Visual Comparo: '69 Mach vs S197 vs S550 - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ford is enveloped in a dilemma every new car cycle for the Mustang. They know that fans are passionate about this car and prospective buyers are looking at purchasing one due to its iconic status. However, you cannot please everyone. I had to constantly read about how ugly the rear of my '10 GT was on all the forums. The bottom line is most of us will know just how well we like or dislike the new car when we walk around one and take it out on the road. That's how I fell in love with my '10 bad azz and all!

The first step is to read some members road tests and go from there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I think people's biggest problem too (at least Mustang fans anyway) is that we were expecting a MUCH faster car than the current gen...

Fords goal for this car wasn't to make it faster on the strip. Their goal was to make it more luxurious and better handling and ride comfort. And they accomplished that. A 5.0 + great handling/interior = a win.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
I haven't posted much lately, but here are my thoughts. I've owned eight Mustangs over the past 25 years or so. When Ford went to the Aero look in 1987, Mustang owners were beside themselves. Then the performance at the time overtook the look and things were good again. When that platform was dumped for the next generation Mustang the thought was that these cars did not look like Mustsngs. The Retro look in 2005 was not a big hit with some either.

I owned a 1973 Challenger also. The new ones are a faint resemblance to the originals. The Hell Cat might be a good car (maybe) but it cost more than my GT 500 and slower except the quarter mile.

The Corvete guys aren't exactly excited with the look of the new Vette either. The rear does not look like the previous Corvettes with the new light configuration. The Ferrari lights that GM used on the Corvettes and The 70-73 Camaros are gone.

The bottom line is that all manufacturers have changed things. Some like it, and some don't. You can't argue with the performance and safety on most of the new cars along with exceptional fuel mileage on high horsepower cars. What's not to like?

The question to ask yourself is this: is it important to have a pretty car, a great performance car or both. Three different types of cars with different price tags, as well as different targeted buyers.

Pete
I know you are saying what you believe, but the sales numbers really don't tell that story since the Camaro and Charger were reintroduced. Camaro and Challenger have gone from 0% of the "Pony Car" market in 2007 to 65% in 2013. In that time the Mustang sales have dropped significantly. I have had three mustangs recently, but I think I will be in a 2015 Challenger in a few months (It actually looks a lot like the 1971 Challenger). I want a car that looks great, has great performance, a top notch interior, great electronics and at a fair price. The Camaro, Challenger and Mustang compete for buyers, like me, in the Pony Car market - among other groups. I hope the Mustang sells well - making more competition in the Pony Car market, but on looks - interior - performance and relative price the other two candidates have really passed up the 2015 Mustang....from my perspective

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I know you are saying what you believe, but the sales numbers really don't tell that story since the Camaro and Charger were reintroduced. Camaro and Challenger have gone from 0% of the "Pony Car" market in 2007 to 65% in 2013. In that time the Mustang sales have dropped significantly. I have had three mustangs recently, but I think I will be in a 2015 Challenger in a few months (It actually looks a lot like the 1971 Challenger). I want a car that looks great, has great performance, a top notch interior, great electronics and at a fair price. The Camaro, Challenger and Mustang compete for buyers, like me, in the Pony Car market - among other groups. I hope the Mustang sells well - making more competition in the Pony Car market, but on looks - interior - performance and relative price the other two candidates have really passed up the 2015 Mustang....from my perspective
I wasn't referring to sales. I was referring to the fact that humans don't like change, even when it is for the better. Also keep in mind, as long as you brought it up, that the Camaro and Challenger were not choices a few years ago. They now do cut into the sales of Mustangs. People do have a choice, but don't dismiss the fact, that whether you like the way the new Mustang looks or not, that it is a great car. The competition is back. It can only make all of these cars even better.

And the trash talk about the Hellcat is just that. How many are going out and buying one? There aren't many GT500s out there. How many of those Hellcats will be out there with a $65,000+ Price tag? I worked my butt off for mine. Just sayin' ... The z/28 is a mythical car. Who owns one? $75,000. So judgement is out before the new Mustang hits the streets.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.

Last edited by Pete Grimaldi; 09-27-2014 at 11:28 AM.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Long hood, short rear deck and high seating position are it? If you like feeling like you are riding in a pickup truck then be my guest. I've never considered or even desired a high seating position in any car that I've driven ...
If you don't like those 3 criteria then perhaps you shouldn't be driving Mustangs, because that's exactly what it's been. The new Stang officially lost 1" of headroom, and extra headroom is what I like and extra headroom is what I want.

