Visual Comparo: '69 Mach vs S197 vs S550 - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014 Thread Starter
Banned
 
2012 IngotSilver 5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 735
 
Visual Comparo: '69 Mach vs S197 vs S550

I dunno, the S197 seems more "Mustang" when compared to the '69 (even w/o being a fastback), and for me ... that is a good thing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitl.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	381674  
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
What exactly is a Mustang supposed to look like?

I like both of them and if I really felt like arguing about it I would say that from the side the 2015 "looks more like a Mustang" based on the roof line sloping to the trunk and the flatter shape of the hood. But in reality, I don't think either one looks more or less "like a Mustang" than the other.

I think a lot of these posts are just ways for posters to justify to themselves or others why they like one car or the other. I like both of them and don't really care which looks more or less "like a Mustang". There were 30 years in between that looked a lot different than anything before and after.

Blazin72 is offline  
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
PONY Member
 
blkandgud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Woodbridge
Posts: 813
 
Idk, I thought the 94-04 generation looked like a Mustang too.

Too many people are hungup on the retro crap. Considering the fact that the 2015 isn't retro, they still incorporated many Mustang cues and "retro" ish styling in there. People find anything to complain about.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
blkandgud is offline  
 
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
PONY Member
 
JediDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 618
 
Garage
Too me, doesn't matter what if looks like from the side or the rear.....if the front looks like a Ford Fusion (which it does), then I'm out of the market and heading over to the Dodge side to pick up a Challenger "Hemi."

No FusionStang for me!

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
JediDave is offline  
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
To add to what I said earlier, the tail lights of the 2015 actually more closely resemble the lights on the 69 than the tail lights on anything before it. The lower trunk and rear bumper heights resemble the 69 more than the S197 does. The body lines on the 2015 are somewhat straighter than the lines on the S197, which also happen to be closer to the 69. The shoulder on the 2015 is more pronounced than the S197, which is like the 69.

So you could say that the 2015 actually incorporates more "Mustang" design cues than the S197, aside from the front end.

But again, I don't care because I like them both. I'm just tired of the "but it's not a Mustang" arguments. Or any twists on that...
Blazin72 is offline  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
Apprentice
 
akwal07's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: milpitas
Posts: 104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
To add to what I said earlier, the tail lights of the 2015 actually more closely resemble the lights on the 69 than the tail lights on anything before it. The lower trunk and rear bumper heights resemble the 69 more than the S197 does. The body lines on the 2015 are somewhat straighter than the lines on the S197, which also happen to be closer to the 69. The shoulder on the 2015 is more pronounced than the S197, which is like the 69.

So you could say that the 2015 actually incorporates more "Mustang" design cues than the S197, aside from the front end.

But again, I don't care because I like them both. I'm just tired of the "but it's not a Mustang" arguments. Or any twists on that...
the roofline, the grill, the headlights, the entire front of the car and i can go on all are closer to the s197
akwal07 is offline  
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
What part of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
aside from the front end
didn't make sense?


As for the roof line, look at the way it tapers down to the trunk. The 2015 much more closely matches the 69 than the S197 does.

Just looking at the roof lines of the different cars there are lots of differences. You could argue that the rear roof line a S197 looks more like a 1965-66 fastback. The S550 definitely resembles the 1969-70. Then the 1967-68 roof lines are slightly different too. Then there's the squashed roof of the 1971-73

The quarter windows on the S197 are just like the early fastbacks yet the windows on the S550 are more like the standard roof and later fastback cars.

So again, what is a Mustang supposed to look like?
Blazin72 is offline  
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
Apprentice
 
akwal07's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: milpitas
Posts: 104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
What part of didn't make sense?


As for the roof line, look at the way it tapers down to the trunk. The 2015 much more closely matches the 69 than the S197 does.

Just looking at the roof lines of the different cars there are lots of differences. You could argue that the rear roof line a S197 looks more like a 1965-66 fastback. The S550 definitely resembles the 1969-70. Then the 1967-68 roof lines are slightly different too. Then there's the squashed roof of the 1971-73

The quarter windows on the S197 are just like the early fastbacks yet the windows on the S550 are more like the standard roof and later fastback cars.

