang GT First Test - Motor Trend

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13MT.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	386281   Click image for larger version

Name:	15MT.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	386289  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

Last edited by Radioguy; 10-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Not to interrupt the sales debate, but a real owner of a 15 weighed his stock GT (fully optioned) recently and it weighed out to be 3,780lb WITH 3/4 tank of gas. This lines up pretty well with Ford's claims of 3,705lb curb weight....which also means it is only a 80-90lb increase over the previous model...not 200 and other ridiculous numbers people have been throwing around.

Heres the link so you can check out the proof yourself. First 2015 Mustang GT (Fully Optioned) Weighed by Owner | 2015+ Mustang (s550) Forum News Blog Mustang6G | The Ultimate 6th Generation Mustang (S550) Enthusiast Site

I really don't thing an 80-90lb increase (given the changes) is anything to complain about. But thats my opinion
Especially since I have about half that amount of weight in cleaning supplies (etc) in my trunk already

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Interesting number. MotorTrend measured a 2015 GT curb weight of 3814 LBs. It will be interesting to see other test measurements. When MotorTrend tested the 2013 GT Premium they measured its curb weight as 3622 LBs.
Do you know the specs of the car they tested? Options? Was it a MT or auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Especially since I have about half that amount of weight in cleaning supplies (etc) in my trunk already
Motor trend's car could have had a full tank and some of slorydn1's cleaning supplies in the trunk

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14

GT Member

Quote:
Interesting number. MotorTrend measured a 2015 GT curb weight of 3814 LBs. It will be interesting to see other test measurements. When MotorTrend tested the 2013 GT Premium they measured its curb weight as 3622 LBs. That's nearly a 200 LB difference.

2013 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Test Wrap-Up – Review – Car and Driver

2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium First Test - Motor Trend

Quote:
Do you know the specs of the car they tested? Options? Was it a MT or auto?

They were both Premium Coupe MTs

Motor trend's car could have had a full tank and some of slorydn1's cleaning supplies in the trunk
........They were both Premium Coupe MTs. Also, the 2013 was faster in the 0 - 60, quarter mile and the same in stopping distance

Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
Apprentice

Quote:
........They were both Premium Coupe MTs. Also, the 2013 was faster in the 0 - 60, quarter mile and the same in stopping distance
The 2014 is faster 0-60 and in the quarter mile by 0.1 seconds each, which no one is actually going to feel. But the 2015 finished the quarter mile at a faster speed which means there is more than likely some time to lose there.

So to summarize: The car handles significantly better, making it a much better track car, while sacrificing next to nothing at the drag strip. I'm not seeing anything in the way of negatives there.

On a sidenote, the actual owner reviews that I've seen so far have all been overwhelmingly positive. Sounds like anyone with a Mustang will have a great car whether it's a 2015 or an older model.

Current: 2014 V6 Mustang Premium, Automatic Transmission, Oxford White, Safety & Security Package.

Previous: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS, bone-stock except for automatic transmission.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14MustangV6 View Post
The 2014 is faster 0-60 and in the quarter mile by 0.1 seconds each, which no one is actually going to feel. But the 2015 finished the quarter mile at a faster speed which means there is more than likely some time to lose there.

So to summarize: The car handles significantly better, making it a much better track car, while sacrificing next to nothing at the drag strip. I'm not seeing anything in the way of negatives there.

On a sidenote, the actual owner reviews that I've seen so far have all been overwhelmingly positive. Sounds like anyone with a Mustang will have a great car whether it's a 2015 or an older model.
Interesting new MotorTrend comparison. 2015 Mustang GT and 2015 Challenger Scat-Pack. Maybe the most interesting is the "price as tested" number Mustang $46,380 Challenger $ 39,890. Challenger also has the 8 speed auto in that price.

Looks like Challenger wins on the street and the drag-strip, but Mustang wins at the road course track. Not surprising since the Challenger is 485 HP and 475 Ft. Lbs torque. None of that matters going around sharp turns

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ck_first_test/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...gt_first_test/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	386529  
Attached Files
File Type: docx 15cmp.docx (150.4 KB, 60 views)

Apprentice

Quote:
Interesting new MotorTrend comparison. 2015 Mustang GT and 2015 Challenger Scat-Pack. Maybe the most interesting is the "price as tested" number Mustang $46,380 Challenger $ 39,890. Challenger also has the 8 speed auto in that price.

