Motor Trend--15 Camaro 1LE PP vs 15 Mustang GT PP--Randy Pobst - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Question

I had a chance to test drive a '14 1LE, and this car was a beast stock. Great handling car, even better compared to my '11 5.0 with Brembo package, 275's Michelin SS, Adjustable sway bars, KONI, GT500 mounts & Steeda springs, that 1LE Camaro does not need nothing to improve its handling.

I already tested the '15 Mustang GT, I wonder if this car handling could be improved with KONI Yellows, 18X10 wheels & 285's tires (?) (Could it beat the 1LE just with this set up?

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
And Car & Driver agrees with you :
"Not A Pretty Cabin With the exception of the $1995 Recaro seats and the material covering the steering wheel and shifter, the rest of the Camaro interior reminds us of the General Motors that went bankrupt. If it weren’t for the interior, nothing about the 1LE would feel cheap.
And yet, we’d be willing to overlook the interior and the lack of outward visibility to park a Camaro SS 1LE in the garage."

C&D are very high on the Camaro SS 1LE performance, but don't like the interior or the visibility.

2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE Test – Review – Car and Driver

There is no doubt that FORD could engineer the "track pack Mustang" to be every bit as good as the Camaro SS 1LE. I suspect their marketing data has told them that something else is preferred by the biggest group of their "performance buying" customers. Pobst describes the track pack performance as "floaty" with springs and dampers that are still too soft - and he is an expert at analyzing the performance of a car on the track. I'm sure the FORD engineers knew just what they were getting with the springs and dampers they chose for the special package.

At 8:15 and 10:30 in the video, he describes exactly what I felt in my little layman's test drive. You can see the difference in the lean of the two cars between 8:15 and 8:30 or so. Let's hope the we don't have to go to a much-higer priced GT350 or Mach to compete with Chevy's $3500 track pack option.

2012 Boss Yellow Blaze, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
2012 MCA PP Sterling/Lava
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3333 View Post
Let's hope the we don't have to go to a much-higer priced GT350 or Mach to compete with Chevy's $3500 track pack option.
You mean like the signifcantly more expensive Boss 302 that was consistently shown to be slower than the 1LE in similar comparisons?

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
You mean like the signifcantly more expensive Boss 302 that was consistently shown to be slower than the 1LE in similar comparisons?
That is what the objective tests said....
Ford Mustang Boss 302 vs. Chevy Camaro SS 1LE - Popular Mechanics

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
BOSS Member

IMHO...this is all very typical of a "ground up new car"....it will all be fixed by year 3.....along with all the other mechanical, electronic issues that are about to show their ugly heads!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
MSRP of a base 2105 GT PP with Recaros is 37k. Boss 302 with Recaros MSRP'd for about 41k. And I'm ignoring additions with the Boss that don't come with the GT that probably close the 4k gap, depending on your outlook (better engine, car cover, stripes, free TrackAttack day...).

The GT350 is likely going to priced much closer to the outgoing GT500 than the current base GT - most guesses start in the 50's.

I personally don't care about a couple seconds or tenths difference in speed. I'll never race my cars. I care how it feels when I drive it. See below.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Everyone can find information to bolster their case. From this article, here's the sentence that mattered to me: " The SS 1LE wins by the numbers, but the Boss 302 delights the seat of the pants."

That's how a feel about the Boss vs. the '15 GT as well (see https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...62-post56.html for more blathering by me). So far, that is. I know it will improve, they always do. I just don't want to pay a 15-30k premium to get there.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3333 View Post
Everyone can find information to bolster their case. From this article, here's the sentence that mattered to me: " The SS 1LE wins by the numbers, but the Boss 302 delights the seat of the pants."
Actually the next sentence is a little strange....
"The Mustang, while a bit slower, is more fun: louder, more engaging, and lighter on its feet. Quick steering inputs, shifting skill, and managing ready oversteer are required to go fast, but that's what makes it good" It seems "more fun and engaging" translates to "shifting skill required" and "managing over-steering required." I guess some people might consider that fun

Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
PONY Member
5.0L Member

While 2-seconds on a track is significant, it means absolutely nothing on the street as a daily driver back in the real world. We already know the Mustang is on equal terms for acceleration, and Ford does it with a significantly smaller engine while returning better fuel economy along with much better ergonomics over the Camaro (matters in the real world vs the track).

Camaro's have, in general, handled better than Mustangs. It's not that Chevy does it better, its just that Chevy is more willing to step over a proverbial line in the sand to reach a specific goal. In this case, Chevy put more track tuned suspension on the Camaro while Ford put a better package together for the street driver that wants a little more than a base GT.

As for tires, this is huge, and before Randy even drove the two cars on the track I knew the results would favor the Camaro specifically due to the tires in addition to the more track ready suspension.

I don't know about you, but driving and living with 285mm rubber on a 10" wheel up front is not enjoyable, and I think Ford always keeps the daily driver in mind.

All that said, bragging rights are bragging rights, good job Chevy, now go fix the stupid interior, unfriendly ergonomics, and piss poor visibility.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #85 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Well, as Mustang forum members, we can tell Chevy to fix their "stupid interior," "unfriendly ergonomics," and "piss poor visibility," till we're blue in the face.......Chevy responds: "talk to the hand, the face isn't listening!" The fact is, the Chevy Camaro has outsold both the Mustang and the Challenger for the past several years, actually since 2011 I believe, so Chevy pays our criticism no mind.

Jedi Dave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Rookie

I wanted a 1LE and looked and drove one and loved the car. It is a beast but like everyone knows interior sucks and I could not see out of car. I was driving on 4 lane hwy with traffic it was not fun and very rough riding. My wife wanted the Chevy but this is a extra car just a fun car and very pleased I found a great deal on on Mustang see signature. We plan to put 10,000 miles a year local cruising and fun trips and I know the Mustang will be much more pleasant on these trips. Also use 1LE were $35,000+ and I got mine for just over $25,000 with only 4k miles.

2014 GT Premium Race Red, black leather, MT-82, 3.55 limited slip, RR sensing/security pkg, comfort package, 19" painted alum wheels, rear video camera.
post #87 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
burttrans:

I agree with your assessment 100%, but consumers disagree every month snatching up thousands of those Camaros.

Jedi Dave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
burttrans:

I agree with your assessment 100%, but consumers disagree every month snatching up thousands of those Camaros.

Jedi Dave
I know they are a good looking car in my opinion. The Mustang I picked up is a lot of car for the money. I could not find a Camaro in that price range; and I am sure my wife and I will be very happy with the Mustang.

2014 GT Premium Race Red, black leather, MT-82, 3.55 limited slip, RR sensing/security pkg, comfort package, 19" painted alum wheels, rear video camera.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burttrans View Post
I know they are a good looking car in my opinion. The Mustang I picked up is a lot of car for the money. I could not find a Camaro in that price range; and I am sure my wife and I will be very happy with the Mustang.
And there is a "testament" to the resale value of the Camaro. But they are not my favorite 2015 pony car.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
burttrans:

Jedi Dave
Apparently Ford sold almost 9,000 Mustangs in November 2014. This number not only doubled the number of Chevrolet Camaro's sold, but outsold the sales of the Camaro and Challenger combined.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-m...bined-november

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger

Last edited by kn7671; 01-01-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page