My biggest problem with the new Mustang... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

My biggest problem with the new Mustang...

My biggest issue with the newest Mustang is that, well, it's not the cheap, affordable pony car anymore that the everyday man can go out and buy. It's turned into the upper-middle class car that doesn't serve much of a purpose but to go fast.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new Mustang besides the weight. Everything else about it is a ball park winner. But I was looking at the as-tested prices...38K for a Ecoboost? Are you kidding me? Yet alone the GT version and special editions. The Mustang is no longer the car for the blue collared everyday worker, but has turned into an expensive car trying to compete with the European sports cars. Which is fine, but Ford, at least give us the option to buy a barebones, cheap, gutted V8 car ie the 5.0 LX of the Foxbody days.

I fear that the biggest reason this generation might not sell as well as the previous ones did is because of price. Besides the SRA-IRS conversion from the late S197's to the S550, I feel like there's really no incentive or value for me to switch over to the new platform yet. My car is just as fast, it seems, interior is not much of a huge downgrade vs the S550, and it's about 200 lbs lighter than the new models.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ford did a great job with the 15 and one day, I might have one. But, with how expensive these suckers are, I really don't see myself buying one or trading mine in for a LONG time.

What are you thoughts? Affordable? Too expensive?

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think the EcoBoost starts at $25k or $26k and the GT starts just over $30k (I think $32k?). Not a huge departure from the outgoing one. I suspect after the first year or so of sales, incentives will make them as close as makes no difference, especially if you account for inflation. The real struggle will be going to the dealer and deciding to order and wait for one without options because whatever on dealer lots will probably have a few bells and whistles.

As for the weight, I did not expect the car to lose more than a 100 lb. The reason being is the C7 Corvette. Although the chassis lost nearly 100 lb., due to the added safety and infotainment tech that todays market demands, the car gained weight overall. Chevrolet was smart about putting a number to the effort, saying that the chassis alone is that much lighter than the outgoing one.

I am disappointed due to the large weight gain but I suspect a base Mustang GT with just the performance options would be closer to 3,700 lb which, while still high, isn't that much higher than the last generation. I have no doubt that the new Mustang chassis (S550) is lighter than the outgoing one but with all the added tech, it was bound to disappoint. I think the Mustang's entry into Grand-Am (Tudor now) will be a good indication as I'm sure it will be lighter than the most recent S197 entry, the Boss 302R.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Nothing now days is cheap.....prices are rising in every market not just automotive.

One thing to rememebr about the price...it's market driven (mostly...)...Ford wouldn't charge what they charge for any car if people wouldn't buy it at that price. The new generation mustang will have no problem hitting it's sales goals becuase people will buy these cars at their given prices. Thank Capitolism for that one I, personally, wouldn't have it any other way...

A gutted down V8 will never be sold...Ford is in the business of making money...they chose what they make/sell because of one reason and one reason only...to make profit

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
My number one problem is how options are packaged. It isn't a Mustang or a Ford problem. It's an industry wide problem. If you want one item you have to get it as part of an option group that ends up adding $1000 or more to the price of the car.

I like "leather" seats but as far as I know you can only get it in the Mustang with the 401A package and that package now comes with a LOT of other stuff that used to be considered separate options in the S197.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
My number one problem is how options are packaged. It isn't a Mustang or a Ford problem. It's an industry wide problem. If you want one item you have to get it as part of an option group that ends up adding $1000 or more to the price of the car.

I like "leather" seats but as far as I know you can only get it in the Mustang with the 401A package and that package now comes with a LOT of other stuff that used to be considered separate options in the S197.
This x1000. All I want is the factory nav. But they force me into buying a premium model so I get the privilege of then being able to buy it.

Anyway, I actually think the Mustang is very affordable. Base M/T V8 costs $32,100 MSRP. You should be able to pick one up for $30,xxx. That is what the average new car consumers buy today costs, and this packs arguably the best performance value. If you wait a couple years I'm sure there will be incentives making it even cheaper.

Lets also not forget Mustangs depreciate like crazy, so a used one is always a deal. So I definitely don't see it as a upper middle class car by any means. Upper middle class is buying corvettes, GT500's etc.

My signature consists of a simple fact. Mustang is a muscle car. Have a nice day.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Couldn't have said it better.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
Apprentice

Keep in mind most reviews seem to test the most loaded car available. Any Mustang without a V8 can easily be had for under $30,000 (in both Canada and the US).

Not too many fully loaded cars (outside of compacts and smaller) are under $35,000 anymore, unfortunately.

Current: 2014 V6 Mustang Premium, Automatic Transmission, Oxford White, Safety & Security Package.