I've shied away from Camaros exactly because I do not like the sit low/slung back seating position, and Ford accommodated with the Mustang.

Quote:
Actually, I think most people that complain don't respond to my questions is because they don't really have an answer.
Mine was short, curt, accurate, and historically correct.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by slorydn1; 09-26-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Deleted backhanded personal attack//warning issued
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 R/Red 5.0 View Post
If you don't like those 3 criteria then perhaps you shouldn't be driving Mustangs, because that's exactly what it's been. The new Stang officially lost 1" of headroom, and extra headroom is what I like and extra headroom is what I want.
I've shied away from Camaros exactly because I do not like the sit low/slung back seating position, and Ford accommodated with the Mustang.
What you're saying is that it's your opinion against mine? Which is the same thing that's gone round and round since this thread has started.

So... Should the Mustang look like what I think it should look like or should it look like what you think it should look like?

In fact, it seems to me that our only disagreement was in seating position. And I still think it sounds like you should be driving a truck because I'm not sure how somebody who wants a high seating position AND extra headroom could ever be happy in a car of just about any kind. Well, maybe a minivan...

Quote:

Mine was short, curt, accurate, and historically correct.
And vague. Which is part of my point. What a Mustang should look like is open to interpretation.

Last edited by slorydn1; 09-26-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: deleted part of the quoted post that drew a warning//deleted part of response that was no longer necessary
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Ok everyone, just a reminder of the sticky at the top of this subforum:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post5520122

Please read it again for a refresher.............

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
What you're saying is that it's your opinion against mine? Which is the same thing that's gone round and round since this thread has started.
Ok, we've attracted the attention of the Mods so we have to tippy-toe on this one ...

Opinions will go around and around forever on things, that's human nature. Just look at all the people who are still debating over which muscle car from the 60's was the best.

Quote:
So... Should the Mustang look like what I think it should look like or should it look like what you think it should look like?
Neither, obviously. It will look like what Ford wants it to look like. We just get to comment on it.

Quote:
In fact, it seems to me that our only disagreement was in seating position. And I still think it sounds like you should be driving a truck because I'm not sure how somebody who wants a high seating position AND extra headroom could ever be happy in a car of just about any kind. Well, maybe a minivan...
I still find your comments comparing the historically upright seating position of Stangs to that of driving a truck completely and totally unrelated.

Quote:
What a Mustang should look like is open to interpretation.
With 36 years experience driving/racing Stangs, I gave what I thought was not just your "average Joe's interpretation". And there you go ...

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME
  • If someone likes/is buying a new Stang, fine. Stay safe, it's still better than a Ford guy jumping ship and driving a Camaro.
  • With the release of the S550, I'll be keeping my '13 ... solid rear axle and all
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Opinions will go around and around forever on things, that's human nature. Just look at all the people who are still debating over which muscle car from the 60's was the best.
Agreed.

Quote:
Neither, obviously. It will look like what Ford wants it to look like. We just get to comment on it.
Agreed.

Quote:
I still find your comments comparing the historically upright seating position of Stangs to that of driving a truck completely and totally unrelated.
I thought they were amusing. Don't them it too seriously, it's all in fun.

Quote:
BOTTOM LINE FOR ME
  • If someone likes/is buying a new Stang, fine. Stay safe, it's still better than a Ford guy jumping ship and driving a Camaro.
  • With the release of the S550, I'll be keeping my '13 ... solid rear axle and all
I've typically been a GM person and have owned a number of GM trucks and own one now but I've never cared for the current Camaro. I don't particularly care for the styling of the new Corvette either, though I'd probably still buy one if I had the means and the desire. I think the styling on many GM vehicles has been a bit goofy over the last 6-7 years. I love where Ford wet with the Boss 302 and the Raptor and I'm very much looking forward to the GT 350, if that is in fact what the next SVT model will be.

Even though I do like the 2015 Mustang, I'm perfectly content 2011. It's paid for and I hate car payments.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I thought they were amusing. Don't them it too seriously, it's all in fun.
NOTE: it's still me, "2013 R/Red 5.0", a mod deactivated my newer account and I'm still waiting for them/him/her/God Almighty to change these older tags out

Well, we might not take these posts that seriously, but I was censured regarding my respectful (but decidedly to the point) responses. The threat of bans also reared it's head.

