Gotta be green now!..... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
This is a lot of misguided marketing ********. The EB has a lot of interest not because its 'green' but because its a novelty. A little turbo that growls and makes good power.

If Ford is trying to sell Mustangs to pajama boys, they are off target. The effeminate youths that are 'green' arent into cars and wont be buying Mustangs anyway.

The modern aluminum V8 isnt going anywhere.

By the way, guys in my age group that I know, lates 20's/early 30's dont give a **** about being 'green' and want power and a gurgling motor orchestrating a symphony of 8 cylinders.

All you old guys need to relax, our V8 Mustangs arent going anywhere. Remember the auto industry is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the US. They literally have billions to play with when it comes to lobbying and influence. Once the Obama regime is deposed, many of its anti-auto bureacrats will also be gotten rid of and thus over the next 10-20 years, alot of loopholes and ammendments will be made to EPA and CAFE regulations.
I am an old guy,68 to be exact,I remember I heard the same story way back in 1973,everyone said nothing would happen to our beloved performance cars,result was they NEUTERED them to almost zero performance so don"t count on the auto industry for support.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I am an old guy,68 to be exact,I remember I heard the same story way back in 1973,everyone said nothing would happen to our beloved performance cars,result was they NEUTERED them to almost zero performance so don"t count on the auto industry for support.
Yeah, I get it. But the result of that dark period was a resurgence of muscle cars in the 80's, 90's 2000's, leading into now, with 700 hp GT500s and Hellcats and plain jane 400 hp Mustangs and Camaros. You can go down to your Ford dealer today and plunk $30K down an buy a Mustang that will put 370 hp to the wheels and absolutely destroy any factory car you could've bought in the 60's in all aspects of driving.

My point is that technology has come so far in the last few years that we have 400 hp V8s that get nearly 30 mpg cruising on the highway. Who's to say, advance over the next 10 years wont usher in even better performance and efficiency without resorting to 4 and 6 cylinder forced induction engines?

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
My point is that technology has come so far in the last few years that we have 400 hp V8s that get nearly 30 mpg cruising on the highway. Who's to say, advance over the next 10 years wont usher in even better performance and efficiency without resorting to 4 and 6 cylinder forced induction engines?
Good thought here. As much as most of us hate the government getting in our nickers and mandating all these new EPA regs, I believe that it has spurred alot of innovation the results of which you mentioned above. I believe it'll go much further....

Now as for all these cute little turbo charged powerhouse 4-bangers, I often wonder how many of these will end up in the junk yard within the next 10 years. They're stressing the dickens out of those things. It's gotta result in a certain amount of burnout. Turbos DO get extremely hot and high rpm's DO wear excessively on an engine.

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)

PONY Member

Last year when I was looking at buying some type of performance car from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy, all I looked at were V8 models. A lot of it because of the power, but a big majority was because of the sound. You just can't get V8 sound out of a 4cyl or 6. I tried with the 2004 supercharged V6 Monte Carlo I traded in on the Mustang. While the Monte was pretty fast, it just didn't have the torque or the sound I wanted even with the Borla cat-back exhaust I had on it.

Each person has things they consider important on any car they buy. I'm just glad we have the choices we have.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Rookie

All this talk about the amount of cylinders available in the future is meaningless......
The fastest cars will have 0 cylinders and no exhaust noise.
Anyone driven a Tesla ?
416 HP and 443 foot lbs. torque.
And whatever sound you want...... on the speakers !

2014 GT Premium with GT Brake Performance Pkg, sound tube delete, JLT catch can, GT500 axlebacks, Procal tune
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

^^^^ We're talking V8 Mustangs here. I frankly couldn't care less about the Tesla

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
^^^^ We're talking V8 Mustangs here. I frankly couldn't care less about the Tesla
^^^^I thought we were talking about Mustangs and engines, you think an electric motor powered Mustang isn't a possibility in the future?

2014 GT Premium with GT Brake Performance Pkg, sound tube delete, JLT catch can, GT500 axlebacks, Procal tune
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoker View Post
^^^^I thought we were talking about Mustangs and engines, you think an electric motor powered Mustang isn't a possibility in the future?
No. Its not. The only thing keeping Tesla from being a massive failure is state and Federal subsidies to keep Tesla afloat. Economic realities will catch up and Tesla will sink like the Titanic.

