Gotta be green now!..... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Unhappy Gotta be green now!.....

This may get moved to the 2015 forum but the intent of this post is to point out an issue that affects us all. Yesterday I listened to a promotional video about the 2015 Mustang. One of the participants in the video was the Mustang's chief designer. He stated that the reason they are heading in the direction of the 4-cyl engines is to appeal to the younger market who cares more about being "green" than the number of cylinders. That's OK I suppose, but I hope they won't ignore the market composed of we who treasure an icon of the roaring 8 cyl muscle car era. Pretty soon the Mustang could evolve into a 1.2 liter front wheel drive with steel wheels!

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I know. But I'll stick with my 5.0 V8. Sure, the 4 cylinders are putting out some good power, and the V6's are not far behind.
But anyone, who knows anything about performance cars, also knows that anything with a V8 in it, is destined to be the best.
Granted fuel mileage, is a consideration late. But to coin an old rant, wouldn't you rather have a V8.

We as North Americans , need to be alert to the fact, that we have always, and will always have the best cars.

6 cylinders and alas 4 cylinders, may be acceptable to some. But the overwhelming majority of us die hard , home built, performance car owners say BS. To put it lightly.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

Personally if the performance is still there I could care less how many cylinders the car car. If they come out with a turbo V6 that has the same numbers as the V8, if not more, id be happy. This isnt the 60s anymore. Efficiency is the name of the game now.

Idk about north america having the best cars. We definitely get the best bang for your buck cars though.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
This may get moved to the 2015 forum but the intent of this post is to point out an issue that affects us all. Yesterday I listened to a promotional video about the 2015 Mustang. One of the participants in the video was the Mustang's chief designer. He stated that the reason they are heading in the direction of the 4-cyl engines is to appeal to the younger market who cares more about being "green" than the number of cylinders. That's OK I suppose, but I hope they won't ignore the market composed of we who treasure an icon of the roaring 8 cyl muscle car era. Pretty soon the Mustang could evolve into a 1.2 liter front wheel drive with steel wheels!
That's a pretty big leap to conclusions there.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
That's a pretty big leap to conclusions there.
LOL...Yes I am pushing it out to an extreme. That's just me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196
If they come out with a turbo V6 that has the same numbers as the V8, if not more, id be happy. This isnt the 60s anymore.
Part of the Mustang experience is its sound. 4's and 6's don't measure up.

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196 View Post
Personally if the performance is still there I could care less how many cylinders the car car. If they come out with a turbo V6 that has the same numbers as the V8, if not more, id be happy. This isnt the 60s anymore. Efficiency is the name of the game now.

Idk about north america having the best cars. We definitely get the best bang for your buck cars though.
Your reply is exactly what OP was talking about. i think your profile says you are 28 years old. I grew up in to 70's, and to me, nothing sounds better than a V8!

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBillyPaul View Post
I grew up in to 70's, and to me, nothing sounds better than a V8!
I'm a child of the 60's...Chevy Impala SS 409, Olds 442, Pontiac GTO, Mustang Mach 1, Barracuda etc. Those were the muscle car days and not a single one of those cars had a 6.... They depended solely on displacement and carburation hence no 6's.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:

I do understand your feelings. But for me, a performance car has to have a V8 in it. V8 's when built right sound, feel, and perform like no other. True enough, it isn't the 60's, but for us guys who were there, nothing else will do.
I actually feel sorry for the younger guys , who never had the chance to experience the muscle car era.
I'll keep my 5.0. Regardless of what may be built afterwards.
Nothing, sounds or feels like a V8, be it 4 cylinder turbo charged, 6 cylinder supercharged. Once you have been there .No going back.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In the not-too-distant future, expect to see V8s in passenger cars completely phased out. I'd estimate within 10 years, you won't be able to buy a V8-powered car. Light trucks will have V8s for maybe 15 years more at the outside, but they will cost much more than a turbo V6, or 4-cylinder. Dealers probably won't even stock them- V8s will be special order only.
Thank the federal government and their always more stringent control over the auto industry. CAFE standards coming up are already horribly tight, and will get much worse- for no appreciable reason, other than eventually coercing the American public to give up private vehicle ownership completely.
Anyway, I'll enjoy my 5.0 while I can, and I'll see if there's some way I can afford one of those upcoming Alfa Romeo 4C's in the next couple of years. If I have to drive a 4, it'll be a much smaller, lighter car than the Mustang.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
But for me, a performance car has to have a V8 in it. V8 's when built right sound, feel, and perform like no other. True enough, it isn't the 60's, but for us guys who were there, nothing else will do.
AMEN!!

Quote:
I actually feel sorry for the younger guys , who never had the chance to experience the muscle car era.
YES! A good example of this very thing is with my 22-year old son (who BTW is working on his MBA). I opened up the new 2014 V8 a little and asked him what he thought of its chilling exhaust note. He simply stated that it did nothing for him. BTW his goal is to get a Ford Fiesta. He is what I'd call the typical up-and-coming young professional who thinks "green".

Quote:
I'll keep my 5.0. Regardless of what may be built afterwards. Nothing, sounds or feels like a V8.
My very first new car was a 1969 Mustang 302 fastback and my current 2014 5.0 will more than likely be my last new car. I'm babying it like I did my 2012 V6. I plan on keeping it 'till death which means that it will be inherited by one of the kids who will in no way appreciate it like I do.

PONY Member

Not my family dude! My sons, 28, 26 and 23 ALL owned/own and loved V-8's. Trust me, when my BOSS is passed to the three of them it will be pampered, and properly cared for.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I love the old 70s muscle cars. None of today's cars can sound anything like them. Everything is too electronic, too smooth. So, a V8 today only offers a low, loud sound. Nothing like what V8s used to sound like.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
I love the old 70s muscle cars. None of today's cars can sound anything like them. Everything is too electronic, too smooth. So, a V8 today only offers a low, loud sound. Nothing like what V8s used to sound like.
It"s still better than a 4 Banger Eco Boost !!!!!!!!
PONY Member

This is a lot of misguided marketing ********. The EB has a lot of interest not because its 'green' but because its a novelty. A little turbo that growls and makes good power.

If Ford is trying to sell Mustangs to pajama boys, they are off target. The effeminate youths that are 'green' arent into cars and wont be buying Mustangs anyway.

The modern aluminum V8 isnt going anywhere.

By the way, guys in my age group that I know, lates 20's/early 30's dont give a **** about being 'green' and want power and a gurgling motor orchestrating a symphony of 8 cylinders.

All you old guys need to relax, our V8 Mustangs arent going anywhere. Remember the auto industry is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the US. They literally have billions to play with when it comes to lobbying and influence. Once the Obama regime is deposed, many of its anti-auto bureacrats will also be gotten rid of and thus over the next 10-20 years, alot of loopholes and ammendments will be made to EPA and CAFE regulations.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
PONY Member

Quote:

The sound of a car is a huge part of the experience. I think Lexus consulted Yamaha when they were tuning the sound of the V10 in the LFA. I mean, how much cooler would the Nissan GTR be if it had a high revving V8 in it!

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page