As a recently retired Professional Firefighter, I was trained to behave in a distinctly firm manor and with a manly disposition (excessive tip-toeing around in that career could have gotten either me or a victim/patient killed).

So if I get banned (the mod and I remain in disagreement), just wanted to let you know ahead of time I could not reply.

Quote:
Even though I do like the 2015 Mustang, I'm perfectly content 2011. It's paid for and I hate car payments.
My 13 GT is everything I wanted in a 5.0 Mustang, so my car will remain as well. Also, I purchased a new red '93 5.0 LX shortly after getting getting hired in the FD, and now 20 years later I bought a red 5.0 just before I retired.

Perfect.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
NOTE: it's still me, "2013 R/Red 5.0", a mod deactivated my newer account and I'm still waiting for them/him/her/God Almighty to change these older tags out

Well, we might not take these posts that seriously, but I was censured regarding my respectful (but decidedly to the point) responses. The threat of bans also reared it's head.

As a recently retired Professional Firefighter, I was trained to behave in a distinctly firm manor and with a manly disposition (excessive tip-toeing around in that career could have gotten either me or a victim/patient killed).

So if I get banned (the mod and I remain in disagreement), just wanted to let you know ahead of time I could not reply.

My 13 GT is everything I wanted in a 5.0 Mustang, so my car will remain as well. Also, I purchased a new red '93 5.0 LX shortly after getting getting hired in the FD, and now 20 years later I bought a red 5.0 just before I retired.

Perfect.
Ok you want to take this public we can do this. Calling someone immature because they disagree with you is not, and I repeat, NOT respectful.

I too am a former fire fighter/EMT and that doesn't give me public license to act like a jerk, just saying... This is a public internet forum, not a fire scene.

Kenv is a former fire fighter, do you see him acting like a jerk? Californiacajun is a fire fighter, does he act like a jerk in public? This forum is chock full of current and former Fire Fighters, EMT's, LEO's and Dispatchers and I don't see the majority of them acting out under the guise of "I was trained to be a jerk". So cut it out.

You got a warning for insulting someone else. A warning, as in, no points... Several around here have gotten points for far less than what you did. Get over it already.

Your second account got banned because it should not exist at all. The rule for this is probably the most concise and easy to read rule on this entire site:

Quote:
Usernames/Accounts

Only one (1) username/Account is allowed per member. Do not create more than one account. They will be deleted when found. If you find that you do not like your username, contact an administrator & ask for it to be changed. If the name you want is not already in use, they will gladly change it for you.
I don't know about you, but I see no ambiguity there??

And its not like I went out of my way to look for it. I wouldn't have known anything about it until you told me you had it and what your previous username was. Read the rule above and tell me just exactly what am I supposed to do with it????

Yeah I thought so.

There was no threat of any bans for what you said, if you like I can ask for and possibly receive permission to make our PM's back and forth public too. In fact there was no threats about any bans, period.

The ban had only to do with the the second illegal account and not with what you said in this thread or in any of your PM's for that matter.

To top it all off I have bent over backwards to try to fix what YOU messed up by breaking the rule by attempting to get any posts you made with your second illegal account merged in with the first I just don't have the horsepower to do it myself and the admins are having some sort of problem with their PM's as soon as they see them I think I can get it accomplished, still (even though I don't have to).

So in closing, there is no need to tip-toe around anything. Disagree with each other, including me, at will. Just don't go into the realm of attacking the person you are disagreeing with and you have nothing to worry about.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post

I owned a 1973 Challenger also. The new ones are a faint resemblance to the originals. The Hell Cat might be a good car (maybe) but it cost more than my GT 500 and slower except the quarter mile.
I think the new Challenger looks a lot like the 1971 Challenger. I wish the S550 looked that much like "a Mustang"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	384866  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Apprentice

PONY Member

Those pics are awesome. What color is the 2015? I like the dark green hues.

IŽd say in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Mustangs have changed so much in all these years that the "it doesnŽt look like a Mustang" is really subjective. The change from a 65 to a 71 was very drastic. then again from 73 to 74, yet the 74 had a lot of hues from the 65. Then the 79 compared to the Mustang II was completely different... the 94 from the aero fox...

Yet all of them are Mustangs.... they all share some basic proportions and the driving position and the way they drive...

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
PONY Member

Some people want the Mustang to just look retro and will be stuck in that loop.

Sadly, the retro thing is outdated and old now...been around for 10 years.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page