VIDEO: AmericanMuscle 2015 Mustang GT Dyno and Track Results - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014 Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

VIDEO: AmericanMuscle 2015 Mustang GT Dyno and Track Results

Fresh off of the trailer! We took delivery of a few more 2015 Mustangs to add to our ever growing fleet of S550's.

- 2015 Mustang GT PP / 50 Years Appearance / Manual / Black
- 2015 Mustang GT PP / Manual / Competition Orange
- 2015 Mustang EcoBoost PP / 50 Years Appearance / Auto / Competition Orange

Naturally in true AmericanMuscle fashion we had to do a smokin' burnout, hit the dyno and the track to get our baseline numbers and give you guys the performance enthusiast's opinion of these new S550s!

Stay tuned for a full review and tons of other new videos dropping soon!

Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014
Rookie

Thanks for posting guys, good videos

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014
PONY Member

Boy, I really am shocked.

I get that the new Mustang has a nicer interior, and a better ride.

Sadly, Ford really seems to have dropped the ball on performance. I'm not particularly interested in drag racing, other than as a test of performance capabilities. But the fact that a 2012 GT is faster than the new GT, is a laughable failure.

And most sadly of all, it really does look as if the IRS is not tuned for performance, even with the PP. Yes, it rides nicer, but it still wheel-hops all over the place, and will need serious after-market up-grades to make it what it should have been in the first place. Ford went to a lot of expense to switch to an IRS, so why wouldn't they get it right from the start? Why does the after-market have to fix all these issues, why can't Ford get it right?

Of course, this is pretty par for the course with a new car. Manufacturers like Chevrolet continue to make small improvements to cars as they go through their life-cycle. But Ford? Doesn't seem like they really do much once a car is introduced, as the years go by. 2011-2014 didn't see any suspension improvements at all, nothing got better or more durable. The 2014 cars have the same suspension durability problems that the 2011 cars had.

With my 2012 Brembo car (30k miles), I am already replacing rear shocks with Koni yellows, and front Knoi yellow struts will be next. I had a knocking from the rear suspension, and the rear shocks are broken. And I can envision replacing the front and rear LCAs with better, after-market units pretty soon.

Why Ford can't do this from the factory is beyond me. Ford has gotten it's stock suspension tuning working rather well for average drivers, but the quality and durability of the parts just isn't there. Shocks and struts don't last very long, and the control arms need to be replaced due to serious issues with durability and reliability.

So as always, it's up to the after-market to clean-up Ford's engineering mess. Those companies are going to have to fix the wheel hop that exists even on the PP IRS. Whether the all-new front & rear suspensions are engineered and built with durable LCAs, ball-joints, links etc., remains to be seen.

As far as power.....well, it looks as if Ford has just thrown up it's hands and decided that their stock vehicle is fine being too heavy, and down on power-to-weight. It's like they've just surrendered the Mustangs performance challenges to the after-market, instead of doing what they said they were going to do from the start, which was to make the car smaller and lighter.

Yes, it's a nicer car. I didn't want a "nicer" car, I wanted a faster, smaller, lighter, better engineered, and more durable car. Hopefully the new suspensions are built with quality parts, that last for 100k+ miles, instead of having to be replaced at 30k miles.

The next step is to get Randy Pobst into a 2015 PP GT, and see if the car actually handles well. If it doesn't handle as well as 2011-2014 BPP/TP cars.....well......I will be more than shocked. For all the engineering Ford put into the suspensions, it better dust an M3 on an actual track. But with it being heavier, I doubt it will.

Remember back in 2010 when Pobst drove both a BPP GT and an M3, and they were performance equals in track times? That is why I bought my car. If the new PP GT isn't as fast as the current M4 on a track, the car is a total failure for me. Since the power-to-weight is down, the new Mustang better handle and brake much better, if it hopes to rival an M3.

I know, I know. If I didn't want to have to replace suspension bits at 30k, I should have spent tens of thousands of dollars more and gotten a higher-quality car like an M3. But damn, is it really that expensive to source higher quality suspension parts? And I know, $2-3k in suspension parts to have a quality suspension isn't really all that bad, considering the Mustang's pricing.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

Last edited by NoVa5.0; 10-12-2014 at 09:42 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014 Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamidar05 View Post
Thanks for posting guys, good videos
Anytime! Thanks for tuning in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
The next step is to get Randy Pobst into a 2015 PP GT, and see if the car actually handles well. If it doesn't handle as well as 2011-2014 BPP/TP cars.....well......I will be more than shocked. For all the engineering Ford put into the suspensions, it better dust an M3 on an actual track. But with it being heavier, I doubt it will.

Remember back in 2010 when Pobst drove both a BPP GT and an M3, and they were performance equals in track times? That is why I bought my car. If the new PP GT isn't as fast as the current M4 on a track, the car is a total failure for me. Since the power-to-weight is down, the new Mustang better handle and brake much better, if it hopes to rival an M3.

I know, I know. If I didn't want to have to replace suspension bits at 30k, I should have spent tens of thousands of dollars more and gotten a higher-quality car like an M3. But damn, is it really that expensive to source higher quality suspension parts? And I know, $2-3k in suspension parts to have a quality suspension isn't really all that bad, considering the Mustang's pricing.
There's a lot of info in your post and I hear you on some if not most of this! I think they're going to be making some subtle modifications for the 2016 year and beyond...I've had the pleasure of seeing Pobst race in a variety of different cars and I'd really like to see what he could so with the 2015 against the M4 to get a better idea of how they'd stack up against the competition!

Alex

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Boy, I really am shocked.

I get that the new Mustang has a nicer interior, and a better ride.

Sadly, Ford really seems to have dropped the ball on performance. I'm not particularly interested in drag racing, other than as a test of performance capabilities. But the fact that a 2012 GT is faster than the new GT, is a laughable failure.

And most sadly of all, it really does look as if the IRS is not tuned for performance, even with the PP. Yes, it rides nicer, but it still wheel-hops all over the place, and will need serious after-market up-grades to make it what it should have been in the first place. Ford went to a lot of expense to switch to an IRS, so why wouldn't they get it right from the start? Why does the after-market have to fix all these issues, why can't Ford get it right?

Of course, this is pretty par for the course with a new car. Manufacturers like Chevrolet continue to make small improvements to cars as they go through their life-cycle. But Ford? Doesn't seem like they really do much once a car is introduced, as the years go by. 2011-2014 didn't see any suspension improvements at all, nothing got better or more durable. The 2014 cars have the same suspension durability problems that the 2011 cars had.

With my 2012 Brembo car (30k miles), I am already replacing rear shocks with Koni yellows, and front Knoi yellow struts will be next. I had a knocking from the rear suspension, and the rear shocks are broken. And I can envision replacing the front and rear LCAs with better, after-market units pretty soon.

Why Ford can't do this from the factory is beyond me. Ford has gotten it's stock suspension tuning working rather well for average drivers, but the quality and durability of the parts just isn't there. Shocks and struts don't last very long, and the control arms need to be replaced due to serious issues with durability and reliability.

So as always, it's up to the after-market to clean-up Ford's engineering mess. Those companies are going to have to fix the wheel hop that exists even on the PP IRS. Whether the all-new front & rear suspensions are engineered and built with durable LCAs, ball-joints, links etc., remains to be seen.

As far as power.....well, it looks as if Ford has just thrown up it's hands and decided that their stock vehicle is fine being too heavy, and down on power-to-weight. It's like they've just surrendered the Mustangs performance challenges to the after-market, instead of doing what they said they were going to do from the start, which was to make the car smaller and lighter.

Yes, it's a nicer car. I didn't want a "nicer" car, I wanted a faster, smaller, lighter, better engineered, and more durable car. Hopefully the new suspensions are built with quality parts, that last for 100k+ miles, instead of having to be replaced at 30k miles.

+1 on suspension think my front left lower control arm needs to be replaced
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Anytime! Thanks for tuning in!

There's a lot of info in your post and I hear you on some if not most of this! I think they're going to be making some subtle modifications for the 2016 year and beyond...I've had the pleasure of seeing Pobst race in a variety of different cars and I'd really like to see what he could so with the 2015 against the M4 to get a better idea of how they'd stack up against the competition!

Alex
At this point, subtle mods aren't going to cut it. They need to drop 400-600 lbs in weight, and get the suspension sorted.

I am going to go waaaaay out on a limb here, and assume that even the Performance Package shocks and struts won't be anywhere near quality and firm enough.

Ford screwed up big time. All they needed to do was take the 2014 car, and shrink it by 10% in every dimension. They didn't even need to do an IRS, just use better suspension components with the live-axel rear-end.

Do a bit of improvements to the MT86, and it would have been GTG.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014
Apprentice

Thanks for the videos. While I generally agree with NoVa, drag racing is only part of the equation. I'd like to see how it stacks up out on Mazda's Laguna Seca. This is where Randy Pobst put the Mustang up against the Camaro and basically stated "Don't try that in a Mustang." OK now Ford put in IRS lets see if it did any good and call GM for a rematch.

I could care less about the M4. A luxury German sedan versus an American Pony car. Lets keep it real with American muscle versus American muscle. Besides for the cost that the M4 I can get the GT350/550/Mach1 or whatever the heck its going to be called.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014 Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Car guys rejoice! Looking like someone heard us and MT put Randy In the car! Not a bad review!

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Car guys rejoice! Looking like someone heard us and MT put Randy In the car! Not a bad review!
Nice Review....I was there at Cecil last Wed. night, and there was a Blue 2011 with Shelby Wheels running a Blistering [email protected]+ with ONLY Mod being a Blower!! That was Impressive!!!!

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
PONY Member

Motor trend valculated the 2011 Mustang GT to have 370 HP to the wheels, and about 435HP at the crank.
So I figured Ford wasn't exactly giving the GT a power bump but instead playing a numbers game.
the stock dyno average for the 2011-2014 GTs give you the exact same numbers a 2015 does.
We're left here with just a heavier more luxurious car.
this is good for me because I can score a decently priced 400 hp car for cheaper .

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
GT Member

Im disappointed in the 1/4 mile times, because that is what I do with my Stangs. Handling while important overall is not that much to me since I have never taken a car to its handling limits. Even my SN95 94 GT could handle to suit my modest needs.

I was hoping for the car to be mid to low 12s stock. I always mod my car and a supercharger will be going on this one, but its gonna suck for the first couple months when its stock and my 1/4 mile times are = if not slower than the 11-14s.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
Apprentice

Quote:
Yep Mustang lost to the Camaro by 2 second in the H2H at Willow Springs with Randy in both cars.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page