There are tons of people and corporations that would love to cash in on an alternate fueled automobile. However, after billions of research and development, nothing has yet been developed that has equaled or surpassed the efficiency, reliability, and cost effectiveness of the internal combustion engine.

Tesla is the new prius for big city douches.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm with ya, Okie Hick!!

And yes, this is going into the s550 froum

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Isn't the V8 going to be murdered by the upcoming manufacturer gas mileage standards anyways?

2011 Ford Mustang GT - 6MT - Kona Blue Metallic - 401A - 3.73s
PONY Member

To be honest, even if the Mustang goes 4 cyl only, millennials aren't going to look at the Mustang.

They either look at public transporation/bicycles (hipsters) or BMW's/Audi's (yuppies) or just a car to get from A to B.

I hardly think a younger kid in my generation to look at a $25-30K Mustang 4cyl when they can buy a well optioned used 3 or 4 series for the same price.

Just being honest, but really think Ford will fail if they're targeting the Ecoboost to the younger generation.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkandgud View Post
To be honest, even if the Mustang goes 4 cyl only, millennials aren't going to look at the Mustang.

They either look at public transporation/bicycles (hipsters) or BMW's/Audi's (yuppies) or just a car to get from A to B.

I hardly think a younger kid in my generation to look at a $25-30K Mustang 4cyl when they can buy a well optioned used 3 or 4 series for the same price.

Just being honest, but really think Ford will fail if they're targeting the Ecoboost to the younger generation.
I agree with you,I live in S/W Florida and I go & show my Mustang at many car shows, and 99% of the folks are of the baby boomer era,I think Ford is going to get a huge wake up as far as there 2015 Mustang,also MOST of the baby boomers don:t like the new 2015 Mustang,or the Eco Boost 4 Banger idea.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
This may get moved to the 2015 forum but the intent of this post is to point out an issue that affects us all. Yesterday I listened to a promotional video about the 2015 Mustang. One of the participants in the video was the Mustang's chief designer. He stated that the reason they are heading in the direction of the 4-cyl engines is to appeal to the younger market who cares more about being "green" than the number of cylinders. That's OK I suppose, but I hope they won't ignore the market composed of we who treasure an icon of the roaring 8 cyl muscle car era. Pretty soon the Mustang could evolve into a 1.2 liter front wheel drive with steel wheels!
As a member of the younger generation, a Mustang is all about a V8 and manual transmission. I've got no interest in four or six cylinder Mustangs regardless of how they perform.

I bought a Mustang to have fun with it. If I wanted to be "green" , I'd drive a Prius.

That will never happen.

Jim T.
Present: 2018 Mustang GT (MT): Shadow Black

Past: 2007 Mustang GT Premium (MT), 2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT)

Last edited by green97probe; 10-08-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'm from the "younger generation" too and all I want is a V8, RWD, and a manual transmission. I'm fine with other people driving electric cars, but what worries me is that electric motors have full torque at ANY rpm. They can make a LOT of power. when they get batteries and charging them right and they become viable I'm sure there WILL be sports cars that are electric. How silly would you feel in a Mustang with V8 and plenty of power, lots of noise, but an electric can smoke your ass? I don't like that idea one bit.

2007 GT: JLT intake, SCT tuner, Eibach Pro-kit (springs + struts/shocks), Currie Adjustable LCA's with Johnny Joint, BMR relocation brackets, MAC axleback exhaust, Powerslot rotors, EBC redstuff pads, Steeda X5 balljoints
PONY Member

I don't worry about V8 pony cars or Corvettes going away anytime soon. The 4 available choices we have out of Detroit are all SOLIDLY tied to their V8 power options.

It's really hard to imagine a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette or Challenger that comes to market without a V8 option available.

If that day is coming in the future.......I'd sooner imagine it'd be for something entirely different. Electric motors are the more likely demise of all the current options.

Tesla's acceleration demonstration of their latest car is a real eye opener. 4 people along for the ride and the car still manages a 3.2sec 0-60.......if that kind of tech goes "main-stream" it's pretty hard to see a place for any of the current engine options.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page