Looks like Challenger wins on the street and the drag-strip, but Mustang wins at the road course track. Not surprising since the Challenger is 485 HP and 475 Ft. Lbs torque. None of that matters going around sharp turns

2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack First Test - Motor Trend

I don't see anything there that says the Challenger wins on the street. Beyond that, the price isn't that interesting considering the tested Mustang is loaded and the Scat-Pack has no added options (unlike the Mustang, I believe the manual is actually an added-cost option on the Challenger). The base Mustang GT price is more than $5,000 less than the Scat-Pack.

I will admit that Ford is slipping behind with respect to transmissions with more gears, especially since their new transmissions seem to be a couple of years away still.

Current: 2014 V6 Mustang Premium, Automatic Transmission, Oxford White, Safety & Security Package.

Previous: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS, bone-stock except for automatic transmission.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14MustangV6 View Post
I don't see anything there that says the Challenger wins on the street. Beyond that, the price isn't that interesting considering the tested Mustang is loaded and the Scat-Pack has no added options (unlike the Mustang, I believe the manual is actually an added-cost option on the Challenger). The base Mustang GT price is more than $5,000 less than the Scat-Pack.

I will admit that Ford is slipping behind with respect to transmissions with more gears, especially since their new transmissions seem to be a couple of years away still.
Looking at the 0 - 60 time as a "predictor" for "street light to street light" performance
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	81
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	386545  
Attached Files
File Type: docx 15cmp.docx (150.5 KB, 39 views)

Apprentice

Quote:
Looking at the 0 - 60 time as a "predictor" for "street light to street light" performance
Just have a better reaction time when that light turns green and you'll never even notice the 0.2 second time difference.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
I have not seen any official track results yet, I thought those were a couple weeks out when the car mags can get their cars under their own controlled testing? If true about beating the Boss on the same day and track then this is great news.

The weight gain disappointment could have easily been offset with another 30hp, 50hp and this would have been a must have car or if it had shed a couple hundred pounds.

Bottom line for the Mustang is it needs to beat the 1le around the track and in a straight line end of story. line em up.
This is a very interesting test of the 2015 GT Performance Pack car and the 2015 Camaro SS1LE. The Mustang GT looks good, but certainly not best in this rather rigorous comparison. Pobst did a similar test - in 2011 - between the 2011 GT and the BMW M3. He is a very good driver and gets everything there is out of the cars. A "lesser driver" might find the 2015 Camaro easier to push then the 2015 GT.
Car Video Clips & Auto Show & Road Test Videos - Motor Trend Magazine

BOSS Member

Garage
For comparisons sake, here are times from other Motor Trend tests with Pobst at the wheel:

2013 Camaro 1LE 1:22.70
2014 Camaro 1LE 1:22.81
2015 Mustang GT Perf Pack 1:24.32
2013 Mustang GT Track Pack 1:25.77
2011 BMW M3 1:27.67
2011 Mustang GT Brembo 1:27.76
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 1:27.85

1LE is a great performing car. GM was wise to rob parts from the ZL1 parts bin. In many other track tests it has consistently been shown to be quicker than the Boss 302 too.

Last edited by Blazin72; 10-16-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Corrected Ecoboost time.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexArmageddon View Post
I for one have never Viewed the mustang as a Muscle/Pony car... Those are nothing more than stupid Monikers... The mustang is and always has been a Sports Coupe car. Hence, like any other company that wants to succeed .. You have to be better than other sport coupes in the price range of your product. Lower tier cars have always had one focus.. Look what we can offer for cheap compared to high price brands such as Ferrari Etc.. The goal has never changed.. never will.
And yet, the world continues to compare the "three pony cars" - Mustang, Camaro and Challenger
Comparison: Camaro SS 1LE vs. Challenger R/T Scat Pack vs. Mustang GT
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	87
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	388714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ponies.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	388722  

GT Member

Turns out the weight gain is even more exaggerated than we thought.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...2015-4997.html

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post

this is what I have been arguing all along lol

2015 mustang GT, Performance Pack, Recaro seats, All-weather floor mats.

Ordered: 5/20/14
VIN received: 10/16/14
ETA: 12/11/14
Delivered: 12/10/14
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post

Quote:
this is what I have been arguing all along lol
Motor Trend sees many many cars every year. They have a long history of testing and reporting on cars - they make their living on their credibility with "car guys." I'm betting their comparisons are rather accurate. They also seem to be supported by the "straight line" performance numbers. The performance difference will likely be much greater if the Camaro - as predicted - comes in much "leaner" next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page