So again, what is a Mustang supposed to look like?
the quarter windows are straight from the accord coupe...from the front it looks like a fusion with an austin roof line....the front from a side looks like some sort of bmw coupe concept car..
akwal07 is offline  
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwal07 View Post
the quarter windows are straight from the accord coupe...from the front it looks like a fusion with an austin roof line....the front from a side looks like some sort of bmw coupe concept car..
I don't care. How many times do people have to repeat the same few things about what they don't like the car. Some people don't like it, some do. I get that. But what I see in many cases is fairweather fanboys repeating the same old, tired gripes for the sake of griping.

I've asked this question many times and only had one person (Gottahave14) actually give a direct and reasonable response: What exactly is a Mustang supposed to look like?
Blazin72 is offline  
PONY Member
 
scupking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Enfield
Posts: 777
 
I can say after seeing one in person yesterday and walking around it the s550 is fantastic looking. From the rear it looks very much like a 69-70 mustang. To me it looks much smaller in person then it does in pictures. If I had the money I would get one.

2007 Silver GT, manual
3.55 Gears, Shaftmaster 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Borla Stingers, Pacesetter ceramic Long Tube Headers, Pacesetter catted H pipe, Steeda UDPs, JLT CAI, MGW short throw shifter and Bama 93 Oct Street tune

2001 Laser Red GT, automatic (293RWHP, 310RWTQ) Gone but not forgotten.
scupking is offline  
PONY Member
 
konabluev6's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 727
 
IDK, to me it totally looks like a Mustang. There are many generations of Mustangs not just the 1st gen. They all have their differences yet they are all Mustangs.

The 2015 is so similar to the 2014 in proportions just in a modern looking package.

Even the Foxes, which are arguably the "less" similar to other generations, to me just look SO Mustang... its not only having a similar design, its the proportions of the whole car, the front end stance... I can´t explain it.

There´s not a Mustang I dislike in its 50 years. I even like Mustang IIs despite their terrible reputation.

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
konabluev6 is offline  
PONY Member
 
calspcl's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 502
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
Too me, doesn't matter what if looks like from the side or the rear.....if the front looks like a Ford Fusion (which it does), then I'm out of the market and heading over to the Dodge side to pick up a Challenger "Hemi."

No FusionStang for me!
It does not look like a Fusion, but looks way better than a fat Challenger

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
calspcl is offline  
PONY Member
 
mustangholt33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: plymouth
Posts: 255
 
Garage
Personally I think it looks great different but great and to me it looks like a Mustang. As a mater of fact last Monday I was doing some running around and spotted a black Mustang coming down the road and it took me a few seconds before I realized it was a 2015.
mustangholt33 is offline  
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014 Thread Starter
Banned
 
2012 IngotSilver 5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 735
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
I don't care. How many times do people have to repeat the same few things about what they don't like the car.
I live in America ...
The Mustang is made in America ...
My current 13 GT is the 9th Mustang I've owned ...

I will repeat what I do not like about the new Mustang as many times as I dang well please.

Thank You.

Quote:
I've asked this question many times and only had one person (Gottahave14) actually give a direct and reasonable response: What exactly is a Mustang supposed to look like?
I'm sure people didn't respond to your question because of how obvious the answer is to anyone who would be on a Mustang Forum.

But to help out, a Mustang possesses these design cues:
  • long hood
  • short rear deck
  • high seating position
'69 Mach - CHECK
S197 - CHECK

S550 - 2 out of 3
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline  
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
Long hood, short rear deck and high seating position are it? If you like feeling like you are riding in a pickup truck then be my guest. I've never considered or even desired a high seating position in any car that I've driven. I don't care what it is. As for the other two, then it sounds like the S550 meets your fairly simple criteria.

Actually, I think most people that complain don't respond to my questions is because they don't really have an answer. And that's why I challenge them with it. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and complain about something (anything, not just the new Mustang) but when confronted with a straightforward question they don't have an answer with any substance.

Quote:
I live in America ...
The Mustang is made in America ...
My current 13 GT is the 9th Mustang I've owned ...
Good for you. But I don't care about this either.

Blazin72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1