New 5.0 Engine ticking sound - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sean Reilly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

New 5.0 Engine ticking sound

Does anyone know if the new 435HP 5.0 engine has resolved the ticking sounds from the previous generation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014
PONY Member

Garage
I'm not sure anyone can answer that for you I haven't seen anyone on the site post about having one yet. I hope someone gets one soon because I'd like to here what they think about it.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I was getting ready to say "Already?!?!?!?!?!"

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I was getting ready to say "Already?!?!?!?!?!"
lol...waiting on the threads about how crappy the Chinese manual transmission is also.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Tick Tick Tick

Hopefully we won't have to go through all this Bull s*** this time around with the new platform. I really hope Ford addressed the previous issues.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine never ticked so in honor of the MT82 back lash towards people with problems, i would like to officially declare the ticking and #8 issues as "fake" as well.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Did the problem with ticking continue all the way through the 14s? I always wondered if thats why ford nixed the oil cooling jets but i guess that had nothing to do with the ticking???

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah it continued all the way through.

I still maintain that the Ford V8's all the way through the modular, OHC (both SOHC and DOHC) era regardless of displacement are some of the nosiest engines ever produced when it comes to the underhood racket made by all those extra moving parts versus the GM OHV engines of the same time frame.

Most of the clicking and ticking we hear is normal for our engines. My 97 F150, 2001 Grand Marquis (4.6L 2V), 2004 F150 (5.4L 3V) and both Mustangs (Coyotes) click and tick their collective asses off, to the point that I had stopped noticing it until someone else brings it up.

I will say that while people were searching for causes for some of the louder ticks, problems have been found with specific parts and pieces (the belt tensioner on the Coyote is one that comes to mind), so kudos to those who took the time to track these issues down.

That said, most of the ticking is absolutely normal, the variance being one's own sensitivity to those noises.

Both 4.6's and the 5.4 that I previously owned all went well north of 100K miles before I offloaded them and are still running for their new owners today. I never had a problem with any of them. I expect that both of my Coyotes will out last the cars they are installed in, too be honest.

And I am sure that the 2015+ Coyote will be noisy as well, its the nature of the beast.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Yeah it continued all the way through.

I still maintain that the Ford V8's all the way through the modular, OHC (both SOHC and DOHC) era regardless of displacement are some of the nosiest engines ever produced when it comes to the underhood racket made by all those extra moving parts versus the GM OHV engines of the same time frame.

Most of the clicking and ticking we hear is normal for our engines. My 97 F150, 2001 Grand Marquis (4.6L 2V), 2004 F150 (5.4L 3V) and both Mustangs (Coyotes) click and tick their collective asses off, to the point that I had stopped noticing it until someone else brings it up.

I will say that while people were searching for causes for some of the louder ticks, problems have been found with specific parts and pieces (the belt tensioner on the Coyote is one that comes to mind), so kudos to those who took the time to track these issues down.

That said, most of the ticking is absolutely normal, the variance being one's own sensitivity to those noises.

Both 4.6's and the 5.4 that I previously owned all went well north of 100K miles before I offloaded them and are still running for their new owners today. I never had a problem with any of them. I expect that both of my Coyotes will out last the cars they are installed in, too be honest.

And I am sure that the 2015+ Coyote will be noisy as well, its the nature of the beast.

Not only is our "Global Moderator" (Rich) 100% Correct in his Reply.....It is also right on Point as far as the "Slightly Upgraded" 2015 Coyote 5.0's are concerned....Because aside from the "Belt Tensioner" issue (which was addressed in '13-MY's with Both the upgraded Pulley, and the Recasted front Timing Chain Cover, by deleting some of the "Zig-Zagged" reinforcing cross hatching that could interfere with the rotating Belt.)
These 4 Valve TiVCT Bullets are inherently a bit more noisy than Both of the GT 500 engines (5.4 Condor and the 5.8 Trinity) and the Older 4 Valve 4.6's (Cobra and Lincoln Mark VII's and Aviators) due to the fact that those 4 Valve Engines have "Fixed" Camshafts.
These Ultra Complex Coyote 5.0's are louder due to the constant "Snapping-Clicking" that is manufactured by those 4 Camshafts Constantly adjusting the timing of those 2 Banks of 16 Valves on each side.....And then throw in the fact that this is done with Torque Actuation that drives the Coyote's TiVCT's Phasers, instead of implementing the previously used (Slower to react) "Oil Pressure" solenoid type Cam Phasers, like those that were used in both iterations of the 3 Valve VCT Modulars, like in the 2005-2010 4.6L Mustangs, and the 5.4L F-150's.......

But again! With 32 Valves, 32 Roller Fingers, 32 Lash Adjusters, along with 4 Cams that are Constantly adjusting to Timing tables being sent to them Via "Signals" from the CPS (Crankshaft Positioning Sensors) Reluctor wheel, into the PCM, then to the Phaser solenoids....Well its a Miracle that the Coyote 5.0 ARE as Quiet a they are!!!......

Sean.
Kapuyawn likes this.

Last edited by Sean Reilly; 10-16-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spelling!....Who do I think that I am, NOT using "Spell Check"!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014
Apprentice

i listened to 3 GT idle at the dealership, all with less than 100 miles. only one of them ticked...and it sounded identical to the tick in my 12 gt (a tick that started at 89miles)

My 2017 GT just started ticking at 400 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page