Previous: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS, bone-stock except for automatic transmission.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
Apprentice

It's interesting how condescending Europeans are toward the Mustang, even the Shelby GT500. BBC's Top Gear referred to the pricetag of the GT500 as "cheap". Shelby Mustang GT500 vs public transport part two (Series 19, episode 3) - BBC Top Gear They also talked about how poorly Mustangs handle and that American's aren't used to what Europeans think of as "speed". It will be interesting to see how the new "world" Mustang fares.
I have also noted before about the relative pricing of cars based on a percentage of income. Income in the Midwest is typically lower than that of either coast but the cost of living is lower as well so that evens out somewhat. Except in the case of car prices. From studies I've read, a person with an average salary of $100k on the east coast equates to a salary of roughly $75-$80k in the midwest. A $50k car is 50% of an east coasters salary but around 2/3 of a midwesterner's. It's much easier for a "middle class" worker to afford a $50k car on the coast that it is in the midwest.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueby View Post
It's interesting how condescending Europeans are toward the Mustang, even the Shelby GT500. BBC's Top Gear referred to the pricetag of the GT500 as "cheap". Shelby Mustang GT500 vs public transport part two (Series 19, episode 3) - BBC Top Gear They also talked about how poorly Mustangs handle and that American's aren't used to what Europeans think of as "speed". It will be interesting to see how the new "world" Mustang fares.
That's almost all for entertainment. Richard Hammond actually owns a 1968 Mustang and is a fan of a number of American cars but even he was making fun of American cars when they put his car and a 2008 GT500 on a dyno.
Apprentice

Quote:
That's almost all for entertainment. Richard Hammond actually owns a 1968 Mustang and is a fan of a number of American cars but even he was making fun of American cars when they put his car and a 2008 GT500 on a dyno.
True..buy there is still a grain of truth that the general consensus is that European cars are "better". I still don't get how they view 35k pounds (~$54k) as cheap and that there are much better performance buys for the $. Which ones?

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
Apprentice

Average price of a new car these days is just over $30k. So the Mustang is not far off the mark. You're looking at hyper inflated loaded test models for pricing. Frankly, not figuring incentives, the 15 isn't much more than the 14 on the sticker.

Why all the hate on the 15? Seems most threads in here are heaping hate on it before anyone has seen or driven it. Don't want it? Can't afford it? Don't buy it. Enjoy what you have.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The ones Ford are showing off are fully loaded and it appears most of the early dealer allotments are very well equipped models. Ford is looking to cash in early on the mustang which is a solid business move. You can still order a bare bones model for a decent price but most people want bells and whistles and there is a lot of profit there.

I see an industry average of about 10k markup from base model to very well equipped and the Mustang is right there with the pack.

Ford has a mustang for everybody, your blue collar variant is now a v6. Wait a year or two for better deals to become available but yes I do see your point when you look at well equipped sticker prices.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:

That makes sense.. and a good point. In order to get one thing, you have to end up paying 5000 grand for things you don't want. Which is insane.

And I'm not hating on the new car, I actually like the styling. I just have a feeling this will be like the 2010 model all over again and the next year or the year after, we'll see a ton of improvements.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
PONY Member

Quote:
My number one problem is how options are packaged. It isn't a Mustang or a Ford problem. It's an industry wide problem.
Ford is actually pretty good with this compared to a lot of companies.

The OP's complaint is straight up stupid. Sorry, but it's true. Why doesn't he/she go ford.com and build the mustang that he/she desires to see what it actually costs?

I "built" a '15 mustang GT that I would actually buy and it came out to $37k and change. But if I look at the "as-tested" price of the mustang GT that ford is handing out for evaluation, the sticker is closer to $48k!

The price of the new mustang isn't much different from the price of the old mustang in many cases. IMO, the new mustang still offers a great value if you option it out correctly. Of course, if you load it up with a bunch of convenience features so that it's more luxury than performance, well, like any manufacturer, you're going to pay for more for it. What people don't seem to realize is that a base GT (what I'm interested in) is still pretty well equipped.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
Ford is actually pretty good with this compared to a lot of companies.

The OP's complaint is straight up stupid. Sorry, but it's true. Why doesn't he/she go ford.com and build the mustang that he/she desires to see what it actually costs?

I "built" a '15 mustang GT that I would actually buy and it came out to $37k and change. But if I look at the "as-tested" price of the mustang GT that ford is handing out for evaluation, the sticker is closer to $48k!

The price of the new mustang isn't much different from the price of the old mustang in many cases. IMO, the new mustang still offers a great value if you option it out correctly. Of course, if you load it up with a bunch of convenience features so that it's more luxury than performance, well, like any manufacturer, you're going to pay for more for it. What people don't seem to realize is that a base GT (what I'm interested in) is still pretty well equipped.

Rollseyes...just gonna ignore the immature namecalling on an internet discussion forum.

Regardless, my original point was that this is still a pretty expensive car overall compared to years past.

And I just did it for the way the I wanted it on the site, and it came out to be $43K. I like my drives to be comfortable. And 43K isn't affordable to me. The packaging issue really sucks, but that's why I wait to buy used or til the end of the model year.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
-Roush Axle-backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page