Motor Trend--15 Camaro 1LE PP vs 15 Mustang GT PP--Randy Pobst - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Interesting read and Pobst review.

Ford left too much on the table and the car comes up short IMO. The Stang use to be the Best of Breed when it came to the pony cars and the camaro has held that title since 2013. I find it inexcusable for a all new Mustang not to best its old competition. It only gets worse when the new camaro launches in about a year from now.

Looks are subjective but I was never wowed by the looks, which really put more emphasis on the performance numbers. I agree with the article on the headlights and overhang. The Stang they have been showing for Sema, at least from the side view I saw had much better headlights.

IMO the S550 is a huge step in the right direction but comes up short.

Anybody see the Breenspeed video and the wheel hop they experienced... I was like Really, I buy a brand new car and have to turn around and muck with my suspension out of the gate, Like I did with my 2012 all over again. Come on Man.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I can't help but notice the Mustang versus Camaro battle seems to revolve around street and track performance. The Mustang rated better on the street manners and brakes, more comfortable/better interior, where as the Camaro was better very marginally on the track. GM was smart to put wide wheels and tires and good shocks on the Camaro to beat the Mustang, by the slimmest of margins, on the track. Imagine if ford had done that with the Mustang! If I was going to buy a new Mustang, I would have no problem upgrading to wider wheels and tires and better suspension. You gotta love the pony wars, the improvements to our vehicles would have evolved at a much slower pace without them. Mustang is still the best looking pony car and I wouldn't be without one.

2011 GT black,6mt,3.73,Brembo,Vorschlag/Bilstein/Eibach, Scott Drake LCA brackets, adj. panhard bar, JHR shifter, bracket, and clutch line, Metco upper control arm & bracket, J&M Extreme lower control arms, RTR front spoiler, coming eventually Forgestar 18x11 wheels.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
GM was smart to put wide wheels and tires and good shocks on the Camaro to beat the Mustang, by the slimmest of margins
Two seconds is not a slim margin.

GT Member

Two seconds is a change in tires away.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Ford appreciates your "blind" enthusiasm And I do too, as a Ford stockholder. Unfortunately there needs to be a lot more people like you, per year, buying the Mustang Maybe Europe/Asia and the "Ecoboost 4Cyl" will find those buyers. Although about 2/3rds of the Mustangs sold are V6's, Ford needs the big V8 buyers to increase the overall product margin. If "fastest in the neighborhood" is your goal (Younger buyers), then the current performance isn't a real plus for sales.
Maybe, but my car has 420HP, I don`t go to the track, so there is legally no place I can use that much power, let alone a car with 6-700HP. I can foresee a day probably in the not too distant future, where either the government, or the insurance companies (or both) will step in like in the `70s & once again put the kibosh on high horsepower american cars. Hope I`m wrong though.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Thank you .............
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
GT Member

Quote:
For a lot of people, the track (road course) performance isn't important at all - and that is fine. But if it does matter to you, then listening to Pobst gives you a real look at the performance differences - and it isn't just tires. Its the spring stiffness, the damper performance, the ABS performance and probably some tire performance. Pobst understands that getting those "two seconds," takes better overall car balance. Again, to most it doesn't matter. But getting it better isn't as trivial as a different set of tires. And, for most drivers, the difference would be much greater then 2 seconds. The things that Pobst can do - with a poorer handling car - is very different then the amateur track driver. So I suspect the Camaro will make a lot more people feel comfortable driving it hard in the "twisties."

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

Last edited by Radioguy; 10-29-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Apprentice

Take heart, fellow Mustang fans. They may have dropped the ball on the IRS, but thanks to Ford's foresight, we can now get a Mustang with an Ecoboost 4-banger. Let's see Chevy equal that!

We just have to understand that in place of a Camaro-killer, we now have a Prius-beater.

'13 V6 Premium Coupe, Deep Impact Blue w/pony pkg & MT82 - bone stock

I drive it like I own it.
PONY Member

Quote:
Just skip down to the conclusion.

On the Chevrolet Camaro, Do The Tires Make The Car? - Motor Trend

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Not a surprise - to people that understand vehicle dynamics - but still a nice piece of analysis by MT...:

"Conclusion
From this test, we can conclude that the Z/28's advantage is not simply a better set of tires. Mounting the Z/28's wheels and tires to a Camaro 1LE did not allow the 1LE to meet or exceed the performance of the stock Z/28. In fact, in half of our tests, the 1LE fitted with Z/28 tires failed to outperform the Z/28 fitted with 1LE tires, much less the stock Z/28. Tires, then, are not the be-all, end-all of handling. They are part of the equation, and improving the tires can improve performance. However, the tire must also work with the suspension, the brakes, the steering, and the chassis. Handling is holistic, and many variables are involved. Spring rates, shock rates (both compression and rebound), anti-roll bar stiffness, bushing stiffness, suspension geometry, alignment, chassis stiffness, and more can all affect how well a car handles. While improving any one factor can increase performance, the system as a whole must be considered not only to more meaningfully improve performance, but also to retain or improve the driving experience. After all, does it matter how big the skidpad numbers are if the car is unpleasant to drive? The Camaro Z/28, then, is not just an expensive set of tires and a wing. It's what Chevrolet promised: a serious track car that's been modified from the ground up for better performance."

Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
Apprentice

I just feel like adding in that the 1LE is riding on the same suspension as the ZL1. Its basically a ZL1 with less power. Tires help in corning but they aren't going to make up 2 seconds in that comparison. Personally I track and daily drive my Mustang and while its awesome to have great handling on the track I do like having a good ride on a normal road. I have sat in a few Camaros though and still don't like the fact I can see crap out of them and I don't care for the interior.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasis View Post
I just feel like adding in that the 1LE is riding on the same suspension as the ZL1. Its basically a ZL1 with less power. Tires help in corning but they aren't going to make up 2 seconds in that comparison. Personally I track and daily drive my Mustang and while its awesome to have great handling on the track I do like having a good ride on a normal road. I have sat in a few Camaros though and still don't like the fact I can see crap out of them and I don't care for the interior.
ZL1 has the Magnetic Ride Control suspension that is not on the 1LE

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Wanna end this "discussion" once and for all? Put the same size tires on an s550 and see what happens. Then we can talk dynamics. Changing tires back and forth from a 1le to a z28 is just short of stupid when you're trying to determine the chassis dynamics of a Ford. And yes, I get what they were doing. Barely relevant.

Edit- I'm not trying to defend Ford because I agree that they left too much on the table and too much weight on the car. The argument over which has the better chassis is dumb without a tires to tires comparison

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
ZL1 has the Magnetic Ride Control suspension that is not on the 1LE
^^^+1 Actually the ZL1 and 1SS suspensions are very different (See attached)....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ss.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	390497   Click image for larger version

Name:	zl1.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	390505  

GT Member

To me, the last gen 10-14 Mustangs have ALWAYS had too skinny tires and too narrow (not enough offset (stance is tires way under the car). These cars also sit too high and the suspension is WAY too soft unless you are just cruising around town getting groceries and starbux. If Ford was going to offer a performance package, track pack, whatever you want to call it, it should have had even wider tires and wheels and much more suspension stiffness. Before the 15' I don't think the track pack even got bigger wheels and tires vs the brembro cars or better shocks but I could be wrong. If it did, it wasn't by much. It seems it still remains, if you want to improve the Mustang, you have to buy new shocks/struts and wider wheels and tires w more offset. I would think they would have covered that this go around after all the talk of staying up w Porsche